Computer specs
Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52
i7 8750h
GTX 1050ti
16GB DDR4
128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD
Notable changes
January 02, 2021 - Removed Malwarebytes to avoid conflicts with KTS
Removed KVRT because it is very unlikely to a malware disable Kaspersky and i always have my rescue disk 80% of the times and added Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Replaced Malwarebytes Browser Guard with Bitdefender Traffic Light
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
So, this is the security config i use on my laptop, feel free to give any thoughts about it

Kaspersky Total Security works properly alone as it's a full suite, you are at risk for conflicts running even Malwarebytes Premium as real-time protection!

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

You are downloading malware samples, glad to see that.
What defence have you implemented to prevent your personal data, other users data (you mention 3 people use this device) as well as outside world from being attacked? (Apart from VM)...

Thiag0

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 2, 2021
I might be wrong here, but by having KVRT and KTS at the same time, you're not going to achieve any different results considering that they're the same product? I would replace KVRT with either HitmanPro or Emsisoft Emergency Kit. Looks decent otherwise :)
I have it incase something happens (like if a malware disables Kaspersky somehow and i don't have access to my flash drive which contains the rescue disk)

(EDIT: Was thinking more and yep, KVRT is not needed at all. I'll get Emsisoft Emergency Kit to replace it)
Kaspersky Total Security works properly alone as it's a full suite, you are at risk for conflicts running even Malwarebytes Premium as real-time protection!
I'll probably reconsider using Malwarebytes along with Kaspersky, i thought it would run fine with KTS as a complement

(EDIT: removed Malwarebytes)
You are downloading malware samples, glad to see that.
What defence have you implemented to prevent your personal data, other users data (you mention 3 people use this device) as well as outside world from being attacked? (Apart from VM)...
I've set maximum protection on Configure_Defender along with some Controlled Folder tweaks, also enabled all the Core Isolation settings and i will install a VPN

Thanks for the feedback guys

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Device recovery & settings: Kaspersky Rescue Disk -> KRD usually is used to disinfect a system but not to recover a full damaged system... so here You should use solutions such as Macrium Reflect Free and/or AOEMI BackUper..

Thiag0

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 2, 2021
Device recovery & settings: Kaspersky Rescue Disk -> KRD usually is used to disinfect a system but not to recover a full damaged system...
I do regular Windows files and system image backups to my external HDD, so i can restore it when there's any critical issues, but i'm thinking if i should use another backuper along with the normal Windows backup

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Does Defraggler add something to the already present optimize drives from Windows?
If you don't use the advanced modes of uBlock Origin you can replace it and ClearURLs with AdGuard using stealth mode.
One less extension to maintain.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Does Defraggler add something to the already present optimize drives from Windows?
If you don't use the advanced modes of uBlock Origin you can replace it and ClearURLs with AdGuard using stealth mode.
One less extension to maintain.
Also didn't hear many good things about Defraggler. Quite outdated and can't keep up with Windows built in defragmentation.
Screenshot.PNG

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I use Defraggler for HDD only and specifically to defrag individual fragmented files instead of whole drive. AFAIK this is not possible ATM with Windows built-in defragmenter. I also know that it doesn't help with speed much, but I still like to do it. Maybe it's just my OCD :)

Thiag0

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 2, 2021
In the next few days i'll be updating this (and the security on my laptop of course) with some changes, as some of the stuff listed is useless (like using Configure_Defender with KTS set up as the main AV)

I will consider using Macrium Reflect for backups, and remove MSERT (because you can just set Defender to do a automatic periodic scan)

Again, thanks for all the feedback

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Device recovery & settings: Kaspersky Rescue Disk -> KRD usually is used to disinfect a system but not to recover a full damaged system... so here You should use solutions such as Macrium Reflect Free and/or AOEMI BackUper..

I second what he is trying to mention to you. You should use a backup tool beyond Windows built in backup tool.

I do regular Windows files and system image backups to my external HDD, so i can restore it when there's any critical issues, but i'm thinking if i should use another backuper along with the normal Windows backup

If you ever get burnt once @Thiag0 on Window's built in tools you'll know what I'm saying - get something that will work well outside of Windows itself. I had a backup a long time ago fail on me and man I wasn't happy, but I sure did learn my lesson! What's the lesson? Don't trust one tool to provide you with that recovery point and have a 'fail back'/fall back plan in place. I would recommend AOMEI Backupper and Macrium Reflect Free with viBoot all day any day to anyone. Both are free and you cannot go wrong with the use of the tools. AOMEI is quite user friendly and Macrium Reflect is too - some say AOMEI is more user friendly though. If you read my security config from 2019 I go pretty in depth with some stuff about the software. If you want feel free to do so; otherwise, ask away any questions you may have to myself and MT. Lets get you into a better backup method and program.

Links:

AOMEI: Free Backup Software for Windows 10/8/7 - AOMEI Backupper Standard

Macrium Reflect: Macrium Reflect Free

With very nice and great viBoot (info here): Macrium viBoot - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

~Brain

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.