ThreatFire Level 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
is it like a typical AV where you hit update, or do you have to go to the website and download and install the updates?

Yeah, it is typical; it is called "smart update", and you click update, next, next, finish, etc.

Also, I went to the TF website and the download is described as:

ThreatFire Version Information

Current Version: 4.7.0
File Size: 8.59 MB
Release Date: November 25, 2009
Operating System: Windows® 7, Vista™, XP, and 2003

November 2009 was a long time ago!

Well, my TF AV is 19.16 MB, so I guess a lot has changed. NOTICE: the right hand bottom corner of my TF AV screen shot. Do you see where is shows a 2011 copyright? All I know is that it is still supported. I see evidence of it 4 or 5 times a week--database updates. It might look like version 4.7 has been out a few years, but the support is there eventhough they have not revamped the interface or changed the version number.

CHECK THIS OUT: http://www.pctools.com/notices/threatfire/product/spyware-doctor-antivirus/?from=2&sulang=&product=ThreatFire&machine={16374BF0-FC23-4D94-BD50-2D5558C113E6}&os=170393861&version=4.7.0.53&platform=32&click=Upgrade-Now-Link_700

That is the same TF AV. They simply integrated it into Spyware Doctor. That explains the ongoing support.

Notice where it says "PC Tools by Symantec". Symantec is probably who is keeping me up-to-date.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
new versions have been released over the last few or four years.

I did not literally mean "new versions", but I have in fact been receiving product and database updates for over a year (going back towhen I first began using Threatfie AV).

While this TF version is two years old, it is being supported as is (was). It is simply the same old interface. I think that is what is throwing people off. Besides, IMHO, a software interface has nothing to do with how any given antimalware program performs. For instance, MBAM, HitMan, etc. could have not released new "versions" for 5 years while updating the program and signature databases, and I would assume that they would be no less malware killers than they actually are. Dr. WebCureit is a fine example of this; not much has changed, if anything, as far as the interface goes, and you might even see 2009, or 2010, or 2011 on the face of the program, but you know it is a force to be reckoned with and is still very much receiving database and program updates without that fresh and reassuring new interface. I mean, when it comes right down to it, I would think that you can have a program that states that it is version 4.7 when it actually works as if it is version 7.2, less a new interface, because it is receiving program and database updates. But once again, based on the size of my copy of TF AV (19.16 MB), something has obviously been taking place since version 4.7.

The gist, based on my experience, is that while we assume that when new versions and interfaces are what we seek to be reassured a product is still being supported, there are some instances where lack of a fresh interface or version is not indicative of a dead program. Please correct me if I am misinformed.

Keep the input coming. I am enjoying everyone's thoughts.

Here is a link from our friend Bogdan: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-New-Version-ThreatFire-4-7-0-48
Notice that the "4.7" is deceptive--it is all about the 4.7.0.48

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=pc+tools+threatfire&platformSelect=&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows%2CMac%2CiOS%2CAndroid%2CWebware%2CMobile&filter=platform%3DWindows%2CMac%2CiOS%2CAndroid%2CWebware%2CMobile
Notice: 4.7.0.53

Notice: 10/11/2011

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I have received 3 product updates for TF in the last 10 hours.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Product updates or definition updates? PC Tools has not released a new version of TF in over a year.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Product updates or definition updates?

Product updates and database updates.
Today it was "product updates", 3 of them. Yesterday and the day before it was a "database update".

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Well what version are you currently running? No official announcement. Got a change log? I highly doubt its an actually product update as much as it is a data base update. Read this before you go any further. This is why you should not be using TF cause it is no longer being developed.

http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?69663-Smart-Update-keeps-downloading-a-product-update-patch

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
AFAIK,
- PC Tools Internet Security has ThreatFire which is being developed, same reason why Firewall Plus was stopped too. So not completely abandoned.
- ThreatFire is a Behaviour Blocker, unlike an AV it doesn't need regular updates.

Even if ZOU decides to use TF, he has SBIE as main protection.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Sandboxie is not bullet proof unless it is configured to do so. Using an OS which is full of security holes and regularly targeted by hackers Sandboxie is not enough. The fact that PC Tools has not released a new version in over a year pretty much says its dead.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
ZOU1 is pretty knowledgeable so he's pretty safe out there. Threatfire and Sandboxie is enough to keep him protected from threats.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Keeping up with technogy and using programs that combat today's treats is how one stays protected.!Using an outdated OS and a behavior product no longer being developed isn't considered a good means of protection by an advanced user.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Sandboxie has been around for awhile now and malware writes target it. One needs to configure it properly to deny practically everything.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
C'mon dude. Everyone has their own choice on how will they protect themselves. No need to push your ideas down their throats.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Staying up to date is how one stays up on malware. One needs to roll with changes to stay protected. Any advanced user should know this. That's why this whole advanced user label needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Sandboxie has been around for awhile now and malware writes target it. One needs to configure it properly to deny practically everything

The only changes I have made are to "Drop rights" and "Delete contents of sandbox upon closing". Oh, and some cute yellow border around my window to remind me that I am sandboxed.

Keeping up with technogy and using programs that combat today's treats is how one stays protected.!Using an outdated OS and a behavior product no longer being developed isn't considered a good means of protection by an advanced user.

With all the junk that is escaping from the government war department zoos around the world, I will take TF Level 5 any day over signature based detection attempts. A behavior blocker or HIPS is the only chance you stand against wild malware (released via 1 or 2 sources, not hundreds or thousands of malware authors) that can take months for Kaspersky or Dr. Web (for example) to find and develop safeguards against due to sparsity of the malware. I also have my doubts about their ability to issue corresponding security updates, in a timely fashion, that will spot the specialized malware. Meanwhile, you are exposed to it, and your AV, and your realtime anti-malware program has no clue.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I just received another database update and a product update for TF. Someone is supporting it (Symantec?), and has been supporting it since I started using it about a year ago, or a little less. As I have said before, they may not have updated the user interface in almost 10 months, but program and database update are coming to me often.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
ZOU I sent you a link to the PC Tools forum. This problem has been ongoing for June of 2012. Yet another reason not to be using Threatfire. Your better off with CIS. Remove Sandboxie and Threatfire.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Went there.

I have seen many examples of this, but it does not change the fact that I am getting database and product updates 6 or 7 times a week. It is mostly product updates (less a new UI), but there have been several database updates in the last week. This is not unusual.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
ZOU.....Do yourself and your pc a bug favor. Stop using a product that is no longer being developed. Remove Sandboxie and Treatfire. Install CIS. It's that easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.