D

Deleted member 178

edit: the option i described seems to be only for the OAP not OA. sorry.
 
P

Plexx

ZOU1 said:
I am interested in ESET HIPS now. I saw a review that was not as thourough as reviews you do, but I see the potential. Maybe your review will seal the deal.

By the way; I was thinking that OA was Comodo, but now I see it is ESET. I don't usually get that kind of stuff mixed up.. :)

When you set "policy based mode" and test ESET HIPS, throw some really nasty stuff at it and use plenty of malicious .exe samples. That is if you don't mind. I am really interested now.
Latest video shows the potential. http://youtu.be/sZnTPw0wPzs

The follow up video will be to explain and set each mode.
 

Gnosis

New Member
Is ESET AV with HIPS freeware in any form? All I am seeing is free trials with the option to purchase for 40 dollars.
 

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
ZOU1 said:
I am interested in ESET HIPS now. I saw a review that was not as thourough as reviews you do, but I see the potential. Maybe your review will seal the deal.

By the way; I was thinking that OA was Comodo, but now I see it is ESET. I don't usually get that kind of stuff mixed up.. :)

When you set "policy based mode" and test ESET HIPS, throw some really nasty stuff at it and use plenty of malicious .exe samples. That is if you don't mind. I am really interested now.
What do you mean by OA is ESET? I think you got mixed up again or maybe I misunderstand you.

Online Armor is owned by Emsisoft.

Emsisoft and ESET are different but I guess you know that... :huh:
 
P

Plexx

ZOU1 said:
Is ESET AV with HIPS freeware in any form? All I am seeing is free trials with the option to purchase for 40 dollars.
ESET HIPS are built-in within ESET Antivirus 5/Smart Security 5.

Not freeware by any stretch of the imagination. Not sure if there are any further giveaways for an extended period of time.

If you do choose to buy ESET, some sites have it cheaper (at least UK based), compared to ESET Official Site. Beware of which site you choose to buy and ensure to check if the site is reliable etc. I am not a fan of discounts sites so I always buy it off the official retailer, despite sometimes being overpriced compared to other retailers. Better be safe than sorry.
 

Gnosis

New Member
"Emsisoft and ESET are different but I guess you know that.."

No I did not and I feel completely ignorant for it. What is my deal?
I am barely familiar with those two (obviously) and Comodo software.
 

Gnosis

New Member
http://www.pctools.com/product-eol/index/product/threatfire/?ref=cm-c-eol-tf-site&utm_source=pct_cm&utm_medium=site&utm_campaign=cm-c-eol-tf-site&cm_ext_cid=hho_em_pctools_en_tf-site_2012



Thank you for your support of PC Tools ThreatFire™
You are quite welcome!

PC Tools ThreatFire™ has been retired as a standalone product.
Not on my PC.
 
P

Plexx

ZOU1 said:
http://www.pctools.com/product-eol/index/product/threatfire/?ref=cm-c-eol-tf-site&utm_source=pct_cm&utm_medium=site&utm_campaign=cm-c-eol-tf-site&cm_ext_cid=hho_em_pctools_en_tf-site_2012



Thank you for your support of PC Tools ThreatFire™
You are quite welcome!

PC Tools ThreatFire™ has been retired as a standalone product.
Not on my PC.
Does that mean you do not get those random updates? Unless there are security patches that in return break how TF operates on Windows XP/Vista/7, a retired product that is still functional remains a functional product!

Do remember to save the links or installers, although I believe eventually it will make its way to Abandonware.

I remember I had trouble downloading the last build (google wasn't that specific).
 

Gnosis

New Member
I remember I had trouble downloading the last build
I reinstalled it a while back and I had a little trouble too, and I could not retrieve my custom settings that I kept.

Unless there are security patches that in return break how TF operates on Windows XP/Vista/7, a retired product that is still functional remains a functional product!

I agree.

I find the following very interesting:
PC Tools ThreatFire™ has been retired as a standalone product.
They are saying that it is retired only as a STANDALONE product. They use it with their AV, and that site link I provided is up-to-date. That means they are still developing it, but only for use with their AV product.
I have wondered why I continue to get updates. I guess they could be empty packages, but they have significant size to them.