Troubleshoot Thumb Drive will not show all files with Windows

izzy

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 16, 2014
Hello everyone, I am very new to this entire environment. I am hoping that someone can help me. My friend gave me a thumb drive to upload some movies on it. However, when I plugged it into my computer it opened automatically into VLC Media. When I right click on the thumb drive and click open, it only shows me the videos on the drive. When I open the VLC playlist, the entire contents of the thumb drive are shown. There are even some docx files showing up as well. How do I get back to having Windows open the thumb drive entirely. BTW....I saved the entire thumb drive onto my desktop and played with it as well. I still had no luck getting Windows to open it. It says there are only 7 files when I use Windows. 123 files show up in VLC Media. Any help would be greatly appreciated

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
It's geeky, but You may try this little trick:
Open a command prompt (Windows key + R , then type cmd.exe and then hit enter).
In the command prompt, just type the following command (like in the image): attrib -h -r -s /s /d F:\*.* (where F is the letter of your thumb drive) and then hit enter.

Attachments

• 75588.jpg
    75588.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 498
Upvote 0

izzy

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 16, 2014
Thank You very much. I don't have 7zip archiver, I did try Winrar and it worked. Is there any way to change the thumb drive so that I can use Windows to open it instead of VLC. What steps do I have to take to unzip the thumb drive completely? I don't always have access to Winrar.

Upvote 0

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
You're welcome. You must scan your thumbdrive for viruses. Its possible that your thumbdrive is infected. BTW, You can modify (or even disable) the AutoPlay settings, so VLC will not open when you plug your zipdrive. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

izzy

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 16, 2014
Thank You PVA!!!.....I know this is going to sound dumb...but...where do I modify or disable the Autoplay on VLC. What would you suggest I use to scan the zip drive.

Reactions: user
Upvote 0

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
Don't worry. It does not sound dumb. Let's go: Insert your thumbdrive. Close the AutoRun popup (or VLC player, if it open). Open Windows Explorer by holding the Windows Key + e . Now, right click the icon of the said thumbdrive. You should notice a context menu. Within it, there is an option to scan your drive with your Anti-Virus program. So, if it is infected, your AV program will warn you ;).

It's just better change AutoPlay settings (so VLC will not open when You insert your thumbrive). To do so, follow the instructions bellow (taken from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-autoplay-settings#1TC=windows-7)

How to change AutoPlay Settings

Follow these steps to specify what should happen when you insert different types of digital media into your computer.

1. Open AutoPlay by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type autoplay, and then click AutoPlay.

2. Under Media, find the type of media that you want to change the AutoPlay setting for. (if you're not sure, search for the ones with "open with VLC")

3. Click the action that you want AutoPlay to take when you insert that type of media into your computer.(select always ask")

4. Click Save.

5. Close the window
  6. Eject your Thumbdrive and reinsert it

If you have a doubt, please ask. It's always good to help.

Hope This helps

Upvote 0

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
But, if I got it wrong and you're asking for a good and free antivirus, try Avira Free edition or 360 IS.
Again, if you have any doubts, just ask ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
In this kind of situation, I'll disinfect the system first (should there be one) and unhide all files later.

I use A43 File Manager as a substitute for explorer although you can also use 7zip or Winrar to view files.

Upvote 0

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
those are worms. one strain hides all folders and replaces each folder with a shortcut, another moves all files to a hidden folder and creates one shortcut pointing to the hidden folder. But these are easy to remove especially the VBS ones.

Upvote 0

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
Last edited:
Upvote 0

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
Hide files and folders even check "show hidden files and folders",still can't see the files.Happen to me last year when i plug my thumb drive at cyber cafe :mad:

Btw, BitDefender usually can detect this malware and delete all the lnk .files. Try a scan with it or with your current antivirus solution and Malwarebytes . ^^
If nothing happens, just do the following

It's geeky, but You may try this little trick:
Open a command prompt (Windows key + R , then type cmd.exe and then hit enter).
In the command prompt, just type the following command (like in the image): attrib -h -r -s /s /d F:\*.* (where F is the letter of your thumb drive) and then hit enter.

After this, chase and delete all .lnk files and .vbs (generaly, .vbs files have an completely random name) and Autorun.inf. Delete the Recycler folder too, if it exists :)

Hope this helps you:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.