Time to say goodbye to Webroot

core_federico

Thread author
Sep 22, 2018
If I watch me back, last 6 months have been too hard. As a little MSP the time in effort and difficulties to repair what Webroot miss, was a pain. Running (dumb) client-to-client it's a wast of time (and health)
So, now I feel that I can't trust this security solution anymore, especially considering the evolution of the latest threats (fileless, APT, etc..)

I want to get my life and my professional appeal back, better and stronger more than before. I'm considering to offer to my clients some new protection with a "new" or nextgen security solution, providing more professional details like "what, who, when" as in a "incident response" or MSSP manner

You guys what you think?

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
Webroot was dead long time ago, simply said, it was useful only for the Identity Protection module and being low on system resources. Nobody as a home user should argue why they would rather use Webroot over Windows Defender on Windows 10. If you do, you are puting your systems at risk, that's all there is for now, if somebody defends Webroot with all four, it's understandable, it has turned into a doggy food and dogs can't read nor research more facts.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Webroot is set to be acquired by Carbonite for over half a billion USD, right? Since the product's reputation isn't the best and now its future is uncertain, I would take this opportunity to jump ship as well--one can always go back later if things are looking better. Plenty of good free product threads in this forum to research the possibilities.

Ironic that Carbonite, which is focused on data preservation, wasn't around when Webroot was trashing Windows files and causing general chaos a couple of years ago.

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Since the product's reputation isn't the best
You mean on this forum it isn't. On other websites, Webroot is ranked quite high among security products:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Webroot is a loser.

It is the one capability that gets hammered by all the test labs.

It scored horribly at AV-Test... then Webroot had a baby fit, and refused to be tested by AV-Test. This happened many years ago.

It got hammered by AV-Comparatives. Scoring about the worst in one of the biggest tests AV-C has ever done.

It gets hammered by MRG.

It gets dismal results.... like last place BY FAR with SE Labs.

With Dennis Labs, Webrot started the test process there. They got hammered there too... a horrible showing. They negotiated not showing test results ---just a public reference of a different part of the product.

Even the old PCSL tests.... Webroot was a bottom finisher there too.

It's a horrible product.

How many times at how many official test organizations does it take for some to get it?

Sure, it gets a decent result occasionally. But nothing else gets hammered like Webroot at all the test labs.

But... as one of the Kool-Aid drinkers at Wilders said.... "Well, tests don't mean everything."

Uh..... ok.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You mean on this forum it isn't. On other websites, Webroot is ranked quite high among security products:

Yes, this and other forum/s and my own from way back. I would not comment without substance behind it, trust and believe. Webroot doesn't participate in comparative testing, which yes, has its drawbacks, but I question that. Also, if I have a question about the product, it is expected that I receive a courteous and respectful answer from a knowledgeable professional. Does this happen at Webroot's forums? Sometimes. Sometimes cringingly not. Sure enough, you can cherry pick your support for or against if you want. I use my own experiences, thanks.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Neil Rubenking is a shill. Through and through. He collects 'people' to work with and certainly gives people a heads up before his tests and reviews. One firm I worked with, Rubenking literally called the CEO and said "I have XYZ product here to test, how can I make it go well for you friend?". Any implication of things beyond that I am not willing to disclose, but I never trusted the guy after that, even for a second.

As for Webroot.. The Kool-aid kids were called out many times over at Wilders and most got banned. If you didn't take the kool-aid, you were ostracized and at some point driven off the forum. Triple Herxheimer was a callous, abrasive bandwagoner for the product that drove countless people away with his proclaiming of the second coming of Christ in the form of Webroot.

Webroot ceased being a good product when the founder was sent cliff diving off the California Coast for funding and launching an investigation into the US Govt./Military working with Aliens.

core_federico

Thread author
Sep 22, 2018
Well.. I don't know why but expected opinions :giggle:

When I choose a product for my clients, I try to combine indipendent tests, management, price and a real world scenario that fit me/my clients needs. I know.. I had to leave Webroot a while ago but I was hoping an update to the product (I can't understand why a brand doesn't invest in R&D, maybe because he was born old already)

So thank you for your opinions guys! Don't want to move far from the topic but do you have any experience with next-gen AVs?

I'm considering to offer to my clients some new protection with a "new" or nextgen security solution, providing more professional details like "what, who, when" as in a "incident response" or MSSP manner

I'm watching for product like Crowdstrike, Cylance, Cybereason, SentinelOne etc.. I sent a bunch of email out but I'm still waiting a spawn of a representative. Maybe they know that I'm using webroot and don't want to get involved :D

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
but a perfect score at the "world best antimalware review site" -> pcmag
irony off :D:censored::X3::X3::X3:
Rubenking is a known fanboy:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
It seems I'm the only that have good experience with Webroot. It kept my computer free of nasty things over 8 years. Great light antivirus. But luckily those that dont like WSA can use something else.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
It seems I'm the only that have good experience with Webroot. It kept my computer free of nasty things over 8 years. Great light antivirus. But luckily those that dont like WSA can use something else.
The most important thing is that it has worked for you...Can't argue with that! (y)

Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
On Thursday, Carbonite suffered a double whammy with the announcement of the departure of its CEO Mohamad Ali and the announcement of a loss of $11.3M for Q2.

Carbonite Revenues & Profits 2.GIF

Source: "https://blocksandfiles.com/2019/07/26/carbonite-q2-2019-earnings/"

As a result, their stock price took a hit the following day, with a dizzying 25% drop in its share value.

However, this is also perhaps the first time we can get a glimpse into Webroot's financial health, now that it has been acquired by a public company. For revenue see the above chart to get some kind of idea, and for profits see press release/reports below.

This is what Carbonite's interim CEO Steve Munford has to say:
“Our security software business performed well during the quarter, however, we continued to experience challenges in parts of our data protection business."
Source: "https://investor.carbonite.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carbonite-announces-second-quarter-2019-financial-results"

Elsewhere, CFO Anthony Folger is quoted as saying:
On the enterprise side, the endpoint security business — and associated MSP channel — is growing “well into the double digits, north of 20 percent".
Source: "https://www.channele2e.com/business/talent/carbonite-ceo-search/"

And in the same news article, this summary:
"Overall, it sounds like the company’s security business (i.e., Webroot) continues to build strong relationships with MSPs (managed IT services providers). However, Carbonite’s data protection, backup and disaster recovery (BDR) business appears to need some fine-tuning."

Perhaps Webroot is not down to its last breath, after all — if, granted, Carbonite can survive these knocks and bruises ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.