Advanced Security timothytimes's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Jan 8, 2025
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
Not applicable
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Disabled
Real-time protection
McAfee Internet Security (1.35.148.1)
Device firewall
Other - Internet Security (3rd-party)
Custom security settings
O&O ShutUp10++: almost all the recommended settings
Periodic malware scanners
Adwcleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
-
Browsers and extensions
Librewolf 146.0.1-1
Extensions: Bitwarden, uBlock Origin (filters, medium mode), bypass paywalls clean, McAfee WebAdvisor
Search engine: Google
Secure DNS
Desktop VPN
self-host vless-xhttp-reality
Password and passkey manager
Bitwarden (desktop application and browser extension) and KeePass 2 (for backups)
Maintenance tools
Privazer
File and photo backups
MEGA
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
-
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Visiting unknown or untrusted websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Downloading files from unknown or untrusted sources
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Gaming
    • Gaming with third-party mods
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming from untrusted sites
Computer specs
AMD Ryzen 5 6600H, GTX 3050Ti, 16Gb DDR5, 512Gb SSD – laptop HP Victus 16-e1049ci (6M8B1EA)
Feedback preference

Suggestions on the main improvements

It's my security config for 2022. In 2021 I used the similar one (without Avast AntiTrack and Simplewall).
To me it seems like you are trying to set your focus mainly on privacy according to all the privacy extensions you are using. The problem is that more privacy extensions do not actually improve, but lower your privacy and security on the web.

Some articles about this topic:
1. How anti-fingerprinting extensions tend to make fingerprinting easier
2. Why you should be careful with browser extensions
 
What addons do you think I ought to remove?
Thats up to you. I personally would remove all extensions that provide some kind of tracking protection (CleanURLs, PrivacyBadger, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials and LocalCDN if you have Strict tracking protection enabled in Firefox. Firefox has solid integrated tracking protections that cover quite a lot of tacking mechanisms and uBlock Origin would be a good and simple addition.
Consider setting up one of those modes for uBlock Origin for enhanced security: Blocking mode · gorhill/uBlock Wiki
 
Thats up to you. I personally would remove all extensions that provide some kind of tracking protection (CleanURLs, PrivacyBadger, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials and LocalCDN if you have Strict tracking protection enabled in Firefox. Firefox has solid integrated tracking protections that cover quite a lot of tacking mechanisms and uBlock Origin would be a good and simple addition.
Consider setting up one of those modes for uBlock Origin for enhanced security: Blocking mode · gorhill/uBlock Wiki
Thanks! I've removed Privacy Badger and DDG Privacy Essentials, and medium blocking mode has been enabled in uBo
 
Last edited:
Thanks! I've removed Privacy Badger and DDG Privacy Essentials, and medium blocking mode has been enabled in uBo
Great! I personally also used LocalCDN for a long time but found out that it is not really needed if you have First Party Isolation (FPI) or Total Cookie Protection / Dynamic First Party Isolation (dFPI) enabled.
Total Cookie Protection or dFPI will automatically be enabled when you choose to set Firefox's Enhanced Tracking Protection to Strict --> Firefox 86 Introduces Total Cookie Protection – Mozilla Security Blog
If you don't want to do that you can still enable FPI in about:config by setting the value of privacy.firstparty.isolate to true.

Here a Reddit thread about all this:

Hope it's not too confusing. :)
 
Great! I personally also used LocalCDN for a long time but found out that it is not really needed if you have First Party Isolation (FPI) or Total Cookie Protection / Dynamic First Party Isolation (dFPI) enabled.
Total Cookie Protection or dFPI will automatically be enabled when you choose to set Firefox's Enhanced Tracking Protection to Strict --> Firefox 86 Introduces Total Cookie Protection – Mozilla Security Blog
If you don't want to do that you can still enable FPI in about:config by setting the value of privacy.firstparty.isolate to true.

Here a Reddit thread about all this:

Hope it's not too confusing. :)

Great! I appreciate your kindness and efforts to make my config better. I've just deleted LocalCDN and set my tracking protection to scrict. Also, I've enabled FPI, but it might be unnecessarily
 
I agree with @SecureKongo. What do AdGuard Extra do for you? Are you using it as a script built in Tampermonkey?

I'm using 'Legitimate URL Shortener' filter instead of ClearURLs.
I use Adguard Extra script which I added in Tampermonkey. In my opinion, Adguard Extra is a good decision to block YandexDirect (and not only this) advertisements where it won't delete by DNS and uBo filters.
 
I agree with @SecureKongo. What do AdGuard Extra do for you? Are you using it as a script built in Tampermonkey?

I'm using 'Legitimate URL Shortener' filter instead of ClearURLs.
Nice recommendation. The filters "Legitimate URL Shortener" and "AdGuard URL Tracking Protection" in uBlock Origin are basically doing the same as ClearURLs @timothytimes
 
If you have set the tracking protection to "Strict" you should disable FPI as it can conflict with dFPI.
I use the Custom setting in Firefox. This is what it looks like. So far, no problems--since about 4-5 months. I still get "breakthrough" cookie notices occasionally so the Element Picker comes in handy rather than scrounging around for more lists.


ffcus.PNG
 
I use the Custom setting in Firefox. This is what it looks like. So far, no problems--since about 4-5 months. I still get "breakthrough" cookie notices occasionally so the Element Picker comes in handy rather than scrounging around for more lists.


I am not quite sure about that but I think that setting tracking protection to custom might not trigger the dFPI feature of Firefox. At least they are only stating that "Strict" will enable it on their site: Firefox 86 Introduces Total Cookie Protection – Mozilla Security Blog
 
I am not quite sure about that but I think that setting tracking protection to custom might not trigger the dFPI feature of Firefox. At least they are only stating that "Strict" will enable it on their site: Firefox 86 Introduces Total Cookie Protection – Mozilla Security Blog
I'm not either but I found this on Reddit Who knows what to believe on R when there are no references/documentation.

I believe if you select "Custom", Cookies -> "All 3rd party cookies" and Tracking content -> "In all windows" it is at least as strong if not more so. Website breakage could occur but I've never encountered any while blocking 3rd party cookies.

In the end I think it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. FF strict is very good protection with recent developments.
 
Last edited:

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top