TinyWall 2.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
first allowed.
the others not

You need to Allow WWAHost.exe for both System32 and SysWOW64 - otherwise Windows Mail, Calendar, People - will not work !

I am not sure if you need HxStr.exe for Windows Mail to work.

Reactions: Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
You need to Allow WWAHost.exe for both System32 and SysWOW64 - otherwise Windows Mail, Calendar, People - will not work !

after
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error my system rebooted so i'll try again later (have to reinstall,because toolwiz was running) (first time it happens)

anyway
wwahost.exe was allowed (it appeard to times in the list) i simply don't know if they were system 32 an syswow64 , when i said "first allowed" i was referring to wwahost.exe, thinking system32 and syswow64 were different things.

hxstr.exe not allowed.

i'll try later. but where should i find it to allow it?

thank you very much. have to go now. sorry fot bothering

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Hmmm... it is Allowed by rule.

I don't know why Windows Mail is not working.

Could be bug, you know - since new release.

Did you try uninstall\reinstall ?

maybe i should have ticked "without resttictions?"

H

hjlbx

Thread author
after
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error my system rebooted so i'll try again later (have to reinstall,because toolwiz was running) (first time it happens)

anyway
wwahost.exe was allowed (it appeard to times in the list) i simply don't know if they were system 32 an syswow64 , when i said "first allowed" i was referring to wwahost.exe, thinking system32 and syswow64 were different things.

hxstr.exe not allowed.

i'll try later. but where should i find it to allow it?

thank you very much. have to go now. sorry fot bothering

HxStr is in C:\Windows\InfusedApps. You cannot access that folder without taking ownership of it. DO NOT try to do it !! You WILL smash all your Windows 10 Apps !! Messing up folder permissions is notoriously difficult to fix...

You can try to add it by browsing to it in TinyWall (elevated as Administrator). If that doesn't work, then I really suggest getting help from TinyWall developer or ask on the Wilders TinyWall forum.

Appears you have a lot of "stuff" happening on that tablet.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
maybe i should have ticked "without resttictions?"

Not sure what you mean.

Do you have Blocklists enabled ? If so, disable and try.

I will be away for next day or so. Leaving in next few hours.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Not sure what you mean.

Do you have Blocklists enabled ? If so, disable and try.

I will be away for next day or so. Leaving in next few hours.

I meant : maybe in tw rules I should have ticked allow udp and tcp without restrictions .

Anyway no problem, you can go . I 'ask to the developer .

Regarding my surface : it's new and I did A factory reset a week ago. I simply think w10 and surface pro 4 are not solid . #bringbackxp ( still have a PC with co that have no problems)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I meant : maybe in tw rules I should have ticked allow udp and tcp without restrictions .

Anyway no problem, you can go . I 'ask to the developer .

Regarding my surface : it's new and I did A factory reset a week ago. I simply think w10 and surface pro 4 are not solid . #bringbackxp ( still have a PC with co that have no problems)

You can try "Without Restriction," but it shouldn't matter.

It could be bug, it could be corrupted\broken WF rules, it could be any of 1000 things.

Sorry buddy...

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Did already both your suggestions( wrote to developer and in wilders)

Anyway talking in general: on wilders I found the using autolearn mode to set , offers no protections . It is right ?

And for better security, should I disabled w store and IE? I use ff

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Did already both your suggestions( wrote to developer and in wilders)

Anyway talking in general: on wilders I found the using autolearn mode to set , offers no protections . It is right ?

And for better security, should I disabled w store and IE? I use ff

You have to check back and be a little persistent at Wilders. A tip.

While in Learning Mode, TinyWall does not filter applications - as far as I know - even for apps with existing rules. You might want to check TinyWall documentation or ask developer to confirm.

If you don't use Windows Store and Internet Explorer, then it is OK to disable. However, if you disable Internet Explorer, it might mess with Microsoft Edge. Just try - if disabling IE breaks Edge, then just re-enable IE.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016

that exe seems not exist in my pc anyway (i searched it typing). but no problem i am waiting for developer reply.

i found a better way to enable process anyway (click on the window open..it works for everything but mail.

bye thank you

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I am reviving this thread as a resource for TinyWall in its present state for users of W10 1803 + who are looking at 3rd party GUI options for WF. I also want to report my very first problem using TW.

A short overview: It is pretty well known that TinyWall development appears to be dead. The developer seems either to have disappeared, taken seriously ill, died, or simply walked away from his project. I highly doubt the last possibility. I really like TW because as a GUI for Windows Firewall it has these benefits:
  • very lightweight
  • no pop-ups
  • ease of use
  • "learning" mode
  • whitelist: by executable, process, or window

TinyWall downloaded from the TW website will no longer install on W10 versions 1803 and later due to an expired certificate , but you may install by either of two methods:

Method #1: use TinyWall with a modified installer, which I have used successfully and which can be found here:

Method #2: Use this suggestion, which I have not tried, by a member here:

"This for all if can't install tinywall installer with expired certificate (if no have trust on new prepacked installer) just make this 3 steps and all is done.
create folder in C:\TWTemp here place installer TinyWallInstaller.msi
now open cmd with admin and paste this cd /d C:\TWTemp and enter and next paste this command: msiexec /a TinyWallInstaller.msi /qb TARGETDIR=C:\TinyWall and enter and wait 5-15 seconds for unpacking
now program is extracted no more wrong certificate and keep folder on secure place, now just open folder C:\TinyWall and start TinyWallInstaller.msi and follow step for install normal installer."

I used Tinywall on W10 1803 without any problems. However, when I updated to 1809 I found my first troublesome bug: It did not allow installation of one application. I tried everything I could to get TW to allow the app install. No luck! This has me wondering if this is a "one off" bug, or if it portends more trouble as Windows changes over time. I have had no problems with any other installs. Certainly, MS has made no changes to WF in many years. Maybe other Windows processes have changed so much that possible it has impacted how modern apps and their installers must conform? More will be revealed.

You may post your experience with TW, or any questions, here. Some people, including me, still prefer this app over other 3rd party front-ends. (y):)

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Can Tinywall be used without enabling windows firewall?

No. It is a GUI to easily control Windows Firewall. Also, I forgot to list a couple of features in my post above:

• shows network connections
  • ability to password protect TW
  • default configuration blocks all outbound connections, except necessary Windows components. You decide what apps to allow or block.
  • easy to use
And as I like to say, "If @oldschool can do it, anyone can do it!" :)

Recommended reading: A full description of TinyWall and its features are described here @ developer's site:

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I hope that popup notifications will be implemented and revived.
I think this fw is a kind of filter software that runs parallel to Windows fw.

If you talking about WFC you can enable notifications because $$ version no longer required. WFC is simply a GUI for Windows FW, like TinyWall was. Personally, I preferred TW no-popup approach. Very practical, without security fatigue. Sadly, we must say Goodbye!

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
If you talking about WFC you can enable notifications because $$ version no longer required. WFC is simply a GUI for Windows FW, like TinyWall was. Personally, I preferred TW no-popup approach. Very practical, without security fatigue. Sadly, we must say Goodbye!
You can do that with WFC too :)
Just enable notification to set up your machine, then disable them. Every new connection request will be blocked by default :)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Some good news was just posted today by TinyWall's developer over @ Wilders:

"TinyWall will be updated shortly, just waiting for my new code signing certificate before uploading. Still not the big update I began working on long ago, but at least it will restore full support to current versions of Windows, most problematic being v1903. "

TW currently is broken in 1903 so this is good news, but the post is not perfectly clear (to me, at least) that the issues with 1903 will be addressed, or how soon they might be. With so much time having passed since last news from dev, this is at least some good news. He is alive and hopefully well. (y):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.