Not open for further replies.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
More from ultim:

"I got the forms from the CA, and apparently I need to visit a notary office now to verify my identity. Duh... this used to be so much simpler. I'll see if I can get that done tomorrow or maybe the day after tomorrow.

Yes I am well, thanks for worrying. Fortunately my hiatus has nothing to do with my health, I was just more motivated to work on other projects. But I'll keep occasionally fixing whatever needs to be done to keep TinyWall working (like now with v1903), and who knows, maybe someday I'll finish its bigger upgrade."
ultim

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
More news from ultim:

"TinyWall 2.1.9 is out. Beside the well-needed fix for Win10 1903, a few small things went into it as well, namely: a new whitelisting possibility, a fix for the auto-updater to support TLS 1.2 and newer, and of course an updated digital certificate and databases.

You need TinyWall 2.1.9 or later to be compatible with Windows 10 v1903. In case you have Windows 10 v1903 already installed, you will need to manually uninstall the previous version of TinyWall, restart the computer once, then install TinyWall 2.1.9.

In case your computer is not yet "upgrade" to Windows 10 v1903, the recommended and easiest procedure is to simple update TinyWall before updating Windows. In this case you can simply use the built-in updater of TinyWall as usual."

Edit: The download may not yet be available since there is lag time for M$ to process the new certificate.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
From the developer,
TinyWall 2.1.9 is out. Beside the well-needed fix for Win10 1903, a few small things went into it as well, namely: a new whitelisting possibility, a fix for the auto-updater to support TLS 1.2 and newer, and of course an updated digital certificate and databases.

You need TinyWall 2.1.9 or later to be compatible with Windows 10 v1903. In case you have Windows 10 v1903 already installed, you will need to manually uninstall the previous version of TinyWall, restart the computer once, then install TinyWall 2.1.9.

In case your computer is not yet "upgrade" to Windows 10 v1903, the recommended and easiest procedure is to simple update TinyWall before updating Windows. In this case you can simply use the built-in updater of TinyWall as usual.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The TinyWall installer downloads without issue in old Edge, but is still identified as a possible threat in ChromEdge "due to small number of users." And downloading via new Edge a couple days ago the installer name was completely different from its usual name. Hum, I wonder what accounts for these difference?

In any case, welcome back TinyWall. (y)

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Interesting news from the developer ultim:
Staying true the original purpose of this thread, here is a test build of TinyWall if somebody would like to help out with testing.

When I started working on TinyWall3 long ago (before my long pause), I got *very* far. So far, that a week ago when I again dug deep into the code, I was surprised how many things were already done and relatively clean. As a result, I've been very active the past week, working on TW3 almost every evening and basically through the weekend, and now I have a beta build. This build contains some huge internal changes, and there are probably regressions. This is the point I've been working up to to start gutting out the service core and finally replace Windows Firewall with a direct interface to the Windows Filtering Platform, which I've announced back in 2016, and I have great hopes it will solve most of the known annoyances of TinyWall. Note though, this build still builds on top of Windows Firewall, and at best it only has feature parity with 2.1 (minus the regressions). But if all goes well, the *next* beta release will build on top of WFP. I have already completed my WFP library/interop layer in 2017, so if this build is relatively solid, all I need to do is swap out the current parts for it.

Anyway, a few important notes:
- This is a beta build for testers. Don't install it in the hopes that you will get the cool features earlier, because they aren't there yet. This is all preparatory work for the new stuff.
- The settings and database formats have changed. Export your settings before installing the beta so that you can re-import them again when you switch back to the current stable release.
- Some of the built-in rules have changed. If you're on pre-Win10, please provide feedback if the special exceptions still work and do their job correctly.
- This release is not digitally signed on purpose. Only official stable releases will be signed.

Click here for beta download link
Wilders link: Beta-testing TinyWall

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think it’s the Beta version 3.1.11?
ver2.1. It seems that a small change has been made.
2019-7-30 17-55-43.png

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
New beta version 2.99 that doesn't rely on Windows Firewall and directly communicates with WFP
Here is a new test build of the latest development snapshot. I thought this is a good time to make one, because IMHO this version is pretty solid and yet also contains many of the new features – so you have a very good incentive to try it out
:)

This is the first release of TinyWall that does not require Windows Firewall anymore. You need not disable it (in which case just leave it in its default configuration), but it doesn’t matter much. Starting with this release, TinyWall is no longer just a GUI for the default Windows firewall, but instead it communicates directly with the filtering layers in the kernel. This huge change is what made most of the firewall improvements in the changelog below possible at all, while also bringing several security and performance advantages. But maybe most importantly, it allowed me to finally get rid of TinyWall’s annoying quirks that we all had to live with until now.

You should be able to do everything and more in this build that you can do in TinyWall 2.1. Still, this release is not feature-complete, so expect more new features to pop up before TinyWall 3 final comes out. But first I need a broader test to solidify the groundwork. So please help with the testing, assuming you don’t bump into any major issues, it’ll be worth it
;)

Want to help? Here’s the download link.

And here’s the changelog:

Firewall technology improvements:
- Rebuilt firewall on top of Windows Filtering Platform
- Full support for File and Printer Sharing and Network Browser
- Raw and promiscuous socket filtering
- Apps are no longer disconnected when firewall reloads
- Connections window need not be open to register blocked applications
- Multicast support for local network firewall rules
- Support for machine-global exceptions

Installer improvements:
- Install location can be customized
- Warning about remote installations during setup
- Slightly modernized installer look

GUI improvements:
- Automatic app recognition for drag&dropped files
- Manual app detection gives instant first results
- Live update of traffic rate in tray menu
- Processes window remembers size
- Much improved loading time of the Processes window
- Don't list duplicate processes in Processes window

General reliability improvements:
- Atomic saving of configuration
- Reduced probability of failed whitelisting attempts
- Fix: Don't leave locked files on service exit
- Fix: Race condition between update check and service message loop

Deprecation notes:
- Windows Vista no longer supported
- 32-bit systems no longer supported

Features disabled in the test build:
- Binaries are not digitally signed
- Automatic updates are disabled
Wilders link: Beta-testing TinyWall

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I tried to install it on the 2nd-pc with curiosity, but it could not be started. Are there any changes to the UI? The software I am most interested in right now.;)

If you're talking about the Beta version, it's completely different from version 2.1. Beta is no longer a GUI for Windows Firewall but rather a completely separate firewall based on Windows Filtering Platform and there may definitely be bugs. This will have additional features later in its development. I am staying away from the Beta for now. See Wilders’ thread quoted in post #56 above.

Last edited:

ultim

Level 2
Oct 13, 2011
I tried to install it on the 2nd-pc with curiosity, but it could not be started. Are there any changes to the UI? The software I am most interested in right now.;)
Hi, can you share some information so that I can find out why it wouldn't start on your PC? Was it the latest stable (2.1.11) or the beta? Which Windows version? 32 or 64 bits?

As for your other question: The UI in the beta looks the same as in 2.1 in general (except it has additional features and more will come), but as oldschool said, it is not controlling Windows Firewall anymore, but is a completely separate firewall solution.

As a small clarification for anybody else (for new visitors), since this is a thread for TinyWall 2.1.7, I'd like to point out that 2.1.7 has been outdated for a very long time and has known problems, and anybody wanting a stable version of TinyWall should install 2.1.11 instead while version 3 is in development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.