oldschool

Level 57
Verified
You seldomly need it, but the "Elevate" menu option has mainly two purposes:
1. "Whitelist by window" only works on apps with admin privileges if TinyWall's tray is also running as admin. So for example if you want to unblock an installer, you'd have to select the Elevate option in TinyWall first (or simply use another whitelisting method other than "by window")
2. It increases TinyWall's process security somewhat, because when it is running as admin, non-admin apps cannot inject code or hook into it
I wasn't aware of this, which may explain why I had some trouble with TW v.2.7.xx and early v. 3.0.
For both of the above reasons, one of my goals for TinyWall 3.1 is to run TinyWall's tray app as admin by default on system startup.
Nice! (y) (y)

ultim

Level 2
Hi All! New version, new digital certificate, new fixes. Enjoy and let me know if you have any problems.

Code:
3.0.8 - Maintenance release (27.09.2020.)
- Add workaround for "grey icon on Win7" issue
  Note: On affected systems icon will appear with considerable delay after boot.
        This is expected and does not affect start of firewall protection.
- Fix WMI leak when mountpoints change
- Fix GUI crash if mountpoints change after changing the GUI language
- Fix service crash if pipe command results in uncaught exception
- Fix windows are potentially invisible if virtual desktop size changes
- Fix text placement in pt-BR localization
- Make dependency on eventlog service optional
- Updated Italian localization
- Updated application database

ultim

Level 2
Yay, new version!

3.0.9 - Maintenance release (01.11.2020.)
- Automatically ask for passphrase when needed, and remove now redundant "Unlock" menu item
- Fix child process monitoring not working (3.0.7 regression)
- Fix memory leak in traffic rate monitor
- Fix service becomes temporarily unresponsive when network parameters change
- Fix missing signature could be incorrectly detected as an invalid signature
- Reduce dependency on WMI
- Add runtime profiling feature
- Updated Brazilian Portuguese and Polish localizations
- New Bulgarian localization

Another stability and bugfixing release, with a notable exception for better quality-of-life if you use the password protection feature. This should be a safe upgrade, so no reason not to get 3.0.9.

Alternative release post (a bit more verbose): Wilders
Official download link: Homepage

The new version will be available over the built-in update checks too shortly.

"NAT slipstreaming" is the new WOW! today on the internet in security circles. Since I was asked a question about this, I've written a somewhat lengthy article for non-experts. It is only minimally related to TinyWall and IMHO is actually a generally useful writing for everybody. I'm linking it here. Do you think it is useful?
Nice summary article Károly.

NAT slipstreaming will get blown far out of proportion to its actual threat to end users as do most IT security news items. The WOW! is meant to terrorize and fear-monger people into buying a decade subscription to some internet security suite @ $279.99 per year.

show-Zi

Level 28
Verified
Thank you for releasing the new version. The trouble with WFPdotNet.dll that I had been suffering from before has recurred, but I have dealt with it and the update was completed successfully.:)(y)

I'm guessing that in the near future, a product called'IoT Safety Software'will be announced. Anxious users are recognized as the best customers.:unsure::coffee:

ultim

Level 2
Thank you for releasing the new version. The trouble with WFPdotNet.dll that I had been suffering from before has recurred, but I have dealt with it and the update was completed successfully.:)(y)

I'm guessing that in the near future, a product called'IoT Safety Software'will be announced. Anxious users are recognized as the best customers.:unsure::coffee:
About your WPFdotNet issue. I changed its version slightly already in 3.0.10. With a bit of luck you won't have the problem anymore.