Hot Take Tired of YouTube ads? Try NewPipe for Android

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

their search engine is extremely weak (unable to list the majorly of videos and channels).
Here you are right. Newpipe seearch is not good. You can't find many as many videos like youtube. But on android I am limited to some channels and playlists. For finding videos and scrolling through I use PC. Newpipe is only for downloading and watching channels I have subscribed or if someone shares any link.
Not sure about the search engine quality, I don't subscribe to many channels, but if you could list a few that NewPipe doesn't recognize, I could help to improve their product.
Newpipe misses a lot of videos. You can try to search anything like "ublock origin". It will show you only top 10-12 results of youtube. While on you tube you will find lots of videos for same keyword.

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Forgot to mention one positive point for NewPipe compared to another. You are not logged into YouTube account, which means they cannot really track what you watch and profile you.

Sure, they see your IP and can still track stuff, but you can simply use VPN for this. They still get less information about you, which is really nice.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I find the search on New Pipe to work quite well, at least for music videos, which is the only thing I use it for. The app is frequently updated (but not directly through F-Droid), so it might be worthwhile to check for a newer version.

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
I find the search on New Pipe to work quite well, at least for music videos, which is the only thing I use it for. The app is frequently updated (but not directly through F-Droid), so it might be worthwhile to check for a newer version.
It gets updated thought F-Droid, but updates are super delayed up to 1 week. Wish they could speed up things.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
It gets updated thought F-Droid, but updates are super delayed up to 1 week. Wish they could speed up things.
I just update by downloading the apk in a browser when the update icon appears in New Pipe. A critical update was released about 2 days ago to address complete breakage when trying to view a video. (Unfortunately, the search feature in the Hook Tube YT browser front-end has been broken for over a month and doesn't appear as if it will be fixed.)

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
I just update by downloading the apk in a browser when the update icon appears in New Pipe. A critical update was released about 2 days ago to address complete breakage when trying to view a video. (Unfortunately, the search feature in the Hook Tube YT browser front-end has been broken for over a month and doesn't appear as if it will be fixed.)
Glad they fixed it so fast. It's impressive to see such small team updating the app so fast.

Btw, I will try to download it directly, I just like auto updates :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Update: NewPipe v26.0.x

Latest updates

Changelog 26.0.0 - Release v0.26.0 · TeamNewPipe/NewPipe
What’s New?
  • Access more content provided by channels which is grouped in different tabs. The content of the channel tabs can vary by service:
    • YouTube: videos, shorts, live, playlists, about
      • Note that YouTube does not provide upload date and duration for shorts, so they won't show up in the feed
    • PeerTube: videos, playlists, channels (for accounts), about
    • SoundCloud: tracks, playlists, albums, about
    • Bandcamp: albums, tracks, about
    • media.ccc.de: videos, about
  • Allow selecting image quality among multiple images #10062 #10482
    NewPipe supports selecting the image quality among multiple image versions. This comes with three different presets which can be selected from within the settings (low, medium and high quality). This is most noticeable in the recently introduced card style for stream lists which is now able to show thumbnails in higher resolutions. Some services (e.g. YouTube) do not always provide the highest quality thumbnails for those lists.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.