Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Update.
I did a reset of my system because Windows Firewall and Windows Update weren't working.
With the reset all 3rd party software where removed.

Removed:
KIS, Sumatra PDF, Cent browser,Shadow Defender.

Installed:
Revo Pro, Bandzip, PaleMoon x64, ZAM Premium.

On PaleMoon i use uBlock Origin
Windows Defender and Windows Firewall is my current Real Time protection.
Instead of a password i use a pin for logging in my system.

In the following days i will add some 3rd party software

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Update.
Removed PaleMoon x64.

Installed:
Firefox x64, Cent Browser x64, Shadow defender.
On both browsers i have uBlock Origin.

At this time i prefer Firefox over Cyberfox because it's more stable in my sytem:cool: ( now that's newo_O )
I installed Cent because in my system is using less CPU compared to other chromium browsers;)

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Update.
Removed PaleMoon x64.

Installed:
Firefox x64, Cent Browser x64, Shadow defender.
On both browsers i have uBlock Origin.

At this time i prefer Firefox over Cyberfox because it's more stable in my sytem:cool: ( now that's newo_O )
I installed Cent because in my system is using less CPU compared to other chromium browsers;)
Good changelog @tonibalas ;)

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Update.
Removed: Firefox x64, uBlock Origin.

Added: 360 TSE, VS PRO ( MT giveaway:D), Zone Alarm Free Firewall, Wise Disk cleaner.

Remaining: Shadow Defender,Bandzip, Cent x64, Revo Uninstaller Pro.
Extensions: AdBlocker Ultimate on Cent, AdBlock Plus on Edge.

I did this change on my config because it was time to try something else than Windows Defender.

More details in a few days;)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Removed: Firefox x64, uBlock Origin.
Added: 360 TS, VS PRO ( MT giveaway:D), Zone Alarm Free Firewall, Wise Disk cleaner.
Remaining: Shadow Defender,Bandzip, Cent x64, Revo Uninstaller Pro.
Extensions: AdBlocker Ultimate on Cent, AdBlock Plus on Edge.
Doesn't 360 TSE have a cleaner and a firewall already? So Wise Disk Cleaner and Zone Alarm Free Firewall is redundant.
What do you think about Palemoon vs Firefox and why'd you remove both of them in favor of Edge and Cent?

Last edited:
Reactions: SHvFl and tonibalas
S

Sr. Normal 2.0

@tonibalas I love your new config. You have my free AV and firewall preferred. VS Pro is a success, yes or yes.

You know that your opinion on browsers is a starting point for me, so I would like to know the reason for the change ublock origin.

Thanks my good friend :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Doesn't 360 TSE have a cleaner and a firewall already? So Wise Disk Cleaner and Zone Alarm Free Firewall is redundant.
What do you think about Palemoon vs Firefox and why'd you remove both of them in favor of Edge and Cent?
360 TS Essential doesn't have a cleaner and a firewall but 360 TS does. I am using the lite version pf 360;).
That's why i installed WDC and ZAF.

About Palemoon vs Firefox. Palemoon is at early stages of the Goana engine and they still need work to catch up with Firefox.

As for both browsers i uninstalled them because in my system Cent is using less CPU than FF and PaleMoon.
Edge is my secondary browser and i rarely use it.

I would like to know the reason for the change ublock origin.
I removed uBlock Origin because sometimes it's very aggressive for my taste.
So i looked for another adblocker that wont be so aggressive. AdBlocker Ultimate is just fine for now but the in next days who knows:D

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Update.

Removed: Zone Alarm Free Firewall, Wise Disk Cleaner.
ZAM increased start up time and caused slow browsing ( i didn't expect that:eek:).
WDC is not needed, Windows built-in tool is doing a fine job.

Added: Firefox x64 with NoScript and Adguard adblocker.
XVirus Firewall Pro ( MT giveaway ).
Firemin.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Update.

Removed: Zone Alarm Free Firewall, Wise Disk Cleaner.
ZAM increased start up time and caused slow browsing ( i didn't expect that:eek:).
WDC is not needed, Windows built-in tool is doing a fine job.

Added: Firefox x64 with NoScript and Adguard adblocker.
XVirus Firewall Pro ( MT giveaway ).
Firemin.
Does XVirus Firewall has any benefit from wfc premium if you ever used it? Interested because it seems to improve productivity with making rules for some safe applications without input.

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Does XVirus Firewall has any benefit from wfc premium if you ever used it? Interested because it seems to improve productivity with making rules for some safe applications without input.
I have never used WFC before so i can't tell you aout it.
On the other hand XVirus it made on it's own rules about safe applications without my input and that is useful.
You should test it just to be sure about the difference with WFC.

What would you comment on Firefox x64? I have been a FF x86 user, planning to switch to x64.
At the moment i am not so satisfied with FF x64.
e10 needs improvement.
On comparison with Cent, Firefox is using more RAM and more CPU while having the same page/s open as Cent.
This wasn't the case before e10.
If you have 8 GB of RAM or more on your system you can use FF x64 otherwise i don't think you will not see any difference.
From what i have seen performance is almost equal, maybe FF x64 is a bit faster but not by much

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
What do you think Palemoon needs to catch up to Firefox? Why ever changing browsers and extensions?

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
What do you think Palemoon needs to catch up to Firefox? Why ever changing browsers and extensions?
The new Goanna engine of PaleMoon is in early stages of development so it needs to be polished.
Gecko engine on the other hand has matured over the years and is rendering pages quicker.
Also it has lower CPU and RAM usage from Goanna engine.
IMPORTANT: all this applies to my system. In other systems PaleMoon and FF will behave differently.

Why i change browsers and extemsions?
It's simple, i like to try new things.
I want to find browsers and extensions that suite my need.
For example Cent uses less CPU than other browsers while watching YouTube or watching a match live streaming.
But in no way has the smooth scrolling of FF.
uBlock Origin is very good but a bit aggressive for my taste so now i'm using Adblocker Ultimate which is less aggressive.

As you see i'm trying to find these software's that suites my needs and my system of course.
All this i see it as a game and most of the time it's fun;)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I heard that the codec being used in youtube is different between browsers. Chrome, Firefox and Opera uses webm but IE and IETab uses mp4. If CPU usage difference is only in youtube (I don't know how other sites work), you might want to look at Stats for nerds in youtube since from the articles I've read, webm uses more cpu but less bandwidth than mp4. You might want to look at that and maybe question the universe again since there are extensions to change that.
Also, I believe Edge and IE prioritize GPU over Firefox and Chrome which prioritizes CPU.

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
The problem is not youtube.
The thing is that e10 of FF is using more CPU on every site i am visiting i comparison with chromium.
I am using extensions to change that but i am not satisfied with the results i am getting.
So for the moment i am sticking with Cent.
When the new version of FF comes out i will surely try it.
As for Edge i can't say much about it's performance because i don't use it very often.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
The problem is not youtube.
The thing is that e10 of FF is using more CPU on every site i am visiting i comparison with chromium.
I am using extensions to change that but i am not satisfied with the results i am getting.
So for the moment i am sticking with Cent.
When the new version of FF comes out i will surely try it.
As for Edge i can't say much about it's performance because i don't use it very often.
Is there any new stuff in FF in the new version?
Does Cent have "don't load all tabs at once" like FF?
I actually just wanted to know why Cent has less CPU than Chrome. I intuitively know that Firefox uses more CPU though I haven't done any proper tests. Although I found out that some addons can be really bad for Firefox. QuickJava can be an alternative to Noscript as a script blocker and image blocker too. It's less granular but you can set it in the settings to automatically disable Javascript on open tab. Although I don't really find Noscript slows down Firefox much nor it being any slower than uMatrix. Noscript requires lesser clicks though. But I heard someone report that QuickJava is lighter than Noscript.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
The new Goanna engine of PaleMoon is in early stages of development so it needs to be polished.
Gecko engine on the other hand has matured over the years and is rendering pages quicker.
Also it has lower CPU and RAM usage from Goanna engine.
IMPORTANT: all this applies to my system. In other systems PaleMoon and FF will behave differently.

Why i change browsers and extemsions?
It's simple, i like to try new things.
I want to find browsers and extensions that suite my need.
For example Cent uses less CPU than other browsers while watching YouTube or watching a match live streaming.
But in no way has the smooth scrolling of FF.
uBlock Origin is very good but a bit aggressive for my taste so now i'm using Adblocker Ultimate which is less aggressive.

As you see i'm trying to find these software's that suites my needs and my system of course.
All this i see it as a game and most of the time it's fun;)
maybe cent forces youtube to play h264 videos by default like chrome after installing h264ify
this significantly reduces CPU usage

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@TerrakionSmash i haven't found this "don't load all tabs at once" like FF? on Cent settings.
As for CPU usage i can't answer to that.
Just to give an example. Vivaldi and Slimjet which both are also Chromium browsers use more CPU that Cent:cool:. Go figure.
Don't forget that this applies to my system. On other systems maybe it will be a different situation.
As for new things in FF i don't know because i am not using beta builds.
I really hope that FF will be improved in the upcoming versions so it can be again my default browser;)

@Evjl's Rain maybe you are right.
But as for CPU usage i am not talking only for Youtube but mostly when i am watching live streaming matches.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.