Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
NPE, ZAM, Eset Online Scanner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Cent browser 64 bit, Adguard extension
Scriptsafe and Minerblock are running on specific sites,most of the time are turned off.
Maintenance tools
Windows built in disk cleaner and Wise disk cleaner.
File and Photo backup
Macrium free, Aomei backup standard
System recovery
Macrium free, Aomei backup standard

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Great setup:)
I join the other comments about a good backup solution to secure data and OS.
You can consider a second opinion scanner such as Emsisoft EK and CCleaner that IMO offers a more complete cleaning of cache and temporary files.

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Thank you all for your suggestions.
As for back up i have my most important in a usb.
Also both W7 and W10 are soted in a usb so in case something goes wrong i will just do a format;).
About 2nd opinion scanners at the moment i don't feel that i need one because i am very careful when i am browsing on the internet.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

As for back up i have my most important in a usb.
I also had an Seagate external hdd where i stored my most important documents and other family related stuff. I also thought nothing could ever happen with it. But of course one day everything changed when my kid took it off desk and droped it on floor, i recovered about only 30% of 500GB. I learned to never relay again only on one type of backup place, now i use an other type of usb storage + cloud backups for files. You can never be sure how things will turn out at the end of the day when you have kids + computers at home. :D

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
All's good man, just create a system image using Windows Backup or with Macrium Reflect Free if you want a 3rd party application.

For individual data file backup, you can use the classic copy and paste method to an external medium or uploading to some cloud service of your choice.
An alternative for the copy and paste method would be for you to sync important files using something like Free File Sync, just to automate the process a bit. (I have used it for differential file sync on a directory that contained thousands of files and it worked flawlessly)

Thanks for sharing your config! :p

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Yesterday i decided to listen guys to your suggestion about an image of my system.
First i created a system image and saved to the other partition in which i have W10 installed.
After that i created a system image of the whole drive W7 and W10 and saved to an external HDD just to be safe;)

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Yesterday i decided to listen guys to your suggestion about an image of my system.
First i created a system image and saved to the other partition in which i have W10 installed.
After that i created a system image of the whole drive W7 and W10 and saved to an external HDD just to be safe;)
Really good move IMO :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Forgot to mention a few software that i have on my system and
i am talking about W7 which from now on is my primary OS.
7zip
Shadow Defender ( mostly for testing new software)
Firemin ( to control memory leaks ).

Also i have enabled AppContainer in Cent browser.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I have to say "gg" to this one, mate. Nicely done. :p

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I made a few adjustments to my security config, always in W7.
I created a standard account and admin account is password protected.
Uninstalled Cyberfox and Firemin.
The problem was cpu usage of Cyberfox.
Installed Yandex browser.
I have tried it about a month ago and decided to use it again.So far i like it and it's light on my system.
Of course i have enabled AppContainer in Yandex.

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
A small update.
I backed up W10 with Media Creation Tool in a USB.
I removed W10 from my secondary partition because the last few times i booted to W10 Check Disk popped up saying that it should check
Volume D (W10):cool:.
Never had this problem when booting to W7.
2nd partition will be used for testing Linux distros.

Removed:
Firefox x64. About high RAM usage i don't mind ( a lot :D) but about high CPU usage i do:mad:.
Cent x64.

Yandex is my default browser at the moment.
Extensions: Adguard and WebBoost ( thanks @XhenEd for the tip)
I have also added Revo Free.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.