Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Windows Defender has no web filter, these scripts you take them on torrents websites, online movie sites, most of them coming from malicious advertisements.
WD on default settings has disabled web protection, but it can be activated via PowerShell or Configure Defender tool (on Windows 10).
Furthermore, there exists the browser extension (Windows Defender Browser Protection) for Google Chrome. Edge has SmartScreen which is pretty good.
Yet, the above protections (except first) rely on webpage blocking - they do not block malicious scripts, but the malicious webpage links.
Most people use the popular & free ad blocker extensions to block malicious advertisements (AdGuard, uBlock). But, I did not see the test about how effective they can be against JS/Adware.Agent.AA infections.

Last edited:

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
WD on default settings has disabled web protection, but it can be activated via PowerShell or Configure Defender tool (on Windows 10).
Furthermore, there exists the browser extension (Windows Defender Browser Protection) for Google Chrome. Edge has SmartScreen which is pretty good.
Yet, the above protections (except first) rely on webpage blocking - they do not block malicious scripts, but the malicious webpage links.
Most people use the popular & free ad blocker extensions to block malicious advertisements (AdGuard, uBlock). But, I did not see the test about how effective they can be against JS/Adware.Agent.AA infections.

I understand should come by default configured for the common user 99% will not know if there is, for they believe they are protected however is a basic solution and even the extension is also very basic against malicious advertisements, the which should incorporate in WD is the "Traffic scanning" would be a safe solution.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I understand should come by default configured for the common user 99% will not know if there is, for they believe they are protected however is a basic solution and even the extension is also very basic against malicious advertisements, the which should incorporate in WD is the "Traffic scanning" would be a safe solution.
Yes, the protection components mentioned by me, are not for blocking advertisements, but for preventing against malware & phishing. There is a special thread on MT for comparison of web browser extensions (malware & phishing):
Q&A - [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings
It is not clear for me, If the JS/Adware.Agent.AA is considered as malicious by them.

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Yes, the protection components mentioned by me, are not for blocking advertisements, but for preventing against malware & phishing. There is a special thread on MT for comparison of web browser extensions (malware & phishing):
Q&A - [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings
It is not clear for me, If the JS/Adware.Agent.AA is considered as malicious by them.

As I said earlier are not effective or do not work well I did a basic test as a common user on an online movie page you will be able to see the images in my -- comment

Reactions: Andy Ful

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.