Top 10 Most Destructive/Worst Computer Viruses?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I found these here http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/mmpc/shared/ransomware.aspx

Top ransomware

Ransom:Win32/Reveton
Ransom:Win32/Reveton.V
Ransom:Win32/Loktrom.B
Ransom:Win32/Urausy.E
Ransom:Win32/Reveton.Y
Ransom:Win32/Reveton!lnk
Ransom:Win32/Urausy.C
Ransom:Win32/Nymaim.F
Ransom:Win32/Crowti
Ransom:Win32/Crowti.A

Don't try these at home.:D

They kind of make me want to hug that banner down below!:p

The worst ones, imho, were those pesky e-mail viruses. Two were:
  • The Melissa virus
  • ILOVEYOU
A year after the Melissa virus hit the Internet, a digital menace emerged from the Philippines. Unlike the Melissa virus, this threat came in the form of a worm -- it was a standalone program capable of replicating itself. It bore the name ILOVEYOU.

The ILOVEYOU virus initially traveled the Internet by e-mail, just like the Melissa virus. The subject of the e-mail said that the message was a love letter from a secret admirer. An attachment in the e-mail was what caused all the trouble. The original worm had the file name of LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs. The vbs extension pointed to the language the hacker used to create the worm: Visual Basic Scripting

Source http://computer.howstuffworks.com/worst-computer-viruses2.htm

Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
The worst as in "most rubbish" is in my opinion "Stupid", literally the worst virus ever written for DOS. It copies itself to memory in a way that means it won't execute on machines with lower memory capacity, it infects files but leaves no infection marker so can infect a file multiple times, corrupting it. And perhaps worst of all it doesn't protect it's own memory meaning it will probably be overwritten after infecting just a few files.

Aside from the fact that the code is a total mess, the Stupid virus really is Stupid and in my opinion one of the worst viruses in history.

(Yes I understood the original question but I couldn't resist giving a more interesting answer)

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
once i got infected with this virus, it was a headache
1)win32/wapomi

note: i will update as soon i remember xD

Reactions: Behold Eck

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
+1 for LoveLetter, my favourite script virus. So simple, so elegant for the time and so darn effective, caused over a billion dollars worth of damage :D
Has there ever been a virus named after the infamous Cowpipe?:p
*You can choose not to comment in order to protect the innocent ..and yourself!:D

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Has there ever been a virus named after the infamous Cowpipe?:p
*You can choose not to comment in order to protect the innocent ..and yourself!:D

Technically yes and no. I have had several viruses named after me (One series with 5 variants) and a couple of one off viruses, but they were associated with old nicknames of mine.... Unless you mean Adware.Cowmoods, in which case I guess that's similar enough to Cowpipe to count? :p

Reactions: vrb93

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
W32/Yourmouseclick.exe

All funny things aside there is a Mydoom/CodeR hybrid seen a year ago.
And from what i did hear its NOT as dangerous as a governmental sponsored malware yet it is equally effective and its a targeted attack

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
but for one its Crylocker it my be easy to remove but locks your files up badly

Don't worry I have backups, unless they can encrypt files on the cloud or on DVDs. Are there any Crylocker so far running under Linux?

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Don't worry I have backups, unless they can encrypt files on the cloud or on DVDs. Are there any Crylocker so far running under Linux?
well, if you have a 1tb of data stored in your HDD...... emm it will be a headache to backup that.....

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
well, if you have a 1tb of data stored in your HDD...... emm it will be a headache to backup that.....

What I'd love to see, is a news story about the NSA going after these drug dealers and seizing their computers believing them to be stashing all kinds of incriminating material only to find that ransomware got there first and encrypted all the files with a 512 bit AES. Hahaha. Wonder whether they would pay the ransom to get the evidence or just set up some crowd sourced cracking attempt.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013

Mostly my external HDD have MP3s, movies (deleted after watching, well I still have a few favorite cartoons of my kid) and installers and Photoshop video tutorials that comes from DVDs. My Docs don't eat too much space, they are mostly notes on some I've analyzed. I don't mind losing them if they are already outdated. My PSDs mostly were submitted to customers via Google Drive

What I'd love to see, is a news story about the NSA going after these drug dealers and seizing their computers believing them to be stashing all kinds of incriminating material only to find that ransomware got there first and encrypted all the files with a 512 bit AES. Hahaha. Wonder whether they would pay the ransom to get the evidence or just set up some crowd sourced cracking attempt.

I bet they would. lol

Reactions: Cowpipe

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
That recent Ebury was pretty messed up.
Flame was pretty bad too.
My Doom
Stuxnet
Code Red

Any form of encryption ransomware is about as retarded as trojans get.

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I found these here http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/mmpc/shared/ransomware.aspx

Top ransomware

Ransom:Win32/Reveton
Ransom:Win32/Reveton.V
Ransom:Win32/Loktrom.B
Ransom:Win32/Urausy.E
Ransom:Win32/Reveton.Y
Ransom:Win32/Reveton!lnk
Ransom:Win32/Urausy.C
Ransom:Win32/Nymaim.F
Ransom:Win32/Crowti
Ransom:Win32/Crowti.A

Don't try these at home.:D

They kind of make me want to hug that banner down below!:p

The worst ones, imho, were those pesky e-mail viruses. Two were:
  • The Melissa virus
  • ILOVEYOU
A year after the Melissa virus hit the Internet, a digital menace emerged from the Philippines. Unlike the Melissa virus, this threat came in the form of a worm -- it was a standalone program capable of replicating itself. It bore the name ILOVEYOU.

The ILOVEYOU virus initially traveled the Internet by e-mail, just like the Melissa virus. The subject of the e-mail said that the message was a love letter from a secret admirer. An attachment in the e-mail was what caused all the trouble. The original worm had the file name of LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs. The vbs extension pointed to the language the hacker used to create the worm: Visual Basic Scripting

Source http://computer.howstuffworks.com/worst-computer-viruses2.htm

Thanks man!

Melissa virus? Why is it called Melissa? lol. :D That's my gf's name.

Ah, yeah I remember that ILOVEYOU virus. It's one of the most devastating PC viruses and it was made here in the Philippines. lmao

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.