Top 10 Most Destructive/Worst Computer Viruses?

Shaun James

Feb 20, 2015
Storm
Sasser Virus
Nimda
Melissa
Code Red I and II Computer Viruses
Morris
ILOVEYOU
Brain
Conficker
Elk Clone

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
once i got infected with this virus, it was a headache
1)win32/wapomi

note: i will update as soon i remember xD

There was one actually called headache which took over your screen playing static white noise along with black and white flashing graphics, all designed to bring on a migraine, hence the name.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: JakeXPMan

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
There was one actually called headache which took over your screen playing static white noise along with black and white flashing graphics, all designed to bring on a migraine, hence the name.

Regards Eck:)
Ahhh really??? Do you keep a sample??? I called a headaxhe because it infected a 500gb disk 10 years ago..

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Nice malware names here, yet everyone forgets one of the most promising yet destructive malware till date, and it stills serves as a basis to base new malware off and that's the Sobig family and CIH.
Or what about the Slammer family? None of these viruses where governmental sponsored yet they caused MASSIVE damage.
And till date these mentioned viruses pioneered today's computer viruses.

Then you also got PoisonIvy and Fizzer, while they have not been heavy weight they where financial gain malware and in terms of money stole more money then most malware.

And a final honorable note is: Agent.BTZ who gave birth to the pentagons policy to ban thumb drives...

Cheers

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my experience common viruses which are very annoying but destructive are Autorun based attacks including Tazebama/Mabezat threat which mutate and infect all .exe and other file association extensions as well therefore the AV itself will be annoying much.

Joke programs that can also destructive which may caused real troubles due to hidden algorithms that can execute operations.

Ransomware, Rootkits, Bootkits are other dangerous piece of malicious samples that an intensive cleaning process needed as they hide on crucial breeding place of an OS system.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Storm
Sasser Virus
Nimda
Melissa
Code Red I and II Computer Viruses
Morris
ILOVEYOU
Brain
Conficker
Elk Clone
Well of course ILOVEYOU virus should be included because:

1.) It has infected millions
2.) Some say (rumor or truth?) it almost reached/infected... well I couldn't say it here
3.) It was created from my country Philippines, by a college nerd.

Reactions: frogboy

Infrared

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Feb 15, 2014
Some nasty viruses in these list luckly i did not get any of the ones listed.

the unknwn

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
code red,stuxnet,double fantasy,fanny,crypto locker,torrent locker and other variants,melissa and i love virus is the most devastating viruses ever created thats why email services before is protected by mailguard and now the spywares of the nsa especially that infects seagate and other hard drive brand. kaspersky reported that you need to destroy your hard drive to remove the spyware

LachlanNYC

Mar 27, 2015
In your opinion, what was the 10 worst Computer Viruses in the history?
Hi to whom it concerns,

I have a Police Ukash alert saying that I have to pay $200 and to get a code etc.
I am just wondering how do I know if this is real or a virus?
Thanks

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Ransomware that never stops would be a nightmare.

You pay, it comes back, you pay, it comes back. Hidden in bios and/or firmware.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Ransomware that never stops would be a nightmare.

You pay, it comes back, you pay, it comes back. Hidden in bios and/or firmware.
..and an excellent reason to have a working back up solution in place.
Maybe @Umbra's "dozens of layers of security" (benevolent 'virus') would be an effective inoculation thus releasing us from the ransomware nightmare.:):)

D

Deleted member 178

Maybe @Umbra's "dozens of layers of security" (benevolent 'virus') would be an effective inoculation thus releasing us from the ransomware nightmare.:):)

at beginning, then when your skills grows and your risky habits fade, you reduce the numbers of layers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.