Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
AdwCleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge: N/A.
Internet Explorer: Norton IdentitySafe.
Vivaldi: uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Norton Toolbar, Norton IdentitySafe and Norton Default Search Engine.
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Windows Disk Clean-up, Norton Security, Revo Uninstaller (MT Giveaway), Internet Download Manager (MT Giveaway).
File and Photo backup
OneDrive and File History
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper Standard

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Test a blacklisted site from Norton Safe Web website.
Norton ConnectSafe

"Norton ConnectSafe performs a quick check on each site to make sure that the requested Web site is safe. If the requested Web site is unsafe, you will see a warning that includes information on why we rated the site as dangerous. This site rating comes from our Norton Safe Web database, which can be accessed at Is This Website Safe | Website Security | Norton Safe Web"
He already has, it was an adware page (we discussing this in a private conversation). He reported that it was not blocked. Perhaps he could have tried a malware link, but then again that would have been an unnecessary measure, in my opinion.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Update:

Added: Avira Free Antivirus, Avira Browser Safety (Google Chrome) and Avira SafeSearch Plus (Google Chrome).
Removed: Qihoo 360 Total Security, avast! Online Security (Google Chrome) and 360 Internet Protection (Google Chrome).

What sandbox software should I use, apart from Sandboxie?

Last edited by a moderator:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
WD would be my second choice, 360 just didn't seem to give me peace of mind...
If you want to be more confident about your setup, you may consider adding different layers of security, such as sandboxing, file system virtualization or anti-executable software (Sandboxie, Shadow Defender and NVT EXE Radar Pro respectively), to complement the already solid detection-based protection offered by your mainline antivirus/antimalware products. :p

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Update:

Removed: Bitdefender TrafficLight and Norton ConnectSafe (DNS)

Reactions: Venustus
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
I take that back same problem with avast! Now using Windows Defender

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Perhaps something is causing your antivirus to react that way. I recall Emsisoft and process lasso had an issue that caused high CPU.
I mean 80+ percent CPU and it blocked internet access, when I disabled shields it was ok.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I mean 80+ percent CPU and it blocked internet access, when I disabled shields it was ok.
That does sound like a conflict issue...
Especially the part about it blocking off all Internet access for no reason.

Did you try excluding its program files from your other real-time security software and vice versa? Perhaps your other security software was conflicting with Avira, and, afterwards, with Avast.

It is rather impossible that two different security applications can have the same issue in the same config, and in the same system, for the same reason - it is safe to assume that the two applications are not creating the issue solely by themselves.

It is also highly unprobable that this is caused by your system's hardware - it is most likely software-related.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
That does sound like a conflict issue...
Especially the part about it blocking off all Internet access for no reason.

Did you try excluding its program files from your other real-time security software and vice versa? Perhaps your other security software was conflicting with Avira, and, afterwards, with Avast.

It is rather impossible that two different security applications can have the same issue in the same config, and in the same system, for the same reason - it is safe to assume that the two applications are not creating the issue solely by themselves.

It is also highly unprobable that this is caused by your system's hardware - it is most likely software-related.
Avira wasn't blocking internet access it was just using high CPU, it was excluded from other security software and vice versa - avast! just completely blocked internet access and was just lagging my system massively so Windows Defender + ZAM + ZAL + MBAE will do for now :)

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Considering AVG although last time I used it it wan't very good, how good is Windows Defender at blocking ransomware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.