Advice Request Total AV - Is it a Scam?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I'm pretty sure this is some marketing scam but have you guys actually tried it?
Code:
https://www.antivirustop10.com/
Code:
https://www.totalav.com/

Mod Edit: De-Linked Potentially Unsafe URLs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A simple search engine search: SCAM.

Total AV is a FAKE.
Do Not Buy TotalAV - it is a Fake Antivirus Software

UK GOV Companies House: SS PROTECT LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)
Runs under SS Protect Ltd based in UK (& USA?).
  • PC Protect
  • ScanGuard
  • Total AV
Code:
http://www.ssprotectltd.com/
upload_2018-3-2_17-20-18.png

Comments from PCMag Review: TotalAV
upload_2018-3-2_17-17-11.png

Comments & Reviews of Total AV on Google Play Store.
Code:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.totalav.android
upload_2018-3-2_17-18-5.png

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

FYI - TotalAV was written by a former malware author. I remember doing some research several years ago on the guy that started the company. (a different name at the time)

He's changed the name a few times, but has a bit of a shady past. While his previous incarnations weren't terrible, I really wouldn't trust my loot to a former black hat to be honest.

I'd avoid it, like the plague.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
CK4zD1v8_o.png

IBMs tools also flag this as High Risk and funny when they brag using Comodos certificate but even Comodo flag them. :giggle:

There cookies are extremly aggressive and it's a risk it locks you on the special deal page.

Fair warnings from previous members and I fully agree, Stay Away and Be Safe! :coffee:

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Fake, scam AVs are a well proven social engineering technique.
Always better to use well known brands and if you want to test new products, you have to look carefully at info on them.

richie2257

Aug 9, 2019
FYI - TotalAV was written by a former malware author. I remember doing some research several years ago on the guy that started the company. (a different name at the time)

He's changed the name a few times, but has a bit of a shady past. While his previous incarnations weren't terrible, I really wouldn't trust my loot to a former black hat to be honest.

I'd avoid it, like the plague.
It's advertising campaign is the same as stuff that sells 10 year old rubbish from china. I'd say you'd have to be an idiot to fall for this.

Totalav causes problems on your computer. IT IS A VIRUS.

bsa1972

Mar 26, 2020
Yes Total AV is a scam , I payed for 1 license 2 years ago , it never worked on my mac, I try to stop auto payment. Was not possible, Had to pay for the following year. Send them email , got some of it refunded, Ask them to stop my auto payment. They never did, was still active. Ask them several time to cancel but never happened. I cancel my visa card. Year after I got new reminder mail about payment, that had not work because of the cancel visa. I unsubscribe the email, but it still pop up nagging about payment and offers discount until 80%.... Stay away from this... Use antivirus that follow windows.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
My eset found it right off as malware
ESET will be detecting it as a PUP and not malware, as it is a legitimate antivirus. It can be considered to be a scam of sorts, as you can buy it very cheaply with a discount, but your subscription will be automatically renewed in a year at the regular price, which is very expensive. Having said that, I had the same issue with AVG, just a few weeks ago.

It's not a product that I would ever recommend, as it's not very good. But it does actually provide some protection against viruses.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
They seem to be dragging themselves out of the mire recently but not a product I would ever use regardless - They are doing lots of click bait advertising on the Sky news app lately, if that's not enough to put someone off..

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and roger_m
F

ForgottenSeer 67480

Total AV is on 100% FAKE. A main website tries to trick you this AV is free to use, but this is a lie. When you install this FAKE AV, you'll see you have been fooled. Now Criminals will attempt convince you to pay them 60$ every year for FAKE Protection, Remove process and other functions. Do not trust Total AV and his clones.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Roger_m, so why you have to pay 60$ when this AV tricking on you?
You can buy it for $15 with a coupon. Yes it is misleading in that it's not really free. Although you can use it for free, it continually nags you about buying it.

But, as I already said, it is using Avira signatures, so it is a legitimate antivirus and there is absolutely nothing fake about.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
You can buy it for $15 with a coupon. Yes it is misleading in that it's not really free. Although you can use it for free, it continually nags you about buying it.

But, as I already said, it is using Avira signatures, so it is a legitimate antivirus and there is absolutely nothing fake about.
But what youre paying for is a product with non existant zero day protection, randomly charges you even after youve cancelled their subscription, misleads users using fake review sites and uses two other identical antiviruses, I wouldnt use the paid version if I got it for free.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
But what youre paying for is a product with non existant zero day protection, randomly charges you even after youve cancelled their subscription, misleads users using fake review sites and uses two other identical antiviruses, I wouldnt use the paid version if I got it for free.
It's not a product that I use and I wouldn't recommend anyone else does either.

elba1980

Jan 11, 2021
thisis driving me nuts. program is ok, but hard process to cancel my subscription. I wanted to cancelled, because i was under the impression the price different from what actually was. I exchanged a few emails, confirming and reconfirming, and I was told on the last one that my account was cancelled. next month, surprise surprise, they charged me again. now im dealing with my bank to stop this monthly abuse, as totalav left me there saying someone will contact me when they can.
AVOID the hassle. not worth it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.