New Update Translate Web Pages brings Chrome-like translate functionality to Firefox

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
firefox-translate-web-pages-addon.png

One of the first things that Google did introduce in its Chrome web browser was support for translating websites manually or automatically. The feature leveraged the company's own Google Translate service and made web page translations that much easier.

Mozilla worked on several systems in the past to integrate a comparable feature in the organization's Firefox web browser; nothing came out of it though. While Firefox users may integrate translate functionality in Firefox, it means getting an API key from one of the supported services.

Mozilla did reveal in late 2019 that it was working on a native Firefox translation feature.

Translate Web Pages is a free open source extension for Firefox that brings Google Chrome-like translate functionality to Firefox. In short:
  • the extension detects the language of the page.
  • users may translate web pages manually.
  • automatic translation of certain languages is supported.
  • an exception list is provided.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
It's official; now the only thing keeping me on Chrome (and Chromium browsers) is blurry font on Firefox. 😑

Reactions: SeriousHoax

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
It's official; now the only thing keeping me on Chrome (and Chromium browsers) is blurry font on Firefox. 😑
Strange because fonts actually looks sharper on my Firefox and a bit blurry on Chrome. Even for images. Unless an image is loaded in a new tab, images attached on webpages are sharper on Firefox. Though none of these are noticeable at first look.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Downside:
  • Uses Google services
Well, to honest, Google Translate is certainly the best translation service out there. And, no matter how you tried to distance yourself from Google, you won't succeed.
Strange because fonts actually looks sharper on my Firefox and a bit blurry on Chrome. Even for images. Unless an image is loaded in a new tab, images attached on webpages are sharper on Firefox. Though none of these are noticeable at first look.
On my laptop, fonts look the best on Chromium. On Firefox they are somewhat thin and does not render normally on some sites. If I apply the trick in the about:config, fonts are really blurry. So far I haven't found the solution and I've tried literally everything; from reinstalling few versions of graphics drivers to about:config settings and turning off hardware acceleration. Not a thing helps. 🙄

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Well, to honest, Google Translate is certainly the best translation service out there. And, no matter how you tried to distance yourself from Google, you won't succeed.
It's mainly directed at Firefox and Chromium users who dislike Google.

I have zero plans to de-Google my computer, and currently use Chrome and Android on a daily basis. The only other service I use is Bing Translator and that's built-in to MS Edge.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

On my laptop, fonts look the best on Chromium. On Firefox they are somewhat thin and does not render normally on some sites. If I apply the trick in the about:config, fonts are really blurry. So far I haven't found the solution and I've tried literally everything; from reinstalling few versions of graphics drivers to about:config settings and turning off hardware acceleration. Not a thing helps. 🙄
Have you tried enabling/disabling ClearType on WIndows?

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015

I have zero plans to Un-Google myself, and use Chrome and Android on a daily basis.
Honestly, I don't get why people switch to Firefox if they hate Google so much. Firefox uses Google too; it's their default search engine, they use Google Safe Browsing and their locations services. 😁
Have you tried enabling/disabling ClearType on WIndows?
It's enabled by default in Windows. Though, I did try to play with its settings—didn't help.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

I have zero plans to de-Google my computer, and currently use Chrome and Android on a daily basis. The only other service I use is Bing Translator and that's built-in to MS Edge.
Bing and Google, @Spawn has no fear!

Reactions: roger_m

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
  • Removed translation using widgets. Reason: widgets load external scripts, which goes against Firefox's extension policy
  • Added the "Translate this site" button on Firefox Mobile
  • Change popup layout for desktop
  • Updated interface translations
  • Fixed several bugs

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Removed translation using widgets. Reason: widgets load external scripts, which goes against Firefox's extension policy
I was thinking about this. Some translation extensions were banned for this reason but then how come this extension is still doing that! Turns out now they know it's against the rule.

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.