TrapperX overkill Security Config

Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Avast Internet Security, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home Premium, SuperAntiSpyware Lifetime, HitmanPro Alert, Malwarebytes Anti-Eploit Premium, GWX Control Panel to stop Windows 10 upgrade and CryptoPrevent Premium Edition.
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
RogueKiller, AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool, Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, Eset and Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Mozilla FireFox with uBlock, Privacy Badger, Avast Online Security, Tab Utilities Fixed and F.B. Purity.
Maintenance tools
System Ninja Pro, CCleaner and Tweaking.com Windows Repair

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Real-time Malware Protection:

Avast Internet Security - This one is fine

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home Premium - You can keep it real-time. But considering how much resources it uses you might consider making on-demand. It's your choice

SuperAntiSpyware Lifetime - Unnecessary. There are better products out there. Either put it on-demand or remove it entirely and replace it with Zemana Antimalware free

HitmanPro Alert - Is it the paid version or free version? Depending on which one, you might have some conflict with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. So it could be for the best to choose just one.

Malwarebytes Anti-Eploit Premium - Read my previous comment.

On-Demand:

Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit - Correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe Malwarebytes AntiMalware already has this product integrated.

Extensions:

Ublock - You can try Ublock Origin. It's made by Ublock's original developer​

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi TrapperX.

Thank you for sharing your configuration with it's full range, & assortment, of reputable software. It reflects your choices, & I like them.:)
I've enjoyed reading the many encouraging posts, and whether you choose to alter the use of some programs, or not, you've received many noteworthy and well tested suggestions.

One form of protection I'll mention, now, is virtualization.
  • A popular (& free):cool: program which prevents unwanted changes from permanently effecting your system is called Sandboxie - Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing . I consider a protective sandbox similar to a "raincoat" for ones browser wherever conditions online may seem cloudy with a chance of malware!:p In my experience, this magically scientific "reset button" tends to be more compatible with either I.E. or Mozilla (gecko) sourced browsers, although sandboxing is used for all our browsers indiscriminately.:D By the way, Sandbox-ie's (ie) originally referred to it's development due to Internet Explorer's vulnerabilities.o_O
  • Additionally (& for many, an indespensible program..) there is Shadow Defender. A wonderfully concise review by @cruelsister illustrates it's reliability in a comparison alongside another similar software, Timefreeze. Video Review - Shadow Defender vs TimeFreeze
I further endorse Zemana Antimalware for consideration as another on demand scanner to add to your preferred arsenal. We use it on all of our computers!;) This morning, my wife asked why it had been set to scan her Windows 7 lap top upon every:confused: startup!:mad: So, following this post, I am going to uncheck the box:rolleyes: that schedules this.:p:D

For sharing & allowing me share,
Thank you!:D

Last edited:

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
HMPA + MBAE = conflict
SAS is pointless when MBAM and Avast is there

This config isn't overkill , it is bloated and conflicting.
++1

Hi TrapperX.

One form of protection I'll mention, now, is virtualization.
  • A popular (& free):cool: program which prevents unwanted changes permanently effecting your system is called Sandboxie - Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing I consider it similar to a "raincoat" for ones browser wherever conditions online may seem cloudy with a chance of malware!:p In my experience, this magically scientific "reset button" tends to be more compatible with either I.E. or Mozilla sourced browsers, although it gets used in our home indiscriminately.:D By the way, Sandbox-ie's (ie) originally referred to it's development due to Internet Explorer's vulnerabilities.o_O
  • Additionally (& for many, an indespensible program..) there is Shadow Defender. A wonderfully concise review by @cruelsister illustrates it's reliability in a comparison alongside another similar software, Timefreeze. Video Review - Shadow Defender vs TimeFreeze
For sharing & allowing me share,
Thank you!:D
++1

@TrapperX
if most of the day/month/year your pc is static, and you don't install software DL from there original source you only need:
1>real time protection
1>exploit protection
1~2>on-demand scanner

Addtional:
Sandboxing
Light Virtualization
or Anti-ransomware(WinAntiRansom preferably) if you don't want Sandboxing or LT

Thanks for sharing!!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.