App Review Trend Micro Antivirus+ Security

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Trend Micro Antivirus+ Security 2023
Installation (rating)
2.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
1.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
I was bombarded by notifications left and right. Install Chrome extension and Firefox extension (which I don't want, yet it keeps periodically asking to install them). Then you get update notifications, then random notifications here and there I lost track. Then another notification to turn on protected folders (docs, pics, music, etc) which I removed. It started getting on my nerves.

Then every time I watch a video in full screen, I get another notification that it went into mute mode, then another notification that I exited mute mode so I disabled mute mode altogether in settings.
Performance (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
It detected 2 files from an Office Custom install tool that I downloaded a while back from a forum which I thought was safe and no other AV caught it.
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Effective malware removal
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Clumsy or awkward interface (UI)
    • Lots of popups when running
    • Irritating privacy settings
    • Scans can be rather slow
    • Can be complex in some situations
Time spent using product
Reviewed for less than 24 hours
Computer specs
Alienware m15 R7 Laptop | AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX | Micron 64 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16 GB GDDR6 | 15.6" QHD 240Hz 2ms 400-Nit ComfortView Plus G-SYNC Screen | SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB SSD + Toshiba Kioxia KXG70PN84T094TB 4TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro
Recommended for
  1. Inexperienced users
  2. Financial banking or trading
  3. High-end or medium spec PCs
  4. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
2.00 star(s)

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I wouldn't come near Trend Micro's products after trying this until they do a complete overhaul of the UI and stop the annoying pop-ups and notifications.
Trend Micro notifications can be minimised in 2 ways:

-Immediately after installation, fill up all questions asked. Trend Micro will display features that ate relevant to you. Do not ignore features such as Folder Shield and the toolbar as fair percentage of Trend Micro protection comes from there. Once they are setup, there are no feature recommendation notifications.

-All other notifications which are rare but can be seen (threat detected, connection blocked) can be minimised by activating Mute Mode. It can be enabled permanently.

I can’t agree that settings are scattered. One click on the “Device” tab or right click on the tray reveal mute mode. Some points that you have mentioned under positives are not valid as well.

Network and firewall are rated 5-star, but Trend Micro has no firewall.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I disagree with you about the interface. It has a great interface.
It has no clutter, no nerdy and unnecessary info, a big status indicator is placed at the centre where your eyesight naturally falls. Everything is easy to find and there is not too much going on. Light, subtle animations guide the user from one flow to another. So yeah, one can say it’s an OK UI. It needs a dark mode.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
In my opinion the ui loooks nice, there is no pop ups or nags after installing. Installing took 5 minutes + reboot, it went smooth, browser got extension aswell.

I turned on hypersensitive wich i found easily from settings

Ram usage: light

Browsing internet is pretty fast

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.