Trend Micro Security 2021 Lite BETA

sepik

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Trend Micro Security 2021 Lite BETA (v17.2.1083)

Enhancing Great Innovations
Be one of the first to try Trend Micro Security 2021 Lite using your personal laptop or desktop at home. Submit a completed online survey or report any critical bug and get a 3-month extension on your current license!

BETA Testing period: January 11 – February 1, 2021 PST

Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 Lite mainly incorporates the following new features and enhancements:

Lighter installer package with the same protection

Enhanced installer size for faster download and installation. Get the following protection after installation:

Real-time Scan
Automatically scans files and folders downloaded or copied on the computer.

Manual Scan
Scans the most commonly accessed files and folders. A manual scan is triggered when the user initiates either Quick or Full Scan.

Web Threat protection
Scans websites as soon as you open them or clicked on a link.

Fill the registration form and download the beta HERE.

BIG thanks to @BigWrench for giving me the link to the beta! (y)

tmmain.jpg tmroot.jpgtmusage.jpg

Some first impressions:

- User interface is the same than in previous version
- Firewall Booster removed
- Installation package is now 100mb (about 450mb in previous version)
- No component downloads during installation
- Installs fast
- Basically zero impact to boot time (or i just don't notice it)
- Memory usage is about the same than in previous version

Test system: 7 years old Samsung laptop I3 2 ghz, 128 GB SSD (SATA II), 6gb ram

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I think all such solutions are slowly moving towards 150-200mb min. Ram usage.

This has been the case for years for almost all solutions, they were just hiding the real RAM usage in the pagefile or with system drivers to avoid users complain.

If they are showing 200 + mb RAM usage in task manager you can bet that it is a lot more.

About Trend Micro, what bothers me it isnt the RAM usage (fake or not), it is the humongous number of processes and the fact that more or less they are using the same "flawed" architecture for years.

Trend Micro for me is a big no-no because of how dependent it is on cloud detection, weak/lazy signatures and the fact that it is very false positive prone.

Last edited:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I was going to post something about it, but you were faster than me :p. The current version of Trend is already very light, if they improve even more it will be something incredible, good that they commit to improving performance even more, Trend Micro has always been a heavy AV in the past, it was the reason for not choosing them as my main AV , today things are different and I can say that they are better than ever, well, congratulations to the team!

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
I'm going to sign up for the Beta, according to Aurélio, Trend Micro is the third best antivirus in the world, behind Bitdefender and Kaspersky. His opinion was formed in 33 years of experience with Windows and digital security, in addition to being recognized by Microsoft as the best professional in the field in Brazil. I mean that Trend Micro is not perfect, just as there is no antivirus in the world whatsoever, just sharing the opinion of a professional on the subject: Os melhores antivírus pagos (com vídeo) | BABOO

sepik

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
About Trend Micro, what bothers me it isnt the RAM usage (fake or not), it is the humongous number of processes and the fact that more or less they are using the same "flawed" architecture for years.

First of all, there's no "fake ram usage".
As you can see below, two GData processes COMMIT about 1,4 gb of ram? That's no actual memory usage, its what's reserved by OS with pagefile usage.

We should focus on the working set and private bytes.

gdmem.jpg

And for "humongous" number of processes, it's better than one process. Because "humongous" amount of processes are linked together, when one fails, one parent process can revive each others, rather than killing one "big" process, when you lose all.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Trend Micro for me is a big no-no because of how dependent it is on cloud detection, weak/lazy signatures and the fact that it is very false positive prone.
It has good signatures and behavior blockers, as well as several other mechanisms in real time, they do not depend only on the cloud (which is one of the best).

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
First of all, there's no "fake ram usage".
As you can see below, two GData processes COMMIT about 1,4 gb of ram? That's no actual memory usage, its what's reserved by OS with pagefile usage.

We should focus on the working set and private bytes.

View attachment 253293

And for "humongous" number of processes, it's better than one process. Because "humongous" amount of processes are linked together, when one fails, one parent process can revive each others, rather than killing one "big" process, when you lose all.
some users here do not know how the RAM memory works, then they talk nonsense, unfortunately

• Applause
Reactions: BigWrench

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
@sepik @Mariihh

An insider’s secret: Antivirus programs tend to hide their RAM usage​

High memory usage is bad for marketing, but what do you do if you can’t avoid it? You hide it. There are two major techniques to make a big program look like a small one:

1. Use the page file:As described earlier, Windows puts less frequently used parts of programs onto the slower hard disk. Programs can also force that process and ‘ask’ Windows to swap them to the pagefile in regular intervals. Then the Windows Task Manager shows a very low memory usage, but the price for that is regular 1-3 second ‘thinking-periods’ when you access the program. That’s the amount of time needed to read the data from the hard disk again.
    Reduced memory usage

Reduced memory usage
    In Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security, you have full control over that feature. When you turn off “Memory usage optimization” in main settings, the software doesn’t initiate swapping to the page file. This means overall system performance is likely to increase if you have enough RAM.
  2. Use system drivers: Windows Task Manager only shows active programs and services, but not drivers. Drivers are code modules that are loaded directly by the operating system for certain core functionality. Some anti-virus vendors load hundreds of megabytes of data in their drivers to create the illusion of low memory usage. You can spot these by summing up the memory usage of all active programs and compare that with the value of total used RAM. If there is a huge difference, something is probably hiding high memory usage from you.

Source:

I didnt test Trend Micro and I dont care about RAM usage because I think it is actually a good thing, thats why I used the expression "fake or not".

Context is everything, I didnt say that Trend Micro is faking its RAM usage, I said that the technique exists and was extensively used in the industry, SO THERE WASNT "a moving towards 150-200mb min".

I replied an user that commented about this apparently worried and there is no reason for that.

About the "the parent process can revive each others, rather than killing one "big" process, when you lose all" is just your opinion and most of the industry doesnt agree with that, but I wont go deep with it and wont reply about this matter in this thread anymore.

I will just say that more processes = large surface attack area, because it becomes much more complex to implement mitigations like properly ASRL, something that Google's Project Zero showed extensively along the years, especially with Trend Micro.

Last edited:
  • Applause
Reactions: SomeRandomCat

sepik

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Trend Micro and G Data is basically the same in terms of what they are focused on. Its small SMB, bigger corporate environments and so on. Their income what comes to home products are low. Infact Trend Micro does have a support forum, and i allowed on of them to contact via support tool. Sure, he/she failed to fix problem which i had. Oh well...
Nevertheless, both are good products, kinda funny if TM fails against signed malware...

Reactions: Nevi and BigWrench

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
Even though, it's still a bit worrisome why they didn't think about applying this before. I wouldn't cared if they hadn't seen this as a problem by the reason of you said (BB blocks unknown malware on all computers) but in fact they do.

Trend Micro behavioural blocker doesn’t share file hash for automatic blacklisting: fix confirmed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.