harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Trend Micro Maximum Security 17 - September Report 2021
Due to the small number of samples used in this tests, you should take results with a grain of salt. We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
__

System Status Abbreviations:

P: Protected
NC: Not Clean
I: Infected
E: Encrypted

* : Partially Blocked

Second Opinion Scanners Status Abbreviations:

C: Clean
I: Infected

Additional Abbreviations:

WV: WiseVector StopX
HMP: HitManPro
NPE: Norton Power Eraser
KVRT: Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

BSR: Before System Reboot
ASR: After System Reboot

September
2021​
Samples
Pack​
Static
Detection​
Dynamic
Detection​
Total
Detection​
System Files
Encrypted​
2nd Opinion
Scanners​
System
Final Status​
Thread
Link​
08/09/2021
0 / 2
1 + 1* / 2
1 + 1* / 2
No
C: HMP I: WV NPE
BSR: I
ASR: I
14/09/2021
0 / 2
0 / 2
0 / 2
No
I
15/09/2021
1 / 5
2 / 4
3 / 5
No
C: HMP
I: WV NPE KVRT
18/09/2021
1 / 2
1* / 1
1 + 1* / 2
No
C: WV HMP KVRT
I: NPE
21/09/2021
1 / 4
1 / 3
2 / 4
No
C: WV HMP KVRT
I: NPE
ASR: NC
26/09/2021
1 / 2
0 / 1
1 / 2
No
C: WV HMP NPE
P
30/09/2021
0 / 3
2 + 1* / 3
2 + 1* / 3
No
C: HMP
I: WV NPE KVRT
/09/2021
-
/
/
/
No Yes
C: WV HMP NPE KVRT
I: WV HMP NPE KVRT
P NC I
Post#​
/09/2021
-
/
/
/
No Yes
P NC I
Post#​
/09/2021
-
/
/
/
No Yes
P NC I
Post#​

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It's a few days left on this test with TM, but I must say I'm surprised to see how much it struggles. On the other hand maybe not a surprise if one considering the issue with submitting undetected samples, as @harlan4096 also mention here:

@harlan4096 , I did a small search and found two possible solutions for submitting samples to TM that you might wanna try. I'll send those internal and if it works you can always share it here.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I am not surprised to see those below average results from Trend Micro, it is a okayish solution in the enterprise market and a pretty bad one in the consumer segment.

Trend Micro's detection rate is supported almost entirely by cloud-generated auto-detections, aka "detect everything certain industry names detect", which generates a ridiculous false positive rate.

This situation will not change, hiring laboratory analysts (woodpeckers) are expensive, but mediocre automated cloud detections? Not so much in the long term ...

The most important thing to demonstrate the quality of an antivirus solution is the quality of its "traditional" signatures and as the post above shows, Trend Micro doesn't care.

Not only that, considering how archaic the Trend Micro product code is and their glacial development cycle (numerous vulnerabilities over the years), I just can't understand why anyone would use their products by choice.

Nightwater

Level 2
Jan 26, 2021
I am not surprised to see those below average results from Trend Micro, it is a okayish solution in the enterprise market and a pretty bad one in the consumer segment.

Trend Micro's detection rate is supported almost entirely by cloud-generated auto-detections, aka "detect everything certain industry names detect", which generates a ridiculous false positive rate.

This situation will not change, hiring laboratory analysts (woodpeckers) are expensive, but mediocre automated cloud detections? Not so much in the long term ...

The most important thing to demonstrate the quality of an antivirus solution is the quality of its "traditional" signatures and as the post above shows, Trend Micro doesn't care.

Not only that, considering how archaic the Trend Micro product code is and their glacial development cycle (numerous vulnerabilities over the years), I just can't understand why anyone would use their products by choice.
Hahaha, you're funny, people use it because it has good protection, everyone chooses what they want, I don't know why you hate the Trend so much, if you don't like it, keep quiet, there are people who like it, the same way people use that crap Chinese and comodo, I would never use, but I respect who uses, you should do the same, this is getting boring. update yourself!

* Another thing, the samples here from Hud would rarely reach the average user, the normal samples that reach the average user Trend Micro will block (av test, av comparatives), these samples here don't simulate the real life of an common/average user, keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Hahaha, you're funny, people use it because it has good protection, everyone chooses what they want, I don't know why you hate the Trend so much, if you don't like it, keep quiet, there are people who like it, the same way people use that crap Chinese and comodo, I would never use, but I respect who uses, you should do the same, this is getting boring. update yourself!

* Another thing, the samples here from Hud would rarely reach the average user, the normal samples that reach the average user Trend Micro will block (av test, av comparatives), these samples here don't simulate the real life of an common/average user, keep that in mind.
Criticizing him for "hating" on Trend Micro while you are calling Comodo and chinese software crap? :unsure:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Yes, and no. Let me try explain as this particular part sadly always been a huge misconception as it gets very obvious that people tends to forget, what the actual main purpose of the Malware Hub is. It's about testing AVs ( Anti-Virus ) software after a specific pre-set amount of staff decided rules and tools that also works as much as possible for the members of the Hub and their respective time-zone and spare/free-time. There is no secret and never been one in exactly how, the Hub in the end test the samples. That's even posted and shared in all the supplied screenshots. Again, the Hub plain and basic concentrate on test AVs, and not browsers, email clients etc.

Something else that can't be repeated enough is, Time! It's one of the most important key factors when testing malware. Much much more important then many realize and understand. Trace and investigate that specific part with testing labs and in their reports, is very different from how it's possible in the Hub. The more fresh a sample is, and the sooner a test is done and completed, the bigger chance is that the specific sample is still enough alive and kicking and actually would show what it can do, if an AV would not be able to block/kill and protect the system. For AVs in the Hub, it's many time a very brutal and painful experience, but that's also another reason for the Hub as we genuine try to help vendors and always submit those samples so the vendors can hopefully improve.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I recall last time I tested TM (last year) it got better results 🤔🤷‍♂️

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

From the point of view like protection effectiveness offered by AV vendors, that really doesn't matter how prevalent are malware samples. Any very good AV (what promises almost 100% protection for users) should be able to block attacks by malware as much as possible, so here the Malware-Hub with more fresh samples or rarely unknown malware variants also shows what AV performs better overall compared to other AVs. Finally, users can check for test-results and comparing with the last year...

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
although i have liked Trend a lot in the past and almost always bought licenses very often i=something kept me from using it as my main antivirus. the lack of fw and the reputation it had now and then....maybe it is the color that keeps me liking it...who knows

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.