Advanced Plus Security Trooper's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Jun 5, 2022
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
macOS 15 Sequoia
On-device encryption
Device sign-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time protection
Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home
Device firewall
Custom security settings
Windows Firewall.
Simple Windows Hardening
Periodic malware scanners
EEK
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browsers and extensions
Microsoft Edge
uBlock Origin
Bitwarden Password Manager
Reddit Enhancement Suite
Emsisoft Browser Security
Secure DNS
NextDNS
Desktop VPN
Mullvad
Password and passkey manager
Bitwarden
Maintenance tools
Combination of CCleaner and Manual Cleaning
File and photo backups
Local Backup to External Drive
System recovery
Macrium Reflect 8.0
Usage and exposure
    • Working from home
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Visiting unknown or untrusted websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming from untrusted sites
Computer specs
HP Z1 Entry Tower G5
Intel Core i7 9700
Radeon RX580
32GB
SSD Drive 512GB
Feedback preference

Suggestions on the main improvements

I would set UAC to always notify to prevent bypasses:
Gebert's straightforward mitigation advice to prevent UAC bypass attacks is setting UAC to "Always Notify." Doing so will always show the user UAC prompts before high-risk applications are executed.
 
Periodic security scanners -> one or 2 3rd party second opinion scanners are always welcome: KVRT, EEK...

Thanks for sharing :)

It's been awhile and I kind of just plain forgot. Good idea, will add a few and report back. Thanks.

I would set UAC to always notify to prevent bypasses:


UAC is now set to max. Cheers!
 
Please reflect the changes editing Your config, thanks :)

UAC bumped up to Max. Added EEK and ran a scan. All good.

1648600832376.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am ok then? Lol. Norton has been running well. I guess part of me struggles with two things. The crypto deal (I have it off), and waiting for the day when Norton fubars something on my machine. But I suppose that is what backups are for. I used to use ESET and Kaspersky but for some reason neither of these av's play nice on this computer.
 
The biggest problem I had with BD is the update size is much larger than other AVs. On an SSD that does cause a lot of writes. Not the end of the world, but it is a bit harder on SSDs than others.
 
The biggest problem I had with BD is the update size is much larger than other AVs. On an SSD that does cause a lot of writes. Not the end of the world, but it is a bit harder on SSDs than others.
I noticed this as well. Forgo to mention it.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top