New Update uBlock 0rigin

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Is there a ScriptSafe for Edge? Currently I use Ublock for Edge.

9724anon7537

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2018
Quote from Squidblacklist website
View attachment 178463

So IMO for effective uBlock0rigin list you can reduce the default blocklist rules (66.9K network rules and 45.1 cosmetic rules = 115K rules) by:

Stick to the default list, but make it leaner:
  • Enable "Ignore generic cosmetic filters" (reduces CPU load)
  • Disable malware filters when you have enabled Google safe Search or Microsoft Smartscreen (you could also add a DNS service with malware blocking like Comodo, Norton, OpenDns or Quad9)
  • This leaves you with 51.4K network and 27.4K cosmetic filters (78.8K total = 68% of default).
  • The benefits for this scenario is that the block rate is nearly the same (99% of the default lists) while resource usage is 30% less. Because the default enabled Easylist blocklists are used, you will still face some website breakage and the occasional anti-adblock wall/pupup.

Switch to "less is more" tactic:
  • Enable "Ignore generic cosmetic filters"
  • Disable all defaults, but enable the wel maintained spyware filter from Adguard
  • Add the also daily cleaned adblock Squidblacklist Blacklist from (thx @ozone: https://www.squidblacklist.org/downloads/sbl-adblock.acl)
  • This leaves you with 10.5 K network and only 104 cosmetic rules
  • These two well curated blocklists will break less website with 85% block rate of full default set with 9% of the resources/rules. I don't notice any difference in regards to blocked advertisements.

Use a "best of both worlds" approach:
  • Ignore generic cosmetic filters AND disable cosmetic filtes (reduces CPU load & filter resources)
  • Disablle all defaults, but enable the wel maintained spyware filter from Adguard
  • Add the wel curated Adguard English filter by cpying this link in the custom section and choose apply changes (English filter from https://filters.adtidy.org/extension/chromium/filters/2.txt)
  • This leaves you with 44.5 K network and zero cosmetic rules (38% of default rules)
  • These two well curated blocklists will break less website while the block rate is not noticeably impacted (95% blockrate of default lists).

By disabling cosmetic filters you mean the parse and enforce cosmetic filters option, right?
From what we know if you disable this option you minimize the ram usage, what other benefits you get performance wise with this option disabled? E.g. less cpu utilization and page load overhead?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
By disabling cosmetic filters you mean the parse and enforce cosmetic filters option, right?
From what we know if you disable this option you minimize the ram usage, what other benefits you get performance wise with this option disabled? E.g. less cpu utilization and page load overhead?
cosmetic filtering/element hiding uses a lot more CPU to hide unwanted elements which cannot be blocked by regular rules
if you open a test page full of elements, your PC might be frozen
regular blockrules only use small amount of CPU

disabling it can save some CPU

9724anon7537

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2018
Update:

Sadly i had to re-enable the Parse and enforce cosmetic filters because 1) i started to see adds in Google search results 2) the cookie pop-up notices are major PITA

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Other members on this forum advised me to use Nano Adblocker on Edge in stead of uBlock. It is a uBlock fork with additional anti-adbock but gets more updates as uBlock for Edge.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
In Edge uBlock Origin start ok but in chrome same settings start slow,why ?

Added imported filters? Custom filters? Have you tried Nano Adblocker in each browser? In Edge it’s a better choice. Probably better option in Chrome which I discarded. Otherwise Iat the moment I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.