Status
Not open for further replies.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@Windows_Security You still recommend Squidblacklist + Adguard Spyware for your "less is more" approach or have you changed the lists for this?
@Burrito and @oldschool

Here is the export of my Filter I use with NanoAdblocker on Edge (of Asus Transformer I use for travel).. It contains around 2000 domains from DNT simple Ad-filter and (the Apple app) trackers from Better-FYI. I only contains COM, NET, ORG, INF domains because I started using it along side uBO-companion on Chrome (and I block all javascript on Chrome with exception rules, allowing high level country domains, [*.]com, [*.]inf, {*.]org and [*.] net.

Easy way to work: copy dark RED dains from uBO-companion to uBO my rules RED_DOMAIN * * BLOCK, when it does not break anything, add it amonth later to My Filters as ||RED_DOMAIN^ and remove it from my rules).

I only use My Filters (don't need more with my surfing habits). This covers ads and trackers from Alexa Top100 news sites and Top500 websites.

I run uBlock with third-party blocking. When I do my morning read on news sites or visit websites from my bookmarks, I just disable 3rd-party blocking. The 2K rules will do (you could add the easylist for your country to it).
So it seems Disconnect Advertising List (similar to Peter Lowe's) and Better FYI trackers blocklist (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/a...rchive/master/Better.fyiTrackersBlocklist.txt) which were filtered to only include .com, .net, .org,. inf domains. This in addition to the sites in dark red ||website.com^ in uBO-companion. This is all in My Filters.
Also blocking javascript using Chrome from domains other than the above and I assume uses uBlock Origin's Advanced mode to block third-party and noop third-party on a per site basis.
Am I wrong?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Privacy Possum is a much better fork and addon compared to Privacy Badger. Possum is developed by an ex programmer for the project at PF too.

~LDogg

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
So it seems Disconnect Advertising List (similar to Peter Lowe's) and Better FYI trackers blocklist (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/a...rchive/master/Better.fyiTrackersBlocklist.txt) which were filtered to only include .com, .net, .org,. inf domains. This in addition to the sites in dark red ||website.com^ in uBO-companion. This is all in My Filters.
Also blocking javascript using Chrome from domains other than the above and I assume uses uBlock Origin's Advanced mode to block third-party and noop third-party on a per site basis.
Am I wrong?
Spot on :)

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@Windows_Security Wouldn't Privacy Badger be similar to the uBo companion app? What does the Better FYI trackers blocklist add to DNT Ads list?

Trackers of top 500 alexa news websites, and I happen to visit three Dutch,1 UK and 5 US news sites a lot (nearky brings blocking rate of unnessecary 3rd-party to 100%)

Privacy Badger does the same, but very conservative (so I am sometimes asking why does it not block that website). uBo also shows the website category according to (forget which) a website (which badger does not)

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@Windows_Security You still recommend Squidblacklist + Adguard Spyware for your "less is more" approach or have you changed the lists for this?

Yep but after more testing also am reasonably satisfied with Peter Low's and MVPS host. When you start to reduce blocklist, effectivity depends on your personal browsing experience. So in hinsight should have posted more explicitely that your mileage may vary depnding on surfing habits. Apologize for that.

The 2000 domain blocklist combined from DNT and FYI work great for me

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
UBO-Scope can be used to personalize your blocklists. This extension explains why some well maintained blocklists are so effective (Adguard basic DNS, Disconnect simple ad filter). It costs a lot of money to set up an ad & tracking service with a large infrastructure. In most people's personal webspace, it is very unlikely you will encounter more than 5000 different ad- and tracking services in your entire living life (there is simply no market for more companies offering these services, see for instance Trackers | Better).
Is actual list used size over apparent list size a good metric of efficiency compared to marginal resource increase versus control over apparent list size? I'd imagine the optimization curves would be different. Ergo, the solution (set of lists) for the former would be different from the latter.
I'm not any kind of mathematician by the way.
Redmorph did say in alternativeto that Easylist have a lot of deadwood. Their product isn't as good and as complete yet as an adblocker though and their tests compared to uBlock Origin on default which doesn't block social so lets through Facebook, some Google and Twitter which are a lot nor did they test for resource efficiency.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Yep but after more testing also am reasonably satisfied with Peter Low's and MVPS host. When you start to reduce blocklist, effectivity depends on your personal browsing experience. So in hinsight should have posted more explicitely that your mileage may vary depnding on surfing habits. Apologize for that.

The 2000 domain blocklist combined from DNT and FYI work great for me
So you've changed again around this time?
Any changes from that time to now?

Reactions: oldschool

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
I wish uBlock Origin had optimized filter lists like Adguard.
4057.png

Reactions: harlan4096

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
> An option to use “optimized” filters
"This statistics allows us to optimize existing filters and clean up redundant rules"
"App performance and memory usage depends on the filters size, so it is essential to use smaller filters there."

µBlock, a lean and fast blocker
"uBlock tries to detect and not load duplicate filters"

@TerrakionSmash
Have you noticed better performance and memory usage with the new extension? Can you tell if it's lighter than uBlock Origin. Thanks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Please explain further.
Are the shorter lists in Adguard better than the supposed efficiency of uBlock Origin or Nano Adblocker with the same longer lists?
using the default settings in both, adguard beats ublock because adguard's english, spyware and annoyance filters are much much better than ublock's basic filters combine

ublock with these adguard's lists + other great filters >>>>> adguard
adguard can't add custom filters and manage/autoupdate. When a filter is added into adguard, it is copied and pasted (automatically) into user filters -> when you want to update the filter, you must redo the above step, manually => that's why I hate adguard extension

1 more thing, adguard isn't fully compatible with filters made for adblock plus and ublock. When you copy some rules into adguard user filter, adguard will show syntax error

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.