App Review uBlock Origin Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
AdGuard will block malicious URL's ;)
Adguard — how to protect yourself from scams and how does Ahtiphishing—protection from malicious websites work
AGSS.png

I have used AdGuard for a good while now and love it. Does the job for me.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Do you advice to enable WOT however now?
Adguard released official statement about WOT case so take a look at it. :)

They said:

"First of all, we need to say that we do have a Web of Trust extension in Adguard, but it's not that original WoT add-on. It was developed by us, using the data on websites reputation by Web of Trust.
And it's important to mention that we bought this data for money, and have never traded privacy of our users."

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Adguard released official statement about WOT case so take a look at it.

They said: "First of all, we need to say that we do have a Web of Trust extension in Adguard, but it's not that original WoT add-on. It was developed by us, using the data on websites reputation by Web of Trust.
And it's important to mention that we bought this data for money, and have never traded privacy of our users."
No, and AdGuard has stated they are most likely removing it.
But it's your call, I wouldn't add it.
OK thank you guys :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
No, and AdGuard has stated they are most likely removing it.
But it's your call, I wouldn't add it.
EDIT: ok so they did remove the original, good.
Thanks for that Marko ;)
I don't think they ever had original WOT extension in Adguard. The one in Adguard is their version and the only thing they do is collect data from WOT's website. It's disabled by default. ;)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I just performed a quick test for uBO, avira and adguard extensions on google chrome with and without google browser safety
I enabled a lot of filters in uBO and adguard (adguard showed a notification of browsing speed slowdown)

I use phishing links from phishtank, old and new ones. Opened ~30-40 links randomly. Dead links were ignored

filters
uBO
Untitled.png

adguard
2.PNG

What I can see from my quick test:
- both 3 missed a lot of links, especially the links reported today (27/2/2017)
- avira >>> uBO, google and adguard combined
- adguard could block a few more links (very few) if google browser safety (GBS) was enabled. When the links were blocked by GBS, I allowed them to run, adguard also let them pass
- when GBS was disabled, adguard produced almost identical result compared to GBS, just a few links more were blocked
- uBO could block many links also especially older ones, new links (today) were not yet added to the filters
- uBO usually didn't block links blocked by GBS. in the other hand, uBO blocked links missed by GBS and adguard => they didn't overlap each other much
- avira was the most effective
- I tried to enable everything together (all 4: GBS, avira, adguard, uBO), very good result but many links were missed

my conclusion: if you use chrome or chromium-based browsers, adguard phishing protection is just slightly better or you don't even need adguard due to the overlap in engines if you have GBS enabled. It's highly recommended to use avira. You can use uBO and add more filters to strengthen your browser safety

during the test, my avast web shield also blocked many links but it was weaker than avira

note: this is just a phishing test, no malware link was tested. The result would have changed depends on filters added in uBO

Last edited:
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Firstly, to anybody wondering why I recorded this test - this was a viewer requested video!

I use Windscribe add and script(proxy) blocker, could you not make a video about Windscribe:)
I use Windscribe as my VPN & I may do later this year - at the moment I have exams to prepare for!

It is a little bit misleading because the adblocker will be as good as the filters he utilizes and testing it against malicious websites is really ridiculous.
I agree, but like I said - viewer requested video.

this should be renamed to Malware domain lists review :D
uBO has nothing to do with malware blocking, also true for adguard adblocker.

The thing that adguard is better than uBO using the default settings is adguard has "adguard spyware" filter enabled by default if I'm not mistaken => better maware blocking ability

so can I request a short video for uBO with all filters I mentioned in the above post added?

I know this was requested by a user but it's still very unfair to test uBO without a proper phishing filter against phishing links
I have rarely seen Malware domain lists blocking anything since I started using it for many many years

hphosts is created by malwarebytes so I think the result will be obviously better
Because of exams & revision I will not be accepting requests for a while. I have 3 months until my exams & then I have 1 month of exams :( I am revising daily & don't have much free time at the moment...
So bottom line is, out-of-the-box AdGguard adblocker offers better protection than out-of-the-box uBlock Origin?o_O
Well I think +90% of users (including myself) use uBlock Origin without any tweaking!
So users of uBlock Origin need to add more filters, or switch to Adguard Adblocker?
Yes you are correct for Malicious + Phishing URL protection :) AdGuard offers more protection, but some would argue that uBlock Origin is a better Adblock.

Thank you to everyone who watched the video :D

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I have question for anyone using uBO. Sometimes when page is loading, I can see elements disappearing (Facebook, Twitter widgets). Does this sometimes happens to you?

When I had installed Adguard browser extension, these elements were never shown and they were blocked before loading finished.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have question for anyone using uBO. Sometimes when page is loading, I can see elements disappearing (Facebook, Twitter widgets). Does this sometimes happens to you?

When I had installed Adguard browser extension, these elements were never shown and they were blocked before loading finished.
I saw it in all adblockers including uBO and adguard
tested with the default settings in facebook.com
facebook showed an ad on the right side of the screen and then it disappeared, hid by adguard shortly after, same like uBO

I think this is due to element hiding. those elements cannot be blocked by any filter but can be hidden
perhaps, adguard blocks ads and hides elements at the same time, who knows, so you may see it faster than uBO. uBO may prioritize blocking first and then hiding elements. We don't know

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Well, I have some issues with Avira plugin with uBlock Origin... maybe any suggestions?
do you mean they conflict each others?
here is what I wrote. I have been using this combo for a long time and I know what happens
they say conflict but actually not. I'm sure that won't conflict. They just try to block the same link

similar to windows, A deletes a file, B also wants to delete the same file but A deletes it already. Then B says "Wait, where is my file? I can't delete it. Conflict!!!" I have been using them (BD, avira, ublock) for a year without problems. Ignore the conflict message

Reactions: MalwareBlockerYT

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.