uBlock does not load adminSettings at first run

Firefox

Bizarre perf drain when ajaxing in 90,000 DOM nodes in a react component

Core

Google Tag Manager eventCallback in a populated dataLayer not called
Countering a removeparam filter causes page-redirect problem
Asset viewer shows no space between !#endif and a comment line in uBlock's list
Text in Manage Extension Shortcuts includes escaped ­
In popup, the Reload button becomes immediately hidden if re-enabling the large power button too quickly

Notable commits without en entry in the issue tracker

Add ability to linger for remove-class scriptlet
Add empty array, object to set-constant scriptlet
Fix potential exception when casting to string
Make googletagmanager_gtm.js an alias of google-analytics_analytics.js
Ensure getter/setter are called with proper context
Allow filter list subscription through context menu
Keep reporting last time "out of date" lists were updated
Fix improper hashing of rules in classic popup panel

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBlock Origin 1.37.2 Released (July 28, 2021)
Download - 1.37.0 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - 1.37.2 - Chrome (Web Store)
Download - 1.36.2 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - 1.36.2 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)
It will take some time until the new version will be available on AMO, Chrome Web Store, etc.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
FYI - most recent posts re: Manifest V3

gorhill4, Jun 06 2021:

I looked at the declarativeNetRequest API documentation a few days ago and I see that a functionality key to uBO has been added, i.e. the ability to assign a priority to filters, which is key to implement the important filter option, and also dynamic filtering. Given this, I may give a try to implement an MV3 version as a way to find out in a concrete manner which features will still be broken.
A big hurdle not addressed yet is the inability for filter lists to be updated dynamically without having to publish an update of the extension itself -- consider how often we ask people reporting filter issues here to "update your filter lists, this has been just fixed".
In any case, this does not solve the fundamental issue that having the matching algorithm set in stone in the browser will cripple innovations in content blockers. For instance, there would have been no need for a priority property in 2013, and had the declarativeNetRequest API been designed back then according to the need of the time, this would have meant a lot of innovations brought forth since then would have been prevented.
This is the main concern with the declarativeNetRequest API, we don't know yet which innovations will be required in the future for content blockers to still be able to perform in the best interests of users.

and gorhill, Jul 04 2021
the ability to assign a priority to filters, which is key to implement the important filter option, and also dynamic filtering.
I looked more into this priority property. It does now allow to support the important option1, and does allow dynamic block/allow rules to have precedence over static filters, and to also to properly implement precedence between rules themselves (though an actual prototype would tell whether I overlook something). However, it's still not possible to implement noop rules, which purpose is to ignore inherited block/allow rules and fall back strictly on static filters, and which is a key concept to dynamic filtering. Summary, latest version of declarativeNetRequest, as per documentation, still breaks dynamic filtering in uBO, due to the inability to implement the noop concept. Suggestions welcome if somebody can think of a way to implement noop rules which I am not seeing.

There is also the issue of denyallow filter option, not supported by the declarativeNetRequest API. It might be possible to implement using negative lookahead complex regexes (which was what denyallow was meant to prevent in the first place), but given that the number of regex-based filters are further limited, this is another pain point of the declarativeNetRequest API. Also, still no way to implement blocking according to response header content, so preventing the no-large-media-elements per-site switch, or the new experimental header= filter option. Also, no match for strict1p, strict3p, and so on as I looked more into the latest documentation.

[1] confirmed with a mini extension locally -- a higher priority block could take precedence over a lower priority allow filter

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
EasyList Cookie breaks sites for me. I think "I Don't Care About Cookies" is a less problematic AND superior alternative.

From that list:
If you can, use the extension instead of the filter list, it works even better!

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
From that list:

I think they are trying to make their extension more popular. The filter list on their site is more than enough. Fanboy's Annoyance list in uBO is also better than EasyList Cookie. It seems they vet their filters more.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Regarding 'I don't care about cookies', the only difference between the extension and the filterlist is:
This browser extension removes cookie warnings from almost all websites and saves you thousands of unnecessary clicks!

In most cases, it just blocks or hides cookie related pop-ups. When it's needed for the website to work properly, it will automatically accept the cookie policy for you (sometimes it will accept all and sometimes only necessary cookie categories, depending on what's easier to do). It doesn't delete cookies.
Whereas the filterlist either blocks the script for the cookie (script blocking) or just cosmetically hides the popup/(cookie-)notice.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
uBlock Origin 1.38.0 Released (September 17, 2021)
Download - 1.37.2 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - 1.37.2 - Chrome (Web Store)
Download - 1.37.2 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - 1.37.2 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)
Download - 1.15.24 - Edge Legacy (Microsoft Store) (retired addon)
It will take some time until the new version will be available on AMO, Chrome Web Store, etc.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Changelog:
New
:matches-path(...)

New cosmetic procedural operator, :matches-path(...). See "Add $path modifier of Adguard or any equivalents of this".

Node.js
A new Node.js package will now published with every release. The package allows to import and use uBO's static and dynamic filtering engines into Node.js. This is currently minimal and a first iteration, and issues regarding the Node.js package are accepted in order to improve usability of uBO's filtering engines in a Node.js package. The ability to run code from a Node.js package also opens the door to have test coverage in uBO.

For now the package can be downloaded and unzipped locally. Once installed, you can execute node test in the root of the package to verify that the static network filtering engine works properly. For usage, refer to the test.js, or ublock.js used in Cliqz's benchmark.

Since I have little experience with dealing with Node.js environment/packages, thanks to @mjethani for assistance.

Removed
The setting "Prevent WebRTC from leaking local IP addresses" has been removed since it is no longer necessary in modern browsers, except for Firefox for Android where the issue is still present.

Closed as fixed:
Notable commits without en entry in the issue tracker

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
uBO is really the greatest invention for the Internet since the invention of the browser and Firefox's idea of extensions to enhance web browsing. I was using a corporate computer today without uBO and browsing the web is essentially impossible unless you have at least minimal adblocking.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBlock Origin 1.38.2 Released (September 30, 2021)
Download - 1.37.2 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - 1.38.0 - Chrome (Web Store)
Download - 1.37.2 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - 1.38.0 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
uBlock Origin 1.38.4
@github-actions github-actions released this 28 minutes ago

Commits to master since this release
Commits since last release
To install the stable build:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBlock Origin 1.38.6 Released (October 14, 2021)
Download - 1.38.4 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - 1.38.4 - Chrome (Web Store)
Download - 1.38.6 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - 1.38.4 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.