What is the best adblocker extension in your opinion?

H

Herofday

Thread author
I'm using uBlock Origin, it's light and simple to use. I used in the past all of these adblocker and I think uBlock Origin is the Best. What is your favorite ad blocker? The light is more uBlock Origin also in your opinion?

Mod Edit: added additional adblocks. Note that most work with Firefox and Chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have mixed experience with uBlock O. Not all pages render properly. ABP works fine out of the box. Ghostery is not an ad blocker. You can use some of its features but basically obsolete if you are using an ad blocker already.

ABP is a bit heavier than uBlock O but then again, hardly noticeable unless you running 10+ tabs and have a mid end or low end system.

Ghostery I would just steer away from it, plain and simple, due to their policy (google it for more info).

edit: voted Adguard since I know added the 4th option to OP.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
uBlock Origin IMO wins in the page-loading time category of the original 3 options. That I will concede.
my only issue with ublock is the rendering of pages on default settings. The same with before becoming Origin.

Many use uBlock due to the less RAM used, but many do not really know how to use its settings and use it mainly to just block ads.

For a power user, yes uBlock Origin is superior to the rest of the options provided but lets be honest, majority of the people only want to block those annoying ads. ABP/Adguard do its job just fine :)

N

Noxx

Thread author
my only issue with ublock is the rendering of pages on default settings. The same with before becoming Origin.

Many use uBlock due to the less RAM used, but many do not really know how to use its settings and use it mainly to just block ads.

For a power user, yes uBlock Origin is superior to the rest of the options provided but lets be honest, majority of the people only want to block those annoying ads. ABP/Adguard do its job just fine :)

And that's why I use ADGUARD. I get the speed and no/little to no ads. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference like everything else...

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'll confess that I've ridden the uBlock (Origin) express primarily on the good advice of those whom know more than I.o_O
That said, it's been a good experience having used each respective extension, although as mentioned :rolleyes:above Ghostery's policies:oops: (plus I'd used it mainly as an anti-tracker choice for myself) eventually delegated it off to the wayside from our browsers.
ABP (always a viable choice) hasn't let me down. *Adguard. I used to use the extension, ..& with only good results; and have it's full application key (..somewhere. Now, it's time to find it!:p) I'll borrow @Inkurax's example of 10+ browser tabs open (if using uBlock O.) by stating I've enjoyed having as many ad block subscriptions each with the ease of updating them all in a single click.:cool:
Colour me L-a-z-y!!:rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
As an adblocker i would recommend to choose between adguard or ublock origin.
Adblock plus is good but it's slowing down browsing at least in my system.
Ghostery personally i use it right now alongside uBlock ( not Origin ) but not as an adblocker.
Between Adguard and uBlock Origin whatever you choose i think you will be ok.
Both are very light on system and they don't slowdown browsing.
Pages are opening really quick and both of use about the same amount of RAM.
If i am not mistaken both use about 40 MB of RAM
Just pick the one you feel more comfortable with it;)

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Since other options are added to the poll i want to say that i choose uBlock.
The reason is that in my opinion Origin and Adguard are a bit aggressive for my taste and block some sites that i know are legit.
Now you will say why i don't add those sites to the whitelist.
Because sometimes i am very lazy and because that's why i have KIS:) to save me from malicious sites;)

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
uBlock Origin (block 3rd-party frames) with Anti-AdBlocker Killer + AdsBypasser (both with TamperMonkey) is what give me peace of mind while browsing nowdays; I find that many websites are so annoying without this.

I personally recommend this combo, the browsing experience becomes so fast, safe and clean that you will become addicted :p

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
uBlock Origin (block 3rd-party frames) with Anti-AdBlocker Killer + AdsBypasser (both with TamperMonkey) is what give me peace of mind while browsing nowdays; I find that many websites are so annoying without this.

TamperMonkey/GreaseMonkey on Chrome/Firefox with Anti-Adblocker Killer + AdsBypasser is what is used in one of my systems as well as the default combo when I fix people's pc. It does what it says on the tint + Adguard.

Although for Adblocker killer website, adguard is not listed, the actual list is loaded in Adguard.

Despite Adguard extension offering less control than uBlock Origin, my previous reasons for Adguard over uBlock O remain.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
For me there's only one winner, even compared with Adguard Premium, and that's uBlock Origin. It's light, very user friendly, blocking is top notch, pages load quickly, and the advanced user mode is excellent (even I can use it). I've blocked 3rd party frames, and if this causes issues on some sites it's one click to create a local rule.

I really wanted to like Adguard Premium but I just couldn't get on with it. A much heavier load than uBlock Origin, pages didn't load as quickly, and not very user friendly either. There were lots of niggling problems too, especially with Firefox, such as various sites not loading, youtube not working in full screen etc. A lot were to do with certification issues but after a while I got fed up having to rectify this. Just too much hassle.

Even before Ghostery's privacy issues came to light I was never a fan. Not that light and pages loaded more slowly.

I used Adblock Plus for years. It was OK but I switched to uBlock because it was noticeably lighter. I then switched to uBlock Origin on the recommendation of many here at MT when they informed me that, unlike uBlock, it was still being developed.

I haven't used the other products listed in the poll.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Having fired up some sites I had issues with uBlock O, it seems to been fixed overtime.

As the gaming system doesnt have Adguard software installed, will test drive uBlock O again for some time, therefore my previous arguments of Adguard and uBlock O in this thread are no longer valid.
Thank you
I never had any issues with uBlock Origin.

AdGuard too is good. I dont like HTTPS filtering so dont use it. And I find uBlock Origin blocks better than any i.e I have on occasion find something not blocked by any but blocked by uBlock Origin.

And for me, uBlock Origin a light browser extension is better compared to AdGuard that needs to be installed on system.

I guess the advantage of AdGuard is, can block ads on programs too, right? And ads on Win 10 apps too, right?
But guess by default now "WFP" filtering is disabled in AdGuard.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.