What is the best adblocker extension in your opinion?

H

Herofday

Thread author
I'm using uBlock Origin, it's light and simple to use. I used in the past all of these adblocker and I think uBlock Origin is the Best. What is your favorite ad blocker? The light is more uBlock Origin also in your opinion?

Mod Edit: added additional adblocks. Note that most work with Firefox and Chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I never had any issues with uBlock Origin.

AdGuard too is good. I dont like HTTPS filtering so dont use it. And I find uBlock Origin blocks better than any i.e I have on occasion find something not blocked by any but blocked by uBlock Origin.

And for me, uBlock Origin a light browser extension is better compared to AdGuard that needs to be installed on system.

I guess the advantage of AdGuard is, can block ads on programs too, right? And ads on Win 10 apps too, right?
But guess by default now "WFP" filtering is disabled in AdGuard.
Perhaps somewhere in the thread confusion was raised. Adguard in the poll is the extension which does not need to be installed on the system, unlike the more feature rich installer version of Adguard.

Adguard extension for example has a nice list of lists options to enable. its CPU and RAM usage, seems to be only slightly higher than uBlock O based on my less than 1 hour usage now.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Perhaps somewhere in the thread confusion was raised. Adguard in the poll is the extension which does not need to be installed on the system, unlike the more feature rich installer version of Adguard.

Adguard extension for example has a nice list of lists options to enable. its CPU and RAM usage, seems to be only slightly higher than uBlock O based on my less than 1 hour usage now.
Ok, then the Poll should mention AdGuard Extension instead of AdGuard.

AdGuard Extension seems good too but for me uBlock Origin is the go to ads blocker.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Perhaps somewhere in the thread confusion was raised. Adguard in the poll is the extension which does not need to be installed on the system, unlike the more feature rich installer version of Adguard..
Yes. From my point of view it was fairly clear it was the Adguard extension in the poll as all the others were extensions. I thought it was worth mentioning my experiences with the full version of Adguard though as I think uBlock Origin even beats it too, when all factors such as user friendliness are considered. I should have added that I haven't used the Adguard extension.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have now spent a good 15 mins fixing an issue with uBlock O. Pages were not rendering properly or would automatically closed. Disabling the 2 TM scripts netted the same result.
Reverting to Adguard Extension first, issues solved. Re-enabling TM scripts, still working fine.

At this stage, I can safely say uBlock O is either buggy or too aggressive for at least my taste. It is slightly lighter than Adguard extension but nevertheless, overall performance in my opinion goes to Adguard.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have now spent a good 15 mins fixing an issue with uBlock O. Pages were not rendering properly or would automatically closed. Disabling the 2 TM scripts netted the same result.
Reverting to Adguard Extension first, issues solved. Re-enabling TM scripts, still working fine.

At this stage, I can safely say uBlock O is either buggy or too aggressive for at least my taste. It is slightly lighter than Adguard extension but nevertheless, overall performance in my opinion goes to Adguard.

Thanks
uBlock Origin Defaults?

Whats TM scripts?

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
English filterVersion 1.0.79.22. Updated 12 march 2016 at 07:06.
Spyware filterVersion 1.0.5.5. Updated 11 march 2016 at 17:26.
EasyListVersion 1.0.54.20. Updated 12 march 2016 at 19:00.
EasyPrivacyVersion 1.0.54.9. Updated 12 march 2016 at 19:02.
Anti-Adblock Killer | ReekVersion 1.0.1.58. Updated 1 march 2016 at 03:05

Those I use in Adguard.
In uBlock O, Easylist, EasyPrivacy and Anti-Adblock Killer were the only ones running.

Even disabling TM uBlock still acted the same.

Nevertheless, based on most comments etc, uBlock O and Adguard extension are most recommended.

Adguard installation is running on an alternative system, that is why I use the extension on my main gaming system.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
English filterVersion 1.0.79.22. Updated 12 march 2016 at 07:06.
Spyware filterVersion 1.0.5.5. Updated 11 march 2016 at 17:26.
EasyListVersion 1.0.54.20. Updated 12 march 2016 at 19:00.
EasyPrivacyVersion 1.0.54.9. Updated 12 march 2016 at 19:02.
Anti-Adblock Killer | ReekVersion 1.0.1.58. Updated 1 march 2016 at 03:05

Those I use in Adguard.
In uBlock O, Easylist, EasyPrivacy and Anti-Adblock Killer were the only ones running.

Even disabling TM uBlock still acted the same.

Nevertheless, based on most comments etc, uBlock O and Adguard extension are most recommended.

Adguard installation is running on an alternative system, that is why I use the extension on my main gaming system.
Weird. It's funny because I was just posting in another thread how transparent and user friendly uBlock Origin is, especially with Advanced User mode enabled, making it easy to configure and troubleshoot:). It's strange how the same product can play so differently from system to system. Good luck anyway.

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
Ghostery personally i use it right now alongside uBlock ( not Origin ) but not as an adblocker.
Why do you use uBlock, not uBlock origin? After Chris Aljoudi became the owner of uBlock it didn't receive any updates, its last update was 9 months ago! Only uBlock origin by Raymond Hill still receives updates, it was last updated on March 5.

I use uBlock origin and Ghostery. uBlock origin is lighter than other adblockers, its developer and owner is trustworthy, and it works better than AdBlock plus that doesn't actually block all ads.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.