Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is now available for download

ChromeOS & Linux
41 Replies 14,509 Views
Status
Not open for further replies.
I´m a Manjaro Deepin user. For me the best distro and, for me, the best desktop. Now I want try Ubuntu, because I prefer Gnome to Unity and I love .deb
I love Debian based distros too. I'm going to check out Open SUSE tomorrow it's been a while since I've tried it. I've kept and will keep Manjaro MATE and KDE on separate partitions though. I'm going to add Mint 19 when the beta appears and I've got Ubuntu lol. Ubuntu Budgie is a nice distro too.

I can't believe how far Manjaro has come over the last couple of years. For me Manjaro is to Arch what Ubuntu is to Debian.
 
I love Debian based distros too. I'm going to check out Open SUSE tomorrow it's been a while since I've tried it. I've kept and will keep Manjaro MATE and KDE on separate partitions though. I'm going to add Mint 19 when the beta appears and I've got Ubuntu lol. Ubuntu Budgie is a nice distro too.

I can't believe how far Manjaro has come over the last couple of years. For me Manjaro is to Arch what Ubuntu is to Debian.
That´s true. (y)
I have tried Antergos, but I have never had any feeling with this distro, but Manjaro is something else. They also have a very active forum, which is important to me.
I'm looking forward to testing the new Mint Cinammon as well and... well, self-diagnosed distro-hopping. :ROFLMAO:
 
That´s true. (y)
I have tried Antergos, but I have never had any feeling with this distro, but Manjaro is something else. They also have a very active forum, which is important to me.
I'm looking forward to testing the new Mint Cinammon as well and... well, self-diagnosed distro-hopping. :ROFLMAO:
Ha ha. You can't beat the feeling of distro hopping lol. Yeah I'm really looking forward to Mint 19 and Linux Mint Debian edition 3. I think ultimately that's the Mint teams goal to fully move over to the Debian base and drop the Ubuntu base completely, although that is just my opinion.
 
Oh my god.

Last time I heard someone talk about openSUSE or I used it myself was in like 2011.

I wonder how much they changed since after around 7 years, its a long time...
I know lol. I came across an article about it today and it reminded me of a very positive experience I had with it years ago now. If memory serves me correctly it was one of the most easy and professional looking and behaving Linux installs I've ever had.
 
Oh my god.

Last time I heard someone talk about openSUSE or I used it myself was in like 2011.

I wonder how much they changed since after around 7 years, its a long time...
Well, they haven't really changed much. It's still the same boring and extremely reliable distro as ever. In my case I have a little problem with the video drivers, but it's the distro I installed on my parents' old computer.
 
Well, they haven't really changed much. It's still the same boring and extremely reliable distro as ever. In my case I have a little problem with the video drivers, but it's the distro I installed on my parents' old computer.
That's the way I see Opensuse too - boring, reliable workhorse.
 
Ha ha. You can't beat the feeling of distro hopping lol. Yeah I'm really looking forward to Mint 19 and Linux Mint Debian edition 3. I think ultimately that's the Mint teams goal to fully move over to the Debian base and drop the Ubuntu base completely, although that is just my opinion.
If the linux distros were paid distros... Uff! A healthy vice, exercises the mind and... :unsure: Yes, I'm really hooked... o_O(y)
 
I might start uploading a few videos on YouTube just to show people who have zero experience with Linux distros just how easy they are to use and show them how to install and set various distros up. To be honest, Manjaro KDE is fully ready for me after install I don't have to install 1 single bit of software. But, if I can post a few videos on YouTube hopefully I can free a few people from the chains of Microsoft. I'm just thinking basic, simple to the point videos, the kind that a person with zero experience with Linux can watch and think ' Is it really that easy, I thought it was all command line'
 
That's the way I see Opensuse too - boring, reliable workhorse.
I just had to remove OpenSUSE Tumbleweed edition due to needing a windows system i could contain... I miss it... A good ,stable, daily driver, and rolling release.

I also very much like Manjaro as well, it has been a couple years since i have last used it though, and can imagine how much it may have improved by.
 
I just had to remove OpenSUSE Tumbleweed edition due to needing a windows system i could contain... I miss it... A good ,stable, daily driver, and rolling release.

I also very much like Manjaro as well, it has been a couple years since i have last used it though, and can imagine how much it may have improved by.
I'm installing OpenSuse Tumbleweed shortly. I was going to do it tomorrow but I'm all full of geek juice now after playing around with Linux distros all day lol.

It had been a while since I'd used Manjaro too. I saw it at the number one spot on distrowatch and ended up trying a few different editions. It's really impressive how far it's come along. It's just awesome they even make LXDE look good. It's one of the fastest most responsive distros I've used and I tried the KDE, MATE and Cinnamon editions. I'm looking forward to this OpenSuse install though, like I mentioned above the last time I installed it it seemed so much more professional and well put together than some distros it really was a pleasure. Back to Manjaro - I honestly don't think the people that created it knew just how well it was going to do.
 
I just had to remove OpenSUSE Tumbleweed edition due to needing a windows system i could contain... I miss it... A good ,stable, daily driver, and rolling release.

I also very much like Manjaro as well, it has been a couple years since i have last used it though, and can imagine how much it may have improved by.
How is OpenSuse software compatibility wise? Does Chrome and VLC etc and the other main applications on most distros run well?
 
How is OpenSuse software compatibility wise? Does Chrome and VLC etc and the other main applications on most distros run well?
I ran Firefox, but at one point earlier on had Chrome installed and it worked fine then. As for VLC i can not comment as i used that laptop as a light browsing machine, every once in a while edited photos with Gimp and Dark Table, but kept installs to a minimum.
 
I ran Firefox, but at one point earlier on had Chrome installed and it worked fine then. As for VLC i can not comment as i used that laptop as a light browsing machine, every once in a while edited photos with Gimp and Dark Table, but kept installs to a minimum.
Thanks for the info. I can't see there being any problems but thought I'd check. If I like OpenSuse enough I might wipe my drive and just use that. I'm seriously thinking of just sticking to one distro on my main machine, and try other distros on my laptop. Manjaro KDE is so impressive I'm thinking of having a dedicated machine just for that. It has MS office web app's built in for people who need them too, obviously an account is required, but I thought it was a very nice touch to lure Windows users in. My main app's are Chromium, but I am starting to like Firefox more and more again, VLC, Qbittorrent, light office software and a few other bits. I can basically install Manjaro KDE, update it and it's ready to go it has everything I use or need. I hope Manjaro don't try pushing the boat out too far with their KDE edition and just stick to maintaining and refining it, although personally I can't see where it could do with any refinement.

Give it an hour and I'll be saying the same about OpenSuse lol.
 
What is going with Gentoo linux? I used to be long time user like 10+ years ago :) I spent about 20 hours to install it from stage 1.. oh old good times :)

Now i use Manjaro on laptop and no distro come close to it. packan is top and whole system is crazy fast.
 
What is going with Gentoo linux? I used to be long time user like 10+ years ago :) I spent about 20 hours to install it from stage 1.. oh old good times :)

Now i use Manjaro on laptop and no distro come close to it. packan is top and whole system is crazy fast.
Ahh good ole' Gentoo. Even Clem the main Linux Mint dev loves Gentoo.
Which edition of Manjaro are you using if you don't mind me asking?
 
KDE. I always prefered KDE, since late 90s when i started with Slackware. I tried gnome when ubuntu came out but i couldn't get used to it.

I miss Mandriva distro :( Best rpm disto ever. Suse was never on the same level as mandriva. I tried opensuse last week and i even couldn't update system, because 2 servers were offline and this is common thing acording to their forums
 
KDE. I always prefered KDE, since late 90s when i started with Slackware. I tried gnome when ubuntu came out but i couldn't get used to it.

I miss Mandriva distro :( Best rpm disto ever. Suse was never on the same level as mandriva. I tried opensuse last week and i even couldn't update system, because 2 servers were offline and this is common thing acording to their forums
I was the opposite I never liked KDE until recently and my experience with Manjaro KDE yesterday completely changed my view of KDE. I can see now that KDE is actually a very polished and mature DE and I never thought I'd say that. My favorite DE has been Cinnamon for a while now so I honestly didn't expect to like Manjaro KDE but I was literally blown away by it it's awesome isn't it. I've never tried Mandriva, isn't it still around?

Is Manjaro KDE stable as a daily driver? I've only had it installed since yesterday so any input from a current Manjaro KDE user would be much appreciated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top