HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Introduction​

These release notes for Ubuntu 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla) provide an overview of the release and document the known issues with Ubuntu and its flavours.

Support lifespan​

Ubuntu 20.10 will be supported for 9 months until July 2021. If you need Long Term Support, it is recommended you use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 449 instead.

New features in 20.10​

Updated Packages​

Linux kernel​

Ubuntu 20.10 includes the 5.8 Linux kernel. This includes numerous updates and added support since the 5.4 Linux kernel released in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Some notable examples include:

• Airtime Queue limits for better WiFi connection quality
  • Btrfs RAID1 with 3 and 4 copies and more checksum alternatives
  • USB 4 (Thunderbolt 3 protocol) support added
  • X86 Enable 5-level paging support by default
  • Intel Gen11 (Ice Lake) and Gen12 (Tiger Lake) graphics support
  • Initial support for AMD Family 19h (Zen 3)
  • Thermal pressure tracking for systems for better task placement wrt CPU core
  • XFS online repair
  • OverlayFS pairing with VirtIO-FS
  • General Notification Queue for key/keyring notification, mount changes, etc.
  • Active State Power Management (ASPM) for improved power savings of PCIe-to-PCI devices
  • Initial support for POWER10

Toolchain Upgrades​

Ubuntu 20.10 comes with refreshed state-of-the-art toolchain including new upstream releases of glibc 2.32, OpenJDK 11, rustc 1.41, GCC 10, LLVM 11, Python 3.8.6, ruby 2.7.0, php 7.4.9, perl 5.30, golang 1.13.

Security Improvements​

nftables is now the default backend for the firewall.

Ubuntu Desktop​

Ubuntu 20.10 is the first Ubuntu release to feature desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 4

GNOME
Ubuntu 20.10 includes the latest version of GNOME, version 3.38, with an enhanced Activities Overview, User Experience improvements, better performance, and more.​

Updated Applications​

• Firefox version 81
  • LibreOffice version 7.0.2
  • Thunderbird version 78.3.2

Updated Subsystems​

• BlueZ 5.55
  • NetworkManager 1.26.2

More info read

Download here

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
ubuntu.png

Reactions: ANNOx
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I will give Kubuntu 20.10 a spin. I was hoping it would come with plasma 5.20, but ot didn't work out timing wise. I'm hoping they will add it to their backports ppa. So far I've installed Pop_OS! 20.10 and really like it!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I will give Kubuntu 20.10 a spin. I was hoping it would come with plasma 5.20, but ot didn't work out timing wise. I'm hoping they will add it to their backports ppa. So far I've installed Pop_OS! 20.10 and really like it!
Backports ppa for Plasma depends on the Ubuntu base system. They won't push a plasma update through the ppa if it is incompatible with the base system, which is why we couldn't get 5.19 until now.

"KDE Neon users can upgrade to Plasma 5.20 from today. The Kubuntu Backports PPA could find the release packaged up for Kubuntu 20.10, Qt dependency providing."

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.