IntroductionThese release notes for Ubuntu 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla) provide an overview of the release and document the known issues with Ubuntu and its flavours.
Support lifespanUbuntu 20.10 will be supported for 9 months until July 2021. If you need Long Term Support, it is recommended you use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 449 instead.
New features in 20.10
Linux kernelUbuntu 20.10 includes the 5.8 Linux kernel. This includes numerous updates and added support since the 5.4 Linux kernel released in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Some notable examples include:
- Airtime Queue limits for better WiFi connection quality
- Btrfs RAID1 with 3 and 4 copies and more checksum alternatives
- USB 4 (Thunderbolt 3 protocol) support added
- X86 Enable 5-level paging support by default
- Intel Gen11 (Ice Lake) and Gen12 (Tiger Lake) graphics support
- Initial support for AMD Family 19h (Zen 3)
- Thermal pressure tracking for systems for better task placement wrt CPU core
- XFS online repair
- OverlayFS pairing with VirtIO-FS
- General Notification Queue for key/keyring notification, mount changes, etc.
- Active State Power Management (ASPM) for improved power savings of PCIe-to-PCI devices
- Initial support for POWER10
Toolchain UpgradesUbuntu 20.10 comes with refreshed state-of-the-art toolchain including new upstream releases of glibc 2.32, OpenJDK 11, rustc 1.41, GCC 10, LLVM 11, Python 3.8.6, ruby 2.7.0, php 7.4.9, perl 5.30, golang 1.13.
Security Improvementsnftables is now the default backend for the firewall.
Ubuntu DesktopUbuntu 20.10 is the first Ubuntu release to feature desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 4
Ubuntu 20.10 includes the latest version of GNOME, version 3.38, with an enhanced Activities Overview, User Experience improvements, better performance, and more.
- Firefox version 81
- LibreOffice version 7.0.2
- Thunderbird version 78.3.2
- BlueZ 5.55
- NetworkManager 1.26.2
More info read
Groovy Gorilla Release Notes Introduction These release notes for Ubuntu 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla) provide an overview of the release and document the known issues with Ubuntu and its flavours. Support lifespan Ubuntu 20.10 will be supported for 9 months until July 2021. If you need Long Term...