Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
ClamAV/Manual
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
FireFox
Maintenance tools
Using terminal commands for such tasks/needs.
File and Photo backup
TimeShift
System recovery
TimeShift
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
  • Asus ZenBook
  • Core i5 / 7th Gen
  • Intel / Onboard
  • 16GB
  • M2 + SSD

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Interesting setup, rarely see Linux users :)

Which distro are you in? Do you use the latest version? Have you tweaked Firefox for extra privacy? There are also plenty extensions for Firefox that could help you reduce tracking, canvas fingerprinting, ads and malvertising :) (check uBlock, Canvas Defender, Ghostery or similar)

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Its about 10 years that I am not using Windows :D

I have macOS and Linux.

I am using Elementary OS (ubuntu) (Latest version). and for firefox apart from Avira Browser Safety and Ghostry what would you recommend (I already have these two) ?

I am also blocking all incoming connection using firewall and enable it for specific connections when its needed.

Are you using Linux too?

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Its about 10 years that I am not using Windows :D

I have macOS and Linux.

I am using Elementary OS (ubuntu) (Latest version). and for firefox apart from Avira Browser Safety and Ghostry what would you recommend (I already have these two) ?

I am also blocking all incoming connection using firewall and enable it for specific connections when its needed.

Are you using Linux too?
Due to work reasons, my main enviroment runs Windows 10. Nevertheless, my secondary laptop runs Ubuntu LTS with a couple of desktop customization.

I would suggest you equip Firefox this way:

1572384004711.png

1572384060870.png

1572384083606.png
I suggest you install this security extension instead of Avira. And set it up like this:
1572384211997.png

I believe this should suffice for Firefox in Ubuntu :)

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Oh Thanks alot. I did not know that uBlock covers many more trackers compared to Ghostry!

Before Avira I was using BD Traffic light but the problem was that I had many tabs (as usual) open and it was slowing down my browser drastically to the point that I removed it and replaced it with Avira.

But now I am gonna replace the ghostry with uBlock.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Installed both. Firejail seems to be something like Jails in FreeBSD which I am huge fan of. Thanks alot for the recommendation.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.