Advice Request Uninstaller Alternative?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Revo Free version works very well. It also has an uninstaller tool for unwanted MS apps which I think works better than the MS uninstall. Revo has other tools too for cleaning junk files and clearing your browser history, things like that. Hibit is a very good tool as well but you have to really pay attention to it, it is so thorough that it can take out apps and files you don't want removed if you don't watch what it is doing. I had that happen twice with Hibit.

C.H.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I currently use Hibit, have used Revo a lot in the past and have tried Bulk Crap Uninstaller. Its a very close thing IMO as to which is the best out of Revo and Hibit, both of which I like more than Bulk Crap Uninstaller, much of that is down to simple personal preference, rather than the latter is not so good. I have noticed occasional leftovers with all three, even ones that were supposedly going to be removed after a reboot, but this is not a common occurrence in my experience. As noted above it is important to check the list of files set for removal.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I currently use Hibit, have used Revo a lot in the past and have tried Bulk Crap Uninstaller. Its a very close thing IMO as to which is the best out of Revo and Hibit, both of which I like more than Bulk Crap Uninstaller, much of that is down to simple personal preference, rather than the latter is not so good. I have noticed occasional leftovers with all three, even ones that were supposedly going to be removed after a reboot, but this is not a common occurrence in my experience. As noted above it is important to check the list of files set for removal.
This matches my experience though I never tried Bulk Crap Uninstaller. At the end it boils down to what the user wants to uninstall. If it’s a security product, I always prefer to restore system image. Other than that, those uninstallers do the job.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
You got me interested in bulk crap uninstaller, but it has no installation monitor. So uninstalling something to use the trial period again for example won't work with it, I don't play that way. 😒

I usually use soft organizer, it's pretty good at tracking registry keys, but it often leaves little garbage, also I think sometimes it can't remove a key blocked by permissions.

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
Am I the only one who thinks these types of discussions should be based on some kind of actual data instead of just people name dropping the programs that they just happen to like for some reason?

For example, this is how I compared the most popular uninstallers last year: Windows Uninstaller Product Comparison 2022 - jv16 PowerTools Blog

Disclaimer: I'm the author of one of those products being compared, but even with that, I would argue that actually comparing the set of features and the actual uninstaller performance would be beneficial.

Also, the matter of fact is that most of these uninstaller products don't actually do anything else than just read all the registered software from the system and read their UninstallString data from the registry and then just run that uninstaller. Which is exactly the same thing Windows Settings' Programs and Features section does when you choose to uninstall something. So many of these uninstaller products are not actually doing anything else in regards of uninstallation, it's just fancy UI and bells and whistles.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Also, the matter of fact is that most of these uninstaller products don't actually do anything else than just read all the registered software from the system and read their UninstallString data from the registry and then just run that uninstaller. Which is exactly the same thing Windows Settings' Programs and Features section does when you choose to uninstall something. So many of these uninstaller products are not actually doing anything else in regards of uninstallation, it's just fancy UI and bells and whistles.
There was a test done by @jackuars a few years ago.

It would be interesting to see a comparison between current versions of jv16 PowerTools, HiBit and Revo, too see which is able to find the most leftovers.

I believe that every product mentioned in this thread does scan for leftover files and registry keys after the the software is installed. Although there are number of such programs which don't do that.

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
I'm currently working on updated version of my product and it includes a brand new, totally re-written software uninstallation engine. It will be released later this month (it's a paid product, but it comes with a fully functional trial version that you can use without restrictions other than the time limitation of 14 days).

I just wrote to my blog about the process of building a software uninstaller: Making the best uninstaller - jv16 PowerTools Blog

After the product release, there will be a new comparison test as well, probably early next month.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

I'm currently working on updated version of my product and it includes a brand new, totally re-written software uninstallation engine. It will be released later this month (it's a paid product, but it comes with a fully functional trial version that you can use without restrictions other than the time limitation of 14 days).

I just wrote to my blog about the process of building a software uninstaller: Making the best uninstaller - jv16 PowerTools Blog

After the product release, there will be a new comparison test as well, probably early next month.
Your products were always the best user experience for me.

Thank you.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Am I the only one who thinks these types of discussions should be based on some kind of actual data instead of just people name dropping the programs that they just happen to like for some reason?

For example, this is how I compared the most popular uninstallers last year: Windows Uninstaller Product Comparison 2022 - jv16 PowerTools Blog

Disclaimer: I'm the author of one of those products being compared, but even with that, I would argue that actually comparing the set of features and the actual uninstaller performance would be beneficial.

So, how does jv16 do it instead?
Or maybe i should ask, how will the new product do it?

One thing that is good with HiBit is that it has a very good junk files cleaner, so therefrore it has the upper hand to many others.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.