Question Unreliable Antivirus apps in Android

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Are Antivirus apps in Android reliable? I mean , I have seen several times due to various reasons , when AV apps in android stops working on its own in the background or maybe a part/feature of it stops working. Many a times theres even no notification saying that some part/feature of the AV has stopped. This makes me question the reliability of these apps. Suddenly say the web protection feature stops working and doesn't notify even, and I accidentally visit a malicious link then my device can get compromised.

Surprisingly I have never seen this happen in case of Windows PCs. AVs in it are completely reliable. But in Android's case seems different. Is this what everyone else feels??

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It's understandable that you have concerns about the reliability of antivirus apps on Android. While there are undoubtedly reliable and effective antivirus apps available for Android devices, it's essential to choose a reputable one from a trusted developer.

It's true that Android antivirus apps can sometimes face issues, such as stopping in the background or certain features not working as expected. These problems can arise due to various reasons, including software compatibility issues or conflicts with other apps installed on your device.

However, developers regularly release updates to fix such issues and improve the functionality of their apps. It is recommended to keep your antivirus app and your device's software up to date to ensure you have the latest protections.

Additionally, having safe browsing habits and being cautious while downloading apps or visiting websites can complement the antivirus app's capabilities in protecting your device from potential threats.

Ultimately, while antivirus apps can provide an extra layer of security, it's important to remember that no security solution is 100% foolproof, regardless of the platform.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Are Antivirus apps in Android reliable? I mean , I have seen several times due to various reasons , when AV apps in android stops working on its own in the background or maybe a part/feature of it stops working. Many a times theres even no notification saying that some part/feature of the AV has stopped. This makes me question the reliability of these apps.
Understand your concern, but without tested every single AV vendor or even a majority of Android phones and their own versions, I can bet it's Androids own battery save feature that cause the " issue " and not the AV apps.

Some AV vendors develop their products well enough as they even flag/warn about it, and inform their users that it must enforce or be edited correct in Androids settings, to avoid getting stopped. Checking the battery consumption for every app, should be possible for most phones today so it's easy to investigate if that's also a concern.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Understand your concern, but without tested every single AV vendor or even a majority of Android phones and their own versions, I can bet it's Androids own battery save feature that cause the " issue " and not the AV apps.

Some AV vendors develop their products well enough as they even flag/warn about it, and inform their users that it must enforce or be edited correct in Androids settings, to avoid getting stopped. Checking the battery consumption for every app, should be possible for most phones today so it's easy to investigate if that's also a concern.
Battery optimizations in place is one issue that causes this. But can it be said for sure that it is the only one that causes the issues?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Some manufacturers are notorious to killing apps on Android. I advise to add any Android apps that require background usage to be added to “Never sleeping apps”.

Certain apps run a permanent notification to keep the app alive 24/7.

The following settings will be available:
  • Put unused apps to sleep: If you haven’t used an app in a while, it will automatically be put to sleep.
  • Sleeping apps: Shows you all apps that are currently sleeping but may run in the background if you start to use them again.
  • Deep sleeping apps: Shows you all apps that will never run in the background. They'll only work when you open them.
  • Never sleeping apps: You can add apps that will never turn off or sleep in the background so you’ll always be able to use them.

You can add apps to the list by tapping the + sign, selecting your desired app(s), and then tapping Add. To remove apps, tap More options (the three vertical dots), and then tap Remove apps. Select the app(s) you want to delete, and then tap Remove.
Source: Manage Sleeping apps to save battery life on your Galaxy device

Last edited:

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Sophos Intercept X for Mobile is free. Has all the features + local deel learning model that is very accurate. You also get device compromise detection and url filtering.
Right info. Although my question is about something else. I didn't ask for a good AV suggestion for Android. And Sophos web filtering works a bit weirdly in newer versions of Android. And in some android phones it crashes at times.

Reactions: Sandbox Breaker

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.