UO88's Config

UO88

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 29, 2014
Bringing my config back up because I want to know some opinions. I've been helping people on a site for malware removing and protection. I post my security guide for malware prevention and a couple people disagree with me saying that my programs will cause a crash. I just wanted to clarify with other techs to be sure the people disagreeing are wrong. I believe that I am right as I use these myself and know that I am quite protected and I have no problems.

My guide is as follows.
Avast Antivirus as the main Antivirus. Then Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Secunia PSI, VooDoo Shield, HTTPS Everywhere, and an Ad blocker such as Adblock Plus or the windows host file.

I recommend this guide to people who want free protection. Does anyone disagree with any of this? The only one that I don't use is Secunia PSI and that's because Avast has this feature but I recommend it because Avast is not automatic unless you pay for the premium AV.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can read about [MUST READ] How to update your security config without creating a new thread! and remember to re-fill all required custom fields. Otherwise, you'll get an error.

I believe that Less is More. It's also dependant on the type of user behind the screen and if it's a single-use or shared computer.

A shared PC, setting up a Standard account over an Admin account is a very good method to prevent unwanted software and malware - just remember to add a password to the Admin account. This will stop Standard accounts from bypassing the UAC prompt for installing software.

If I am correct VoodooShield recommends to disable User Account Control - which I oppose regardless on what's on offer.

You may want to try / recommend Ublock, as now most known Ad-blockers have Acceptable Ads enabled by default (AdBlock, AdGuard, AdBlock Plus). Modifying the Windows Host files requires some knowledge, otherwise things can go wrong.

Adobe software provides automatic updates, so unless disabled, the users are now protected. Browsers like Chrome and Internet Explorer/Edge get automatic updates from Windows Update or Google Updater.

I haven't gone in-depth about everything on your list.

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very strong configuration only, with few considerations.

1) For backup, you may expand the process by conducting system image snapshots using built in from Windows or third party programs. So in that case reduce of possible reset from the beginning.

2) You may add a backup browser just be in case there are problem arises to your current one.

3) You may place something sensitive information like logins with password manager like Lastpass or Keepass.

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

As always use a VM or sandbox if you go to suapicious sites.

H

hjlbx

Good Config.Only one thing to add Sandboxie for phishing sites.

Sandboxie does not protect against phishing. Phishing sites are fake websites designed to fool user into entering valuable infos... like Name, user name, password, date-of-birth, credit card no., etc.

Sandboxie only contains infection in virtual sandbox. It protects physical system against persistent infection.

S

SayanQ

Some time phishing sites can infect the system by drop something malicious object so it is good to surf net in sandboxie;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@SayanQ :

Well he just meant to say the overall concept of Phishing since its categorize for data stealing. but yes a good move to have Sandboxie.

Usually its an exploit website or other shady corners commonly happened, also on my experience phishing are just phishing so no evolvement occur to victimize. ;)

Reactions: SayanQ

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.