Hot Take [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Comparison between browser extensions

Test 29/12
Q&A - [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 24/11
Q&A - [Updated 24/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 12/11
Q&A - [Updated 12/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 7/11
Q&A - [Updated 7/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 6/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 3/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 2/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test, quick 1/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Fun test 25/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 24/7/2018 (most comprehensive, as possible)
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 19/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 10/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 18/7/2018

Updated 10/7/2018

Updated 7/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 7/6/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 3/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 3/6/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 25/4/2018
Poll - [Updated 25/4/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Update: 23/3/2018
Poll - [Updated 23/3/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Browser: Google Chrome 65 x64
Malware and phishing links: 10 malc0de, 10 vxvault, 10 openphish, 10 verified phishtank, 10 unverified phishtank
Total: 50 links
Extensions: recently downloaded from Chrome Web Store
- Google Safe Browsing (built-in chrome's protection)
- AdGuard AdBlocker: default settings, uses Google Safe Browsing (delayed) and their own database
- Avira browser safety: default settings
- Norton Safe Web: default settings
- Bitdefender Trafficlight: default settings, it rarely blocks any malware links, just old ones
- Avast Online Security: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- Netcraft Extension: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- uBlock Origin with some additional filters

NOTE: the result can vary from day-to-day. Tomorrow with different links, the result can be very different. All are live links but they can be dead a few minutes after the test. No duplication

Results:
result.png

Winner: Google Safe Browsing

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Alot people dislike avira tho, even it does its job great as extension its very resource hungry. Theres many better alternatives. If its working fine for you thats okay, but you can always try something new
I use a long time Avira extesion with Opera browser. I have never had a security problem. It is one of the most stable extesion in safety performance. It's a bit heavy. But you do not need another extesion and many settings like web filters. Everything else I tried, one month is blocking well, and the other month does not blocking anything. And at google chrome only ublock and HTTPS Everywhere and brain extesion. I consider all else to be exaggerated.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Can uBlock Origin be replaced if used in the easy mode?

I never like micro managing of websites unless I have 10 or less trusted sites to surf. Hence, uBlock Origin (in medium mode), uMatrix or NoScript is not my liking.

I use uBlock Origin in easy mode and add filters/hosts. I also disabled Google Safe Browsing and Tracking Protection in FF Quantum. Won't be trusting MS/Google/FF to keep my privacy as far as their extension/Safe Browsing/Tracking Protection is concerned.

As for DNS filtering unless there's one with features like either DNSCrypt/DNS-over-HTTPS/DNS-over TLS, supports DNSSEC, fast and keeps NO log otherwise I'll take one which supports the latter features and leave the filtering to other extensions.

Now, I wonder what other extensions can be used together to replace uBO?

I'll start off with the use of Malwarebytes extension which blocks
- malicious sites
- clickbait links
- stops in-browser cryptojackers
- ads and ad trackers
- browser hijackers
- browser lockers
- phishing and online scams
- PUPs, toolbars and pop ups

What MalwareBytes cannot protect from are

- google analytics
- social media widgets
- ransomware

which can be provided by filters/hosts to uBO

Any users like to contribute other effective extensions to replace uBO? Besides those mentioned what uBO Origin (in easy mode) have that these extensions together lack?
malwareytes can protect you from ransomware and google analytics becaise they are covered in MB's lists. MB is similar to hphosts

MB can't block widget because it requires element hiding, which is only available in true adblocker like ublock and adguard, nano

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
malwareytes can protect you from ransomware and google analytics becaise they are covered in MB's lists. MB is similar to hphosts

MB can't block widget because it requires element hiding, which is only available in true adblocker like ublock and adguard, nano
Just added Disconnect which protects against
- ads
- analytics
- social
- content

TunnelBear Blocker also blocks

- ads
- browser fingerprinting
- pixel tracking (Gmail)
- social button
- microphone
- webRTC leak
- animated extension badge
and comes with malware and privacy protection as well

I think these 3 - MalwareBytes, Disconnect and TunnelBear Blocker should be adequate to replace uBO in easy mode, right

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Just added Disconnect which protects against
- ads
- analytics
- social
- content

TunnelBear Blocker also blocks

- ads
- browser fingerprinting
- pixel tracking (Gmail)
- social button
- microphone
- webRTC leak
- animated extension badge
and comes with malware and privacy protection as well

I think these 3 - MalwareBytes, Disconnect and TunnelBear Blocker should be adequate to replace uBO in easy mode, right
I don't think so. ublock alone should replace all of them if you add adequate filters
furthermore, ublock is much lighter than MB and the other 2

don't look at features they have, it's better to look at their potential

ublock just can't block fingerprint and cookie. It can do everything else

I can show you adequate filters for each category if you want

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't think so. ublock alone should replace all of them if you add adequate filters
furthermore, ublock is much lighter than MB and the other 2

don't look at features they have, it's better to look at their potential

ublock just can't block fingerprint and cookie. It can do everything else

I can show you adequate filters for each category if you want

By all means show the filters. Thanks

Can uBO prevents clickbaits?

I have ScriptSafe as well. With the items enabled in its 'Privacy Settings' it really helps a lot

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
By all means show the filters. Thanks

Can uBO prevents clickbaits?

I have ScriptSafe as well. With the items enabled in its 'Privacy Settings' it really helps a lot
I don't think any adblocker or scriptsafe can protect from clickbaits because they require analysis of titles and contents. clickbaits are not ads, trackers, malwares. They are misleading news

I think only malwarebytes can protect you from clickbaits. Some other extensions can also do it but I don't think they are effective enough

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Red: I recommend
Blue: effective but I don't use, up to you
Orange: I don't like because they are large

Ad/tracker/widget
English filter or easylist
Fanboy’s Enhanced Tracking List

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Hubird-au/Adversity/master/Adversity.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/zpacman/Blockzilla/master/Blockzilla.txt

Adguard’s Annoyance List
http://www.jabcreations.com/downloads/adblock-filters.php
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/I...k-Filters-Plus/master/uBlock-Filters-Plus.txt

optional ad/tracking:
http://1hosts.cf/
very large: https://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.txt

Malwares, ransomwares, cryptojacking, PUPs, hijacks, phishing
https://www.squidblacklist.org/downloads/dg-malicious.acl

Optional, very heavy, hphosts malwares, ransomware (emd), phishing (fsa), exploits (exp), hijack (hjk)
https://hosts-file.net/emd.txt
https://hosts-file.net/exp.txt
https://hosts-file.net/fsa.txt
https://hosts-file.net/hjk.txt

cryptojacking
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list/master/nocoin.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ZeroDot1/CoinBlockerLists/master/list.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ZeroDot1/CoinBlockerLists/master/list_optional.txt

alternative: EasyPrivacy

PUPs
https://hosts-file.net/pup.txt

ransomwares (optional)
https://ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_DOMBL.txt
https://ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_IPBL.txt
https://ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_URLBL.txt

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I forgot to mention, Malwarebytes isn't a true adblocker. It blocks domains based on hphosts with some heuristics. However, it doesn't have element hiding feature => can't hide widget and some ads
those 3 combined will never ever able to beat ublock in terms of adblocking if you have some filters I recommend in the upper post

Disconnect is useless, literally if you have good tracker filter lists. It will even block less

ublock can't block:
- browser fingerprinting
- pixel tracking (Gmail)
- microphone (you can do it yourself easily by changing the website permissions)
- clickbaits (partially)
- cookies

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I forgot to mention, Malwarebytes isn't a true adblocker. It blocks domains based on hphosts with some heuristics. However, it doesn't have element hiding feature => can't hide widget and some ads
those 3 combined will never ever able to beat ublock in terms of adblocking if you have some filters I recommend in the upper post

Disconnect is useless, literally if you have good tracker filter lists. It will even block less

ublock can't block:
- browser fingerprinting
- pixel tracking (Gmail)
- microphone (you can do it yourself easily by changing the website permissions)
- clickbaits (partially)
- cookies
I don't need any hiding element feature like in uBO for any particular site(s) for that will mean I need to micro manage that site(s). Using uBO in medium mode/uMatrix/NoScript can achieve better micro managing results

EasyPrivacy protects against session-replay scripts. It's good to have it. Oh just found that Ghostery also blocks session replay scripts

For Chrome browser I just use ScriptSafe + MalwareBytes + Ghostery + Cookie AutoDelete + Auto Overlay Remover + Keyboard Privacy + minerBlock will do. I believe they cover the needed protection as below

- ads & ad trackers
- malicious sites
- analytics
- browser fingerprinting
- social widgets
- microphone (disabled in Windows)
- webRTC leak
- cookies
- clickbait links
- browser hijackers
- browser lockers
- overlays
- redirects (setting flag in Chrome browser)
- session replay scripts (protected by Keyboard Privacy + Ghostery)

Edit
- Added Ghostery to block session replay scripts and cryptocurrency miners
- Removed Disconnect, TunnelBear Blocker and Popup Blocker (strict)

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
So for basic user pretty much ublock origin as default + pups will be enough, since most avs have their own filters?

Btw. is there any anti adblock killer that would kill twitch.tv ads? I find adguard faster than ublock, so i'd like to use that instead, nano defender blocks them well

Last edited:
Reactions: stefanos

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So for basic user pretty much ublock origin as default + pups will be enough, since most avs have their own filters?

Btw. is there any anti adblock killer that would kill twitch.tv ads? I find adguard faster than ublock, so i'd like to use that instead, nano defender blocks them well
you can tweak ublock to archive better performance by removing useless filters and adding some useful ones
by default, ublock disables DNS prefetch to increase effectiveness of adblocking (Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly), I believe adguard doesn't
disabling DNS prefetch may decrease internet speed but increase adblocking and reduce network bandwidth usage

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
you can tweak ublock to archive better performance by removing useless filters and adding some useful ones
by default, ublock disables DNS prefetch to increase effectiveness of adblocking (Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly), I believe adguard doesn't
disabling DNS prefetch may decrease internet speed but increase adblocking and reduce network bandwidth usage
Well i can avoid people to go sketchy sites with neustar family protection dns + sophos web filter . So personaly i just want to have best performance out of browser with decent adblock, im still worried about pups because those were only thing i have been got into.

Currently i have:
malwarebytes against pups
tunnelbear for ads
norton safe web

Windows defender browser protection seems lame, comparing to your test and have heavy usage. So i'd like to remove that

And do edge have any less chance to be browser hijacked than chrome do?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Well i can avoid people to go sketchy sites with neustar family protection dns + sophos web filter . So personaly i just want to have best performance out of browser with decent adblock, im still worried about pups because those were only thing i have been got into.

Currently i have:
malwarebytes against pups
tunnelbear for ads
norton safe web

Windows defender browser protection seems lame, comparing to your test and have heavy usage. So i'd like to remove that

And do edge have any less chance to be browser hijacked than chrome do?
enabling google chrome flag: appcontainer
you are safe

it's not easy for browser to get hijacked if you don't do anything wrong so don't worry

if you are still worry, use a good AV and install hphosts hjk

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Can uBlock Origin be replaced if used in the easy mode?

I never like micro managing of websites unless I have 10 or less trusted sites to surf. Hence, uBlock Origin (in medium mode), uMatrix or NoScript is not my liking.

I use uBlock Origin in easy mode and add filters/hosts. I also disabled Google Safe Browsing and Tracking Protection in FF Quantum. Won't be trusting MS/Google/FF to keep my privacy as far as their extension/Safe Browsing/Tracking Protection is concerned.

As for DNS filtering unless there's one with features like either DNSCrypt/DNS-over-HTTPS/DNS-over TLS, supports DNSSEC, fast and keeps NO log otherwise I'll take one which supports the latter features and leave the filtering to other extensions.

Now, I wonder what other extensions can be used together to replace uBO?

I'll start off with the use of Malwarebytes extension which blocks
- malicious sites
- clickbait links
- ads and ad trackers
- browser hijackers
- browser lockers

What MalwareBytes cannot protect from are

- analytics
- social media widgets
- ransomware

which can be provided by filters/hosts to uBO

Disconnect blocks
- ads
- analytics
- social
- content

Any users like to contribute other effective extensions to replace uBO? Besides those mentioned what uBO Origin (in easy mode) have that these extensions together lack?

MalwareBytes with Privacy Possum and when you use Firefox also Temporay Containers. Unless you are paranoid on privacy (which is a lost battle anyway) those three are an easy set and forget addition to your browser.

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i have netcraft, norton safe web, windows defender browser protection, tunnel bear blocker,

ublock origin with 86,000 filters, nano defender with squidblacklist,

malwarebytes with only malware/scams and ads/clickbait enabled.

i have easy list, easy privacy and no coin on opera portable. i have only windows defender.

are any of these filters redundant? thanks in advance.

Reactions: given and oldschool

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
i have netcraft, norton safe web, windows defender browser protection, tunnel bear blocker,

ublock origin with 86,000 filters, nano defender with squidblacklist,

malwarebytes with only malware/scams and ads/clickbait enabled.

i have easy list, easy privacy and no coin on opera portable. i have only windows defender.

are any of these filters redundant? thanks in advance.
Thats fine, tunnel bear works with nano defender. Just find out wich filters you really need with ublock origin, and disable rest.
Also windows defender protection is just memory hog imo, but its fine.

Been using tunnelbear for few hours now, and seems i have no use for nano defender to use with tunnelbear

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.