Hot Take [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Comparison between browser extensions

Test 29/12
Q&A - [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 24/11
Q&A - [Updated 24/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 12/11
Q&A - [Updated 12/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 7/11
Q&A - [Updated 7/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 6/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 3/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 2/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test, quick 1/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Fun test 25/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 24/7/2018 (most comprehensive, as possible)
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 19/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 10/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 18/7/2018

Updated 10/7/2018

Updated 7/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 7/6/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 3/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 3/6/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 25/4/2018
Poll - [Updated 25/4/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Update: 23/3/2018
Poll - [Updated 23/3/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Browser: Google Chrome 65 x64
Malware and phishing links: 10 malc0de, 10 vxvault, 10 openphish, 10 verified phishtank, 10 unverified phishtank
Total: 50 links
Extensions: recently downloaded from Chrome Web Store
- Google Safe Browsing (built-in chrome's protection)
- AdGuard AdBlocker: default settings, uses Google Safe Browsing (delayed) and their own database
- Avira browser safety: default settings
- Norton Safe Web: default settings
- Bitdefender Trafficlight: default settings, it rarely blocks any malware links, just old ones
- Avast Online Security: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- Netcraft Extension: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- uBlock Origin with some additional filters

NOTE: the result can vary from day-to-day. Tomorrow with different links, the result can be very different. All are live links but they can be dead a few minutes after the test. No duplication

Results:
result.png

Winner: Google Safe Browsing

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I used to run Bitdefender Trafficlight (BTL)

But.... Evjl's Rain's fine testing indicated that BTL is useless. And that's my experience with it too.

Norton Safe Web (NSW) has been coming up lame in recent testing (with a history of being one of the best apps for malware).

On Chrome, the old Norton toolbar is going away. And NSW is a standalone Google app now.

Now that the Norton team can again focus on the app capability itself...

I wonder... now that NSW has transitioned away from the Norton toolbar, will it return to being a strong capability?

We shall see..

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I have no idea about the future development of the products because these vendors are quite conservative. I don't expect them to do something extraordinary

I only recommend WDBP and malwarebytes
- WDBP: useful, almost no resource usage
- malwarebytes: the most powerful, acceptable resource usage

comodo: not strong against new links, vxvault list for ublock should do better

Hello Evjl's Rain,

It seems that you were correct about the recent Windows Defender Browser Protection browser extension for Chrome update probably being a minor update, the developers added changelog notes that says:

• V1.65 – Added “Report Suspicious Site” feature, and ability to demonstrate the extension’s protection

-John Jr

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Hello Evjl's Rain,

It seems that you were correct about the recent Windows Defender Browser Protection browser extension for Chrome update probably being a minor update, the developers added changelog notes that says:

-John Jr
Blocking times of WDBP is faster than netcraft/ forticlient

But im feeling forticlient taking 6mb of memory is lighter than any browser extension
WDBP isnt bad at all, better than nothing and as we see 200k+ downloads on that extension is protecting alot people because of microsoft being familiar corporation

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Blocking times of WDBP is faster than netcraft/ forticlient

But im feeling forticlient taking 6mb of memory is lighter than any browser extension
WDBP isnt bad at all, better than nothing and as we see 200k+ downloads on that extension is protecting alot people because of microsoft being familiar corporation

Hello Moonhorse,

I did not know that, thank you for sharing that.

I wish that Forticlient had a browser extension too.

I hope to see WDBP improve and be available for other browsers as well.

Thank you for responding,
-John Jr

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain
I hope you will continue to test all kind of web protection tools!
Please just don't care about disagree comments here...
I will consider that :emoji_ok_hand:
but it seems to me that most users have their answers already, they will end up using their AV only for webfilter with browser protection
some use malwarebytes, some use WDBP, a few use netcraft
not many people care about other tools such as avira, norton

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
I will consider that :emoji_ok_hand:
but it seems to me that most users have their answers already, they will end up using their AV only for webfilter with browser protection
some use malwarebytes, some use WDBP, a few use netcraft
not many people care about other tools such as avira, norton
Evjl's Rain don't care about any opinion said here.Personally i want to thank you about your tests and also your comments here, was very helpful and lessons to me.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
As we saw a fall of norton extension lately, i dont think these tests are useless. Most of forum members like me dont have resources to do that kind of testing or have access on malware hub. Like having 6 tests on a year or every two months some kind of detail how these extensions are competing will be helpful since it will show how well they are performing overall / long term

@Evjl's Rain take care, but remember youre very respected person here on mt, and you have plenty of followers to take care of your back:sneaky: keep going(y)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
As we saw a fall of norton extension lately, i dont think these tests are useless. Most of forum members like me dont have resources to do that kind of testing or have access on malware hub. Like having 6 tests on a year or every two months some kind of detail how these extensions are competing will be helpful since it will show how well they are performing overall / long term

@Evjl's Rain take care, but remember youre very respected person here on mt, and you have plenty of followers to take care of your back:sneaky: keep going(y)
Couldn't have said it better....
Really like @Evjl's Rain testing here!

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
thank you all for your comments :)
I will return asap when I find some interesting ideas to test
so far, I have no idea what to test because you probably have the answers for almost everything
Is the behaviour blocker of AVG much weaker than avast has? AVG has defense mode, but cant configure that. Just wondering would the Malware hub results be different at all when using SH+OSA+AVG Free against SH+OSA+AVAST Free

Since it seems AVG is pop-up free, its huge benefit when installing on family members/old peoples pc because they wont be confused about ' your system is running slow, upgrade to internet security' messages

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Is the behaviour blocker of AVG much weaker than avast has? AVG has defense mode, but cant configure that. Just wondering would the Malware hub results be different at all when using SH+OSA+AVG Free against SH+OSA+AVAST Free

Since it seems AVG is pop-up free, its huge benefit when installing on family members/old peoples pc because they wont be confused about ' your system is running slow, upgrade to internet security' messages
same protection, same engine. Only have not the option for hardener mode

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

same protection, same engine. Only have not the option for hardener mode

AVG - the best option from Spyvast! :LOL: Many options to harden.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.