Hot Take [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Comparison between browser extensions

Test 29/12
Q&A - [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 24/11
Q&A - [Updated 24/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 12/11
Q&A - [Updated 12/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 7/11
Q&A - [Updated 7/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 6/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 3/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 2/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test, quick 1/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Fun test 25/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 24/7/2018 (most comprehensive, as possible)
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 19/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 10/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 18/7/2018

Updated 10/7/2018

Updated 7/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 7/6/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 3/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 3/6/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 25/4/2018
Poll - [Updated 25/4/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Update: 23/3/2018
Poll - [Updated 23/3/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Browser: Google Chrome 65 x64
Malware and phishing links: 10 malc0de, 10 vxvault, 10 openphish, 10 verified phishtank, 10 unverified phishtank
Total: 50 links
Extensions: recently downloaded from Chrome Web Store
- Google Safe Browsing (built-in chrome's protection)
- AdGuard AdBlocker: default settings, uses Google Safe Browsing (delayed) and their own database
- Avira browser safety: default settings
- Norton Safe Web: default settings
- Bitdefender Trafficlight: default settings, it rarely blocks any malware links, just old ones
- Avast Online Security: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- Netcraft Extension: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- uBlock Origin with some additional filters

NOTE: the result can vary from day-to-day. Tomorrow with different links, the result can be very different. All are live links but they can be dead a few minutes after the test. No duplication

Results:
result.png

Winner: Google Safe Browsing

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Weird, i tested the links in Firefox with Trafficlight and none of them are blocked. But in Brave they are. :unsure:
Edit: I have to open them two times to be detected in firefox :confused:
Had the same problem with Edge Dev. TrafficLight not working reliable for me...

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
They both "scored" 0/10. I did not include adguard, because it is not really designed to block malware and as for 9.9.9.9, it is hardly worth testing.

Thank you @TairikuOkami , I am surprised and disappointed that they both did so poorly, I wonder why Quad9 DNS is doing so badly with all of those partnerships that they have and why do you think they are not worth testing?

Thank you,
-John Jr

Reactions: [correlate]

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I wonder why Quad9 DNS is doing so badly with all of those partnerships that they have
The problem with DNS blocking is, that it blocks domains, not just links, so if it is too good, too aggressive, it breaks legitimate webpages as well.
Quad9 has a non-censored alternative (9.9.9.10), but also no DNSSEC, they do not propagate it much, because they focus on the main 9.9.9.9.
Adguard already blocks too much, because of ad blocking, it is not really a practical DNS for a normal browsing, you can not add exceptions.
Neustar in comparison has a variety to choose from, so if something gets blocked, customers can not blame it on them, it is clearly stated.
Neustar also blocks warez, that includes some streaming services, both legitimate and not, so common user would generally do not like it.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
The problem with DNS blocking is, that it blocks domains, not just links, so if it is too good, too aggressive, it breaks legitimate webpages as well.
Quad9 has a non-censored alternative (9.9.9.10), but also no DNSSEC, they do not propagate it much, because they focus on the main 9.9.9.9.
Adguard already blocks too much, because of ad blocking, it is not really a practical DNS for a normal browsing, you can not add exceptions.
Neustar in comparison has a variety to choose from, so if something gets blocked, customers can not blame it on them, it is clearly stated.
Neustar also blocks warez, that includes some streaming services, both legitimate and not, so common user would generally do not like it.

Thank you for answering that @TairikuOkami .

-John Jr

Reactions: [correlate]

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Anyone using Norton safe web ? extension is available in Microsoft store for Edge dev chromium ... and any privacy concerns ?
Would that be a good replacement for BDTL , or should we not worry about BDTL privacy ? i see many other vendors do the same
thx
norton safe web has been weak for a year
they focus on developing cloud engine rather than web protection

emsisoft was brilliant for a while but recently, it has been extremely weak

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I see Trafficlight got an update to 3.0.8 and it kicks in like before, i just tried it and it responds first and than Edge dev smartscreen.
Thanks. Yes, TrafficlLight works as before with version 3.0.8 (y)
When it blocks before SmartScreen it also prevent for example cookies being set by the blocked site, unlike with a block from SmartScreen.
That kind of explains why I saw Ziggo Safe Online still blocking network traffic when a site was blocked by SmartScreen.
SmartScreen doesn't completely prevent a page from loading, it reacts when a page is loading.

Last edited:

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Windows Defender Browser Protection is an extension for Google Chrome, but its inside Edge chromium and smartscreen...
I've added WDBP to Edge (Chromium).
So, is WDBP exactly the same as MDSS?
WDBP seems to react before MDSS.
Both all cloud?
Yes, MDSS blocks mal downloads.
Just wondering whether they use same database?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
So, is WDBP exactly the same as MDSS?
WDBP seems to react before MDSS.
Both all cloud?
Yes, MDSS blocks mal downloads.
Just wondering whether they use same database?

They are similar, but not the same. The extensions react first I believe, which explains your experience. There is no point in keeping WDBP. Add BDTL if you want additional protection, e.g. it may catch phishing sites that SS misses.

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
They are similar, but not the same. The extensions react first I believe, which explains your experience. There is no point in keeping WDBP. Add BDTL if you want additional protection, e.g. it may catch phishing sites that SS misses.

Hi @oldschool,

Appreciate you input, I believe MDSS is only on Windows OS (Please do correct me if I'm wrong).
So for users of alternative OS (E.g. Linux, ChromeOS) do you believe WDBP is still relevant?

Thanks. :cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.