Hot Take [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Comparison between browser extensions

Test 29/12
Q&A - [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 24/11
Q&A - [Updated 24/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 12/11
Q&A - [Updated 12/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 7/11
Q&A - [Updated 7/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 6/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 3/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 2/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test, quick 1/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Fun test 25/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 24/7/2018 (most comprehensive, as possible)
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 19/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 10/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 18/7/2018

Updated 10/7/2018

Updated 7/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 7/6/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 3/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 3/6/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 25/4/2018
Poll - [Updated 25/4/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Update: 23/3/2018
Poll - [Updated 23/3/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Browser: Google Chrome 65 x64
Malware and phishing links: 10 malc0de, 10 vxvault, 10 openphish, 10 verified phishtank, 10 unverified phishtank
Total: 50 links
Extensions: recently downloaded from Chrome Web Store
- Google Safe Browsing (built-in chrome's protection)
- AdGuard AdBlocker: default settings, uses Google Safe Browsing (delayed) and their own database
- Avira browser safety: default settings
- Norton Safe Web: default settings
- Bitdefender Trafficlight: default settings, it rarely blocks any malware links, just old ones
- Avast Online Security: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- Netcraft Extension: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- uBlock Origin with some additional filters

NOTE: the result can vary from day-to-day. Tomorrow with different links, the result can be very different. All are live links but they can be dead a few minutes after the test. No duplication

Results:
result.png

Winner: Google Safe Browsing

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Points scored here for Kaspersky and Netcraft:

pesus

Dec 4, 2018
I did my own testing. 15 fresh malware serving sites using edge(chromium) browser and browser extensions

edge(chromium)smartscreen/wd browser protection13/15
symantec norton safe web 7/15
bitdefender trafficlight15/15(y)
blocksi(default settings)12/15
avira browser safety 3/15
avast online security 7/15
mcaffe webadvisor 0/15
comodo online security pro 4/15
malwarebytes browser guard11/15
google safe browsing12/15

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
BDL seems to work , but does anyone remember when Fabian said that they transmit all the websites you visit in clear text, not encrypted at all? So if Fabian doesn't like it I;m not going there at all.
I'm sure someone will be able to find the post on the Emsisoft Forum but I do have the image saved:
Bitdefender TL.png

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
BDL seems to work , but does anyone remember when Fabian said that they transmit all the websites you visit in clear text, not encrypted at all? So if Fabian doesn't like it I;m not going there at all.
I found a post on Bitdefender forum :

Bitdefender TrafficLight monitors the HTTP traffic and sends the URL links to our labs for analysis purposes. If you access a malicious website, TrafficLight will detect it and will block it.
The content of a web page is scanned (read), but TrafficLight doesn't collect passwords, phone numbers or credit card information.
Rest assured that Bitdefender monitors data only to protect your computer against malicious attacks. You can find more information about data collection in the End User License Agreement

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Any browser guard extensions that play nice with Netcraft and uBlock?

You mean uBlock Origin.... right?

Yes, most of them do.

As our uBO expert Oldschool stated, TrafficLight plays with both of them. And it's effective lately.

I slightly prefer MBG -- and it works well with both of them.

On this particular computer I'm on, I'm experimentally running all of them... and more.

But that's overkill. I don't recommend it.

1575337643251.png

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
You mean uBlock Origin.... right?

Yes, most of them do.

As our uBO expert Oldschool stated, TrafficLight plays with both of them. And it's effective lately.

I slightly prefer MBG -- and it works well with both of them.

On this particular computer I'm on, I'm experimentally running all of them... and more.

But that's overkill. I don't recommend it.

View attachment 230427
Burritos are best when they have extras.

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
Thanks guys for your recommendations. I'll try BDTL and Netcraft as both Emsisoft Browser Security and Malwarebytes Browser Guard don't play nice with Netcraft. Just curious here, I'm using First Party Isolation extension and questioning if I should have set firefox to "block third party cookies" or "cross-site and social media trackers" in the Options/Privacy and Security. This is the description - First Party Isolation, also known as Cross-Origin Identifier Unlinkability is a concept from the Tor Browser. The idea is to key every source of browser identification with the domain in the URL bar (the first party). This makes all access to identifiers distinct between usage in the website itself and through third-party. Think of it as blocking Third-party cookies, but more exhaustively. Here are Firefox's implementation details about First Party Isolation.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks guys for your recommendations. I'll try BDTL and Netcraft as both Emsisoft Browser Security and Malwarebytes Browser Guard don't play nice with Netcraft. Just curious here, I'm using First Party Isolation extension and questioning if I should have set firefox to "block third party cookies" or "cross-site and social media trackers" in the Options/Privacy and Security. This is the description - First Party Isolation, also known as Cross-Origin Identifier Unlinkability is a concept from the Tor Browser. The idea is to key every source of browser identification with the domain in the URL bar (the first party). This makes all access to identifiers distinct between usage in the website itself and through third-party. Think of it as blocking Third-party cookies, but more exhaustively. Here are Firefox's implementation details about First Party Isolation.
I really like BDTL and WDBP because they are light and efficient, especially BD
with this combo + google chrome, my AV (WiseVector) has had very little work to do because almost everything was stopped in the browser before they could touch my harddrive
I have been using this combo + ublock for at least 1 year. They've never conflicted

Honestly, I don't like Netcraft because it's only good at blocking phishing (I don't need) and some extra protection modules which I don't really need, too (XSS, malicious scripts,...)

by the way, the more flags you enable, the more issues you could get just because flags are experimental features
I realized recently that "Override software rendering list" and "GPU rasterization " (many people recommend enabling them) made youtube on my chrome much laggier than it used to be in the past (new version of youtube). It seems the new youtube doesn't play nice with these 2 flags. After disabling them, I noticed an immediate boost in youtube responsiveness

your flags might cause unexpected problems. They may be stable in this version of chrome but in the next version, they may not. They can also cause conflicts with extensions

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
You don't need to use an extension for First Party Isolation. Just enable "privacy.firstparty.isolate" in about:config. I have it enabled and also block all third party cookies and you can do the same if you want. No issues here.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

blocking phishing (I don't need) and some extra protection modules which I don't really need, too (XSS, malicious scripts,...)
Those are exactly what everyone need the most...
Extensions blocking malicious sites are useless, those sites (the really malicious ones) rarely stay more than few hours, the time the extension vendor get the signature, the site is already gone...
However malicious scripts and XSS embedded in compromised legit sites are the most dangerous especially when coupled with fileless malwares.

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
Well thanks guys! I just eliminated First Party Isolation, Privacy Possum, Netcraft @ uMatrix. I've been using Pale Moon forever and have been away from all the latest/greatest add-ons as Stale Moon doesn't support anything anymore, so I decided to come back to Firefox as my default browser and to re-acquaint myself with what I've been missing out on. Now that Netcraft is out of the picture what do you think of Emsisoft Browser Security and Bluehell Firewall? I'm just playing with options here for now, but will definitely try BDTL and uBlock.

Reactions: oldschool

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
Thanks Umbra! You gots me thinkin mabie I should re-enable uMatrix with Windows Security config and keep Emsisoft Browser Security with its phishing blocking capilabilities.

I eliminated Privacy Possum cause I've blocked third party cookies in firefox and enabled "privacy.firstparty.isolate" in about:config. As far as uMatrix is concerned I'm looking for a less complicated set up so to speak. So is BDTL very intrusive? Is it a bandwidth hog like WOT was?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I eliminated Privacy Possum cause I've blocked third party cookies in firefox and enabled "privacy.firstparty.isolate" in about:config. As far as uMatrix is concerned I'm looking for a less complicated set up so to speak. So is BDTL very intrusive? Is it a bandwidth hog like WOT was?
uMatrix can be tricky to deal with at first so I understand but keep Privacy Possum. It does more than blocking trackers. Privacy Badger is the one that usually blocks trackers only but Privacy Possum does more. BDTL blocks phishing and malicious links and is very light so you should be fine. It used to block trackers too but I'm not seeing that in the latest version which is good.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.