Huawei
Model
P20 Pro
Operating System
Android
OS Version
Pie 9
Security Patch Level (Security Update)
EMUI version 9.1.0.328. Includes updated Android Security patch : August 5, 2019.
2-Step Verification For Your Google or Apple Account
Enabled
Screen Lock Type (Unlock Device)
Basic 4-digit PIN
Biometrics (Unlock Device)
None
Notifications - When Device Is Locked
Hide sensitive information when device is locked
Google Play Protect
Enabled
Find My Phone
On
Install Unknown Apps (Unknown Sources)
Disabled
Developer Mode
Disabled
SIM Card Lock
Enable
Real-Time Protection
F-Secure SAFE
RTP - Custom security settings
  • Minor changes for Increased security
  • RTP - Details of Custom security settings
    Enabled F-Secures SAFEs own Finder feature that includes " Find my unit ", same as Googles Find My Phone. Play Alarm Sound. Lock Screen and Clean Device. Available on My F-Secure.
    Browser and Extensions
    Opera with built-in ad blocker.
    Content Filtering
    SAFE.
    Mobile VPN
    F-Secure Freedome
    VPN Usage
    Always connected to VPN
    Data Backup
    Huaweis automatic built-in backup and Huaweis tool HiSuite.

Frequency of Data backups
    Always-on Sync
    Other Important Apps
    Microsoft Authenticator and QR Code Reader, as the phones built-in QR feature is not able to block/stop automatic redirections.

upnorth

Level 35
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    Was fiddling with my phone and it's QR code scanner software and checked some links when I finally found a way to make another browser then Chrome the default. It's a setting in Android and not in the browser. Can't say for sure the path is exactly the same on all Android phones, but it should be something very similar.

Settings/Apps/Apps/Chrome/Default Settings and click on " Clean Default Settings ". Open a link/url and one should get a window with the installed browsers and just click on the preferred and on the button " Always ". Go back to Settings/Apps/Default Apps/Browser and in my case it says, Opera. Final check made with the QR scanners and it now works flawless. ✌🤞

Nortons QR code scanner has sadly been removed from the Play Store.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 47
    Verified
    Content Creator
    To prevent WiFi Hotspot Tracking have you tried either

WiFi Privacy Police

or

WiFi Manager

I could not find the feature in my HW Mate 20X phone. I have these features inside my Samsung Galaxy Fold like

Turn on WiFi automatically when you are in places you use it frequently and turn it off elsewhere, and

Detect suspicious activity in current WiFi network

Note :- You can ignore the above apps if the feature is included in other app you are having

Reading materials

upnorth

Level 35
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    To prevent WiFi Hotspot Tracking have you tried either

WiFi Privacy Police

or

WiFi Manager
    You raising some very good points and questions IMO.

Haven't tried anyone of those two and probably is because I'm on a pretty good VPN 24/7 with a dedicated Kill-switch as one layer against unknown and malicious re-directions. When it comes to so called Hotspots I rarely connect/use them anyway. Those that I trust enough is automatic saved anyway in the list for Saved Network. I also in general don't have the need as my " Mobile network " through 4G is working well enough.

I understand the risk of possible getting hacked through Hotspots but, personal I consider the major SS7 issue far more concerning and especially Google Playstores constant plethora of malicious apps. Probably a much higher risk.
    I could not find the feature in my HW Mate 20X phone. I have these features inside my Samsung Galaxy Fold like

Turn on WiFi automatically when you are in places you use it frequently and turn it off elsewhere, and

Detect suspicious activity in current WiFi network
    I actually have that on my P20 Pro. It's called Wi-Fi+ and I can turn it on or off. It has 3 specific unchangeable default features. Automatic change between Wi-Fi and mobile data. Activate Wi-Fi automatic for known networks. Validate network quality.

Detect suspicious activity, I need to trust that my VPN would take care off with it's Kill-switch.

HarborFront

Level 47
    Verified
    Content Creator
    You raising some very good points and questions IMO.

Haven't tried anyone of those two and probably is because I'm on a pretty good VPN 24/7 with a dedicated Kill-switch as one layer against unknown and malicious re-directions. When it comes to so called Hotspots I rarely connect/use them anyway. Those that I trust enough is automatic saved anyway in the list for Saved Network. I also in general don't have the need as my " Mobile network " through 4G is working well enough.

I understand the risk of possible getting hacked through Hotspots but, personal I consider the major SS7 issue far more concerning and especially Google Playstores constant plethora of malicious apps. Probably a much higher risk.

I actually have that on my P20 Pro. It's called Wi-Fi+ and I can turn it on or off. It has 3 specific unchangeable default features. Automatic change between Wi-Fi and mobile data. Activate Wi-Fi automatic for known networks. Validate network quality.

Detect suspicious activity, I need to trust that my VPN would take care off with it's Kill-switch.
    OK found the WiFi+ now. However, just to have the 3 default features you mentioned, requires the WiFi+ to be enabled to automatically switch between WiFi and mobile data to stay online which increases battery usage

Thanks

Last edited:

upnorth

Level 35
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    If it wasn't for guys like @silversurfer and a great note from member @boutthatlife , I probably missed out an actual very easy bug fix as I still haven't got the latest security update from Google. 😤

Androids Beam service is now disabled or as on my phone it's named, Huawei Beam.

Last edited: