Protected by a PIN code
Find my Phone
On
Security & Privacy Apps
F-Secure SAFE
Browser
Opera with built-in ad blocker.
File and Photo backup
Huaweis automatic built-in backup and Huaweis tool HiSuite.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Was fiddling with my phone and it's QR code scanner software and checked some links when I finally found a way to make another browser then Chrome the default. It's a setting in Android and not in the browser. Can't say for sure the path is exactly the same on all Android phones, but it should be something very similar.

Settings/Apps/Apps/Chrome/Default Settings and click on " Clean Default Settings ". Open a link/url and one should get a window with the installed browsers and just click on the preferred and on the button " Always ". Go back to Settings/Apps/Default Apps/Browser and in my case it says, Opera. Final check made with the QR scanners and it now works flawless. ✌🤞

Nortons QR code scanner has sadly been removed from the Play Store.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
To prevent WiFi Hotspot Tracking have you tried either

WiFi Privacy Police

or

WiFi Manager

I could not find the feature in my HW Mate 20X phone. I have these features inside my Samsung Galaxy Fold like

Turn on WiFi automatically when you are in places you use it frequently and turn it off elsewhere, and

Detect suspicious activity in current WiFi network

Note :- You can ignore the above apps if the feature is included in other app you are having

Reading materials

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
To prevent WiFi Hotspot Tracking have you tried either

WiFi Privacy Police

or

WiFi Manager
You raising some very good points and questions IMO.

Haven't tried anyone of those two and probably is because I'm on a pretty good VPN 24/7 with a dedicated Kill-switch as one layer against unknown and malicious re-directions. When it comes to so called Hotspots I rarely connect/use them anyway. Those that I trust enough is automatic saved anyway in the list for Saved Network. I also in general don't have the need as my " Mobile network " through 4G is working well enough.

I understand the risk of possible getting hacked through Hotspots but, personal I consider the major SS7 issue far more concerning and especially Google Playstores constant plethora of malicious apps. Probably a much higher risk.
I could not find the feature in my HW Mate 20X phone. I have these features inside my Samsung Galaxy Fold like

Turn on WiFi automatically when you are in places you use it frequently and turn it off elsewhere, and

Detect suspicious activity in current WiFi network
I actually have that on my P20 Pro. It's called Wi-Fi+ and I can turn it on or off. It has 3 specific unchangeable default features. Automatic change between Wi-Fi and mobile data. Activate Wi-Fi automatic for known networks. Validate network quality.

Detect suspicious activity, I need to trust that my VPN would take care off with it's Kill-switch.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You raising some very good points and questions IMO.

Haven't tried anyone of those two and probably is because I'm on a pretty good VPN 24/7 with a dedicated Kill-switch as one layer against unknown and malicious re-directions. When it comes to so called Hotspots I rarely connect/use them anyway. Those that I trust enough is automatic saved anyway in the list for Saved Network. I also in general don't have the need as my " Mobile network " through 4G is working well enough.

I understand the risk of possible getting hacked through Hotspots but, personal I consider the major SS7 issue far more concerning and especially Google Playstores constant plethora of malicious apps. Probably a much higher risk.

I actually have that on my P20 Pro. It's called Wi-Fi+ and I can turn it on or off. It has 3 specific unchangeable default features. Automatic change between Wi-Fi and mobile data. Activate Wi-Fi automatic for known networks. Validate network quality.

Detect suspicious activity, I need to trust that my VPN would take care off with it's Kill-switch.
OK found the WiFi+ now. However, just to have the 3 default features you mentioned, requires the WiFi+ to be enabled to automatically switch between WiFi and mobile data to stay online which increases battery usage

Thanks

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
If it wasn't for guys like @silversurfer and a great note from member @boutthatlife , I probably missed out an actual very easy bug fix as I still haven't got the latest security update from Google. 😤

Androids Beam service is now disabled or as on my phone it's named, Huawei Beam.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Updated to EMUI version 9.1.0.370.

Includes updated Android Security patch : November 1, 2019
I doubt I will get any more updates this year.

EMUI 10 ( Android 10 ) is hopefully released to P20 Pro Q1.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.