Advice Request Using COMODO Firewall as a default-deny security software

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you like this COMODO concept?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
TheMalwareMaster, comodo maybe back in 2005 (more or less) was very simple app. Hips was perfect. Right now it's better to disable containment, or disable hips. Back in 2012 i set comodo to block everything unknown because i had to share my PC with 8 years old daughter (When she was 6 years and 6 months old I taught her how to use Sandboxie, how to react in comodo and Avira's alerts). Comodo blocked some trojans without damage to my computer (without antivirus installed).

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
If you disable cloud look up (cloud scan), I think geek buddy prompt will stop. CMIIW
If I disable cloud lookup, keep the original trusted vendors list and I try to run the installer for a new chrome version, that will be blocked or allowed?

Reactions: AtlBo

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
Geek buddy? Try this: settings (leave only ,,show notification messages", unchek other things). And when you see geekbudy look for ,,do not show alerts". Maybe that will help? I don't remeber the last time i saw this alert. Maybe last year?

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Geek buddy? Try this: settings (leave only ,,show notification messages", unchek other things). And when you see geekbudy look for ,,do not show alerts". Maybe that will help? I don't remeber the last time i saw this alert. Maybe last year?
I have only selected "show notification messages" and I disabled the messages from COMODO message centre, but I still see geekbuddy. Maybe one is forced to tick the option "do not show again" in the notification

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
In the end, is the cloud lookup needed for something or it can just cause troubles for whitelisted malware?

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
In the end, is the cloud lookup needed for something or it can just cause troubles for whitelisted malware?

Cloud database is more update than Newest AV database. AV database will catch up Cloud database in next update. (I have confirmed it in Comodo forum)

Cloud Scan is for protect user between each interval of AV Database update.

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Cloud database is more update than Newest AV Signature. AV Signature will catch up Cloud Signature in next update. (I have confirmed in Comodo forum)

Cloud Scan is for protect user between each interval of AV Database update.
Yes, but I'm running comodo firewall, so I don't have the local AV database, but only the default-deny sandbox and the cloud scanner. I was asking if the cloud was really needed for something

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
If you have the cloud lookup disabled and you try to install a product present in the trusted vendors list, COMODO won't block it. Can you link me some safe unsigned software?

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
You can try this : Как подготовить лог SecurityCheck by glax24 This tool is used in safezone and Kaspersky forums to check for missing updates. I used that file yesterday. Comodo autocontainment isolated securitychek. After i unblocked it, firewall gave me alert. I let it go to internet. After all job done, i removed it from file ratings. Cloud Was enabled. Today i launched it, and it was blocked by comodo. That means, cloud isn't working???

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I have never used torrents, but I know utorrent is bundled with a lot of junk.
I installed utorrent in my VM, without unticking anything (as a beginner would do)
-Cloud lookup enabled: only an EXE is blocked during installation. In the end, I have ByteFence antimalware installed, a PUP detected by malwarebytes. But that can be easily uninstalled
-Cloud lookup disabled: some scripts are blocked and, in the end, I have no PUPs installed

Reactions: Bombus and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Can you link me some safe unsigned software?

If Ignatu or Elaborate Bytes aren't in the TVL those are a couple of apps Ive been using for years in SmartPower and Virtual Clone. I can link one of them if you don't see the dev in the vendor list. Not sure I think they are both seen as unsigned.

EDIT actually I think Virtual Clone is signed but not Smart Power.

Reactions: TheMalwareMaster

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
I installed utorrent in my VM, without unticking anything (as a beginner would do)
-Cloud lookup enabled: only an EXE is blocked during installation. In the end, I have ByteFence antimalware installed, a PUP detected by malwarebytes. But that can be easily uninstalled
-Cloud lookup disabled: some scripts are blocked and, in the end, I have no PUPs installed
Do you mean, that ByteFence was installed into computer? It didn' go to autocontainment?

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016

Can we conclude that Cloud Already whitelist Bytefence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.