Advice Request Using COMODO Firewall as a default-deny security software

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you like this COMODO concept?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I'm doing some testing on my VM. Why to delete trusted vendors also? Probably because they pay for being added, and some unwanted programs may be allowed to run this way?

Clean up the trusted vendors list, only auto-allow vendors you have running on your PC (including Microsoft third party and supported hardware)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
-Cloud lookup disabled: some scripts are blocked and, in the end, I have no PUPs installed

General question scripts brings to mind. Curious if you have enabled all the heuristic command-line detection protections (and embedded)? There is basically no cost to this. I recommend it, although it might mean a rare alert. Just something that you might like for strengthening the setup. For me, it's a fallback should containment fail somehow or should I run malware uncontained by mistake For you, not sure if it helps with default deny but I don't see how it could hurt.

-Cloud lookup disabled: some scripts are blocked and, in the end, I have no PUPs installed

Sounds like Comodo needs to work on their whitelisting more than I realized. If @Maxwell Sien is right about the whitelisting, Comodo is almost pushing users to turn off Cloud Lookup by whitelisting that kind of program. :(

Clean up the trusted vendors list, only auto-allow vendors you have running on your PC (including Microsoft third party and supported hardware)

Well, this is what I did, but would this work well for @TheMalwareMaster since he is creating a template for new users?

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
Right now i installed (in Comodo virtual desktop) ByteFence. It's rebranded version of Reason core. It scanned and found nothing. bytefence is Pua, but, thanks God, not fake antivirus. It didn't detect eicar viruses. I dowloaded bitconminer Anketa for Iphone.doc.exe (virustotal 47/63). I was unnabled to launch on virtual desktop it because comodo autocontaiment blocked it in real system (i had 96 intrusions and 7 blocked apps and 2 unrecognized files) - by the way, no alerts from real system (i was in full screen mode) So, bytefence at least is very bad, weak antimalware. I removed Bytefence and reason from trusted vendors list and from file ratings.

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Curious if you have enabled all the heuristic command-line detection protections (and embedded)?
How can I check that? Are they enabled bu default? I spent a lot of time in the settings and I think they were enabled by default

Reactions: AtlBo

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Yeah, I was looking for a solution to recommend to the guys who ask me for Windows XP. VoodooShield doesn't work anymore on XP, so there we are: comodo! I can't remove the trusted vendors considering each user has different programs

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
How can I check that? Are they enabled bu default? I spent a lot of time in the settings and I think they were enabled by default

Advanced Protection->Miscellaneous->"Do heuristic command-line analysis for..." Click on "Certain Applications". You can enable them all no problems. Some of them were disabled for me with the previous two updates from Comodo. I reenabled them.

Reactions: TheMalwareMaster

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Utorrent installation
No security: Bytefece and Avast installed
default.PNG

Comodo with cloud lookup and trusted vendors list: an EXE is blocked. Only Bytefence installed
default1.PNG default2.PNG

Comodo with cloud lookup disabled and default trusted vendors list: two scripts blocked and no bundled programs installed. Utorrent opens with an error
default3.PNG default4.PNG default5.PNG default6.PNG

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Advanced Protection->Miscellaneous->"Do heuristic command-line analysis for..." Click on "Certain Applications". You can enable them all no problems. Some of them were disabled for me with the previous two updates from Comodo. I reenabled them.
Yeah, some of them were disabled. Guess why COMODO did that

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
AtlBo, question: if HIPS is disabled, what sens to go to ,,Advanced Protection->Miscellaneous->"Do heuristic command-line analysis for..." Click on "Certain Applications". ? Because it is called,, Hips to perform analyz TheMalwareMaster, did you enabled HIPS or disabled it?

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
That did it @AtlBo
Cloud lookup and trusted vendors on, with all option selected in command line analysis: A lot of command lines were bloked (I don't show all in the photos) and, in the end, no bundled programs. Why the bundled programs were blocked, this time?
HIPS were Always off
blocked.PNG blocked1.PNG blocked2.PNG blocked3.PNG blocked4.PNGblocked5.PNG

Reactions: ZeroDay

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
Virus total 1 out of 63 (detected by malwarebtes). Maybe its like enigma software?

General question scripts brings to mind. Curious if you have enabled all the heuristic command-line detection protections (and embedded)? There is basically no cost to this. I recommend it, although it might mean a rare alert. Just something that you might like for strengthening the setup. For me, it's a fallback should containment fail somehow or should I run malware uncontained by mistake For you, not sure if it helps with default deny but I don't see how it could hurt.

Sounds like Comodo needs to work on their whitelisting more than I realized. If @Maxwell Sien is right about the whitelisting, Comodo is almost pushing users to turn off Cloud Lookup by whitelisting that kind of program. :(

Well, this is what I did, but would this work well for @TheMalwareMaster since he is creating a template for new users?

But there many legit programs that are bundled with other legit (free) programs. Similar to UC Browser, Baidu AntiVirus, Chromium, some User Install it on Purpose, some user get it with bundled.

AntiMalware (like MBAM and Zemana) are more aggresive than AntiVirus in blacklist a PUP, maybe because AntiVirus focus on Prevent and AntiMalware focus on cleaning.

In case of PUP, we can't trust AntiVirus 100%. Only User can know what program is installed on purpose and what program is install with Bundled. AntiVirus just can detect a possibility. That's why we need HIPS because it based on user decision.

@TheMalwareMaster, can you send Utorrent installer file to us that contain ByteFence? I just downloded it from official but not bundled with ByteFence. I want to test how HIPS React with this situation.

Last edited:

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
TheMalwareMaster, if you have some time, you can play a game with Comodo: creat a file test.doc.exe . Upload it to some filesharing service. Open comodo, enable Hips. Go to hips setting-to blocked objects. browse to any file and rename it *.doc.exe .Save changes. After that try to download your text file. It shoud be blocked by..... Comodo hips without alerts. Or you can go to rghost search for Анкета доставки iPhone.doc.exe In this way you can add all kind of staff *.pdf.exe, *.jpg.exe. *.doc.vbs etc. I had a list of about 20 possibe variants. I disabled HIPS, so this list won't help to me.

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
That did it @AtlBo
Cloud lookup and trusted vendors on, with all option selected in command line analysis: A lot of command lines were bloked (I don't show all in the photos) and, in the end, no bundled programs. Why the bundled programs were blocked, this time?
HIPS were Always off
View attachment 159042 View attachment 159043 View attachment 159044 View attachment 159045 View attachment 159046View attachment 159047
Maybe you can see all blocking activities here: Manage Blocked Items, Blocked Applications, Comodo Internet Security | COMODO

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
What are these? Last lines of firewall settings. Is it Worth enabling them? firewalls.PNG

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
HIPS blocked the bundled programs without alert, even if they were set to alert. Here is the utorrent file @Maxwell Sien
uTorrent.exe

Thank you

What are these? Last lines of firewall settings. Is it Worth enabling them? View attachment 159050

You can find it here: General Firewall Settings, PC Firewall, Firewall Protection | Internet Security

As far I know, Enable anti-ARP spoofing is for prevent Net Cut Attack in Wireless Connection..

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Last config for maximum security. Tell me if it can still be improved, test it in a virtual machine please. Cloud lookup is off but trusted vendors are on because it's not for a particular system, but for all COMODO - Maximum Security.cfgx

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.