Advice Request Using Dedicated Anti-Ransomware Software

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which (If any) of these Anti-Ransomware software are you Currently using?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Tried WAR and MBARW before, not having encountered a Ransomware in the wild I ditched both and stick to my traditional security SBIE and AG which protect me from my own ignorance, in conjunction with HMP.A and ZAL(still haven't decide which one to removed)..

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
On my Laptop 1 : AG + NVT ERP* + SD + S'Boxie; all personal files /folders are kept in External drive. Infected? Just reformat. :D
On "Chromebook-like" Laptop 2 : BD Free + NVT ERP*
On my sis laptop : BD Free only.
On my Mum's laptop : NVT ERP* + ZAL
On my relative's laptop: EIS/EAM + NVT ERP*

*NVT ERP always in lock-down lode.

So far only EIS/EAM and BD Free were used. Other than that I don't really fancy of using it. NVT ERP is more than enough for me.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
I have a paid license for WinAntiransom and i 'd really like to use it, but i can't, because it has a known bug, where if you want to protect something in a hard disk other than C:, it pretends that it does so, but in reality you are completely unprotected.

Since for the devs, this isn't a priority 1 bug (it's not that important if you think you have protection while in reality you have zero), the bug was acknowledged in June 13, but remains unfixed:

http://www.landzdown.com/winantiransom/war-won't-run/15/

So my vote goes to: "
have used one or more of those listed, but not currently (please specify)"

So instead, i use Secure Folders as an alternative.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I use Voodooshield as first line of defense to block the nasties running in the first place, but if they get past that, then Hitman Pro.Alert should stop the exploit, or if it can't, then at least it's Cryptoprotect feature should protect my files. Quite a few shoulds i know, but nothing is 100% certain.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I like Marks choice's, I too employ the combo of VS & HitManPro Alert
I have found it to be lite on my system and the best config "to date" for those
opting for a signature-less config. I have W.A.R installed as well as SBGuard
but they are not actively running.

Harlequin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
I usually don't keep anything sensitive on my two working machines for too long. All data is stored in 6 unplugged (most of the time) USB hard drives therefore even if it ever happens within 10 minutes max, I can restore my system. I also think that my AV and specially Sandboxie with tight restrictions would be very difficult to bypass, and when I decide to access potentially dangerous websites I usually add Shadow Defender... In the past I used to have all sorts of dedicated software which made my computers prone to conflicts and slowdowns, nowadays I prefer to keep things relatively simple, system speed is my first priority...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
None at all cause my backup software is ready to recover anytime at all.

I will go to the strong program based like SecureAplus, Voodoshield or others

The fully concept of anti-ransomware is so simple that can be ineffective immediately.

D

Deleted member 2913

I think its not necessary.

I like to keep it simple & light. So Kaspersky Internet Security, uBlock Origin, Unchecky & AX64/FlashBack. If these fail, external backup is there.

With Kaspersky, you can protect folder/data But haven't tried that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.