Using Google as default search engine causes Edge Chromium to crash

TheBlueCreeper512

Level 2
Thread author
May 14, 2020
According to several posts on Reddit and my own experience, those that are using Google as the default search engine on Edge Chromium will cause it to immediately crash once you try to type something into the address bar. The Edge Dev Team is currently investigating but they have issued a temporary workaround:
  • Go to edge://settings/search
  • Disable "Show me search and site suggestions using my typed characters".
This affects both the Windows and macOS versions of Edge Chromium.

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
I've used Firefox since back when it was called Phoenix. I use Edge these days more and more since the new version based on Chromium came out. It's come a long way. But I don't use Google very often. I've grown fond of DuckDuckGo.

Reactions: Dave Russo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.