Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft Edge Support: Improved copy and paste of URLs in Microsoft Edge

Configure settings
edge://settings/shareCopyPaste

Microsoft Edge is previewing an improved way to copy and paste paste web URLs from the address bar into your content. This feature copies and pastes a URL as a hyperlinked title instead of as a web address.

1606341677976.png

Works in Edge v87 stable.

This is very similar to how Safari on macOS pastes copied links.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
"Improved" ??? I hate this and had no knowledge that it had been switched on without my involvement. What a mess... I've been sharing links without the "https://" as a work around before I discovered the setting to disable this "improvement". Maybe I'm the only complainer... old habits die hard.

This is very similar to how Safari on macOS pastes copied links.

Hahahaha... that's the last thing I want my Win box to emulate :(

As well, the download feature seems to have recently changed. Instead of just pointing to a folder for the download destination, I have an extra click to decide between save as or open ... or choose an unchanging destination,

I've been going through all my Edge settings looking for other improvements foisted on me without consent. The Edge suck is getting tiresome. I'm wavering between Chrome and Firefox...

Reactions: oldschool

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Complain all you want. No ones listening. LOL

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
How to Stop Microsoft Edge from Pasting Page Titles Instead of URLs
Microsoft Edge is a very solid browser, but it does have a few quirks you might not like. One example is the weird way that Edge will display the title of a page when pasting a link instead of the URLs.

How Edge’s “Link” Copy and Paste Feature Works

This “feature” was introduced in Edge 87 for Windows and Edge 88 for macOS. Here’s what happens if you’re unfamiliar. Say that you copy the URL from the How-To Geek homepage and paste it somewhere.

You want to see: How-To Geek

But this is what Edge displays: How-To Geek – We Explain Technology (howtogeek.com)

Annoying, right? The good news is that it’s easy to fix this, and we’ll show you how to do it.

How to Make Edge Paste Plain URLs

First, open the Edge web browser in Windows, Mac, or Linux and click the three-dot menu icon in the top-right corner, and then select “Settings.”

From the Edge settings, select “Share, Copy, and Paste” from the sidebar menu.

Then, for “URL copy & paste format default,” select the “Plain Text” option. To take it a step further, toggle the switch on for “Use the format selected above when copying links within web pages.”

That’s all there is to it! URLs will be pasted exactly as they appear in the address bar. This is a strange thing for Edge to do, but at least it’s easy to revert.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.