Shadow Defender
Exclusions set to
c:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\
c:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\
c:\programdata\Kaspersky Lab\
c:\users\<username>\Appdata\Roaming\utorrent\

Backup and Imaging
Paragon Backup and Recovery Compact 2012

Do you guys think i should Add/Remove something?

Note
In Shadow Mode Emsisoft is always disabled (from services.exe)
i enable it only when in Normal Mode although very rarely, just to perform system scan or when i am installing a new software

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Question..
You have in your On-Demand tools that you have
EAM Paid
MBAM Pro
Avast Free 7

Are these protecting your system? (ex. realtime) As for Avast, is it in compatibility mode?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nice to see another Sandboxie user. :) What are your settings in Avira, when it comes to the your heuristics level?

Anyway, here though are some of my recommendations. :)

Browsers Plugins :
This are a few plugins that will make your live more easy and comfortable:

On-Demand scanners :

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
raxa707 said:
solid config but comodo 6 firewall is out.....
I know that Comodo Firewall v6 is already out,
however i had to revert back to v5.12 for the following reasons
1)Google chrome did not work, even Comodo Dragon didn't work when firewall was active
2)Confusing interface
3)The new features weren't of much use to me so the decision to rollback was easier
softwareFREEk said:
have you got a VPN?
I don't think i need one
3link9 said:
Question..
You have in your On-Demand tools that you have
EAM Paid
MBAM Pro
Avast Free 7

Are these protecting your system? (ex. realtime) As for Avast, is it in compatibility mode?
Only Avira is realtime (in Shadow Mode)
when i want to install something in the "Normal Mode" i turn on Emsisoft AntiMalware Real Time Modules and Avira

if some software is untrusted, i scan it using the On_demand scanners and run it in Sandboxie for 2-3 days, with Comodo Firewall and Defense + set to Paranoid for the duration, so that i get Granular control over program behavior and Learn its validity
after the Sandboxed period if i find the application to be trustworthy, i delete the Sandbox contents and re-install the software with Comodo FW and D+ set to "Safe Mode"/ "Learning Mode"

Avast is Installed in Compatibility Mode and is only used On-Demand
EAM is used both in Freeware Mode(When System is Shadowed) and Real Time Mode (when System is Unshadowed)

McLovin said:
Nice to see another Sandboxie user. :) What are your settings in Avira, when it comes to the your heuristics level?

Anyway, here though are some of my recommendations. :)

Browsers Plugins :
This are a few plugins that will make your live more easy and comfortable:

On-Demand scanners :

Avira Heuristics settings have been set to high
Archive scanning recursion depth set to 20
Scan all files and Archive (On-Demand scan) and also for Rootkits
Scan only files in File extension List (Real-Time)

Thanks for the recommendations :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
VectorFool said:

Very nice to see, it's on high, only thing is I bet you get a few FP? Last time I set Avira to high I got a couple, not much though. Also good to see that the Archive scanning set to 20. :)

Apart from what I recommended I think your set. :)

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
I don't get many false positives, because i make it a point to always download things from reputed sites like (softpedia) and use Private Trackers with strict quality control
the last FP i got was some 6 months ago. :p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
VectorFool said:
I don't get many false positives, because i make it a point to always download things from reputed sites like (softpedia) and use Private Trackers with strict quality control
the last FP i got was some 6 months ago. :p

I see, well that's a good habit to stay in. :)

P

Plexx

I will be honest. It is an overkill on On Demand scanners. EAM and MBAM are enough to pair it with Avira. No need to include avast! in compatibility mode. Chances of avast picking what Avira, MBAM and EAM didn't are close to less than 10%, thus taking space unnecessary.

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
McLovin said:
VectorFool said:

Very nice to see, it's on high, only thing is I bet you get a few FP? Last time I set Avira to high I got a couple, not much though. Also good to see that the Archive scanning set to 20. :)

Apart from what I recommended I think your set. :)

Biozfear said:
I will be honest. It is an overkill on On Demand scanners. EAM and MBAM are enough to pair it with Avira. No need to include avast! in compatibility mode. Chances of avast picking what Avira, MBAM and EAM didn't are close to less than 10%, thus taking space unnecessary.

Well an overkill of On_demand Scanner doesn't hurt as long as they don't leave any processes running in background which take up RAM and CPU cycles un-necessarily
its for this reason i disable the processes i don't need (using services.exe) or set them to Manual startup
Compared to a minimal setup i.e. Avira+Comodo, my full blown setup takes up 1.2GB of extra space in the System Drive.
so even though its an overkill of sorts, i can still use the setup without any penalties ;)

P

Plexx

VectorFool said:
Well an overkill of On_demand Scanner doesn't hurt as long as they don't leave any processes running in background which take up RAM and CPU cycles un-necessarily
its for this reason i disable the processes i don't need (using services.exe) or set them to Manual startup
Compared to a minimal setup i.e. Avira+Comodo, my full blown setup takes up 1.2GB of extra space in the System Drive.
so even though its an overkill of sorts, i can still use the setup without any penalties ;)

When I refer to overkill, I am referring to being obsolete. Sure you would still use avast but then again, you are more likely to find nothing that MBAM and EAM have found already.

Just my opinion since you asked for our opinion.

Nevertheless if it works for you, stick with it.

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
Biozfear said:
VectorFool said:

When I refer to overkill, I am referring to being obsolete. Sure you would still use avast but then again, you are more likely to find nothing that MBAM and EAM have found already.

Just my opinion since you asked for our opinion.

Nevertheless if it works for you, stick with it.

Following Biozfear's suggestion i removed Avast as i concur with his point
i've activated Emsisoft AntiMalware and set the service to "Manual" in Services.exe

Which means, My PC is now being protected only by Avira,
but in case i need to bring out the big guns, i just need to start it using a simple shortcut and voila i would have Avira and Emsi Mamutu both working real-time.
Average RAM usage on idle has dropped to 0.94GB and also a 400MB increase in system space :D

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Nice & Simple Configuration. Good to see using EAM v7. Is EAM in RealTime protection.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Unknown said:
Nice & Simple Configuration. Good to see using EAM v7. Is EAM in RealTime protection.

Please read his previous /see: last/ post.

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
Nige_40 said:
softwareFREEk said:
have you got a VPN?

It is a change to see that > have you got a VPN? It was normally do you have a back-up :D
lol i do have a VPN or use proxies sometimes to access websites not normally available, but i don't use them day to day, only rarely.
And yes i do have a clean Backup/Image of my System Drive which i revert back to in case i notice something wrong with my PC.
The original Backup was created in March 2011 and the latest just over a week ago :p

P

Plexx

@OP: out of curiosity, any reason for the switch from Paragon Backup and Recovery that you used to use to Compact 2012?

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
Biozfear said:
@OP: out of curiosity, any reason for the switch from Paragon Backup and Recovery that you used to use to Compact 2012?

Paragon Backup and Recovery Free has been my constant companion for 3 years and contains everything i could need i.e. Imaging and Restore
and the rest of the features (Differential Backup, Partition Mount etc) i don't really use them.
But the Backup and Recovery Compact Edition is superior to the Free Version, and has some newer features like Partition Management, more features available in Live USB etc.

B&R Compact is closer to the B&R Home in terms of features and is available for free

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.