VectorFool's Security Config

P

Plexx

VectorFool said:
Paragon Backup and Recovery Free has been my constant companion for 3 years and contains everything i could need i.e. Imaging and Restore
and the rest of the features (Differential Backup, Partition Mount etc) i don't really use them.
But the Backup and Recovery Compact Edition is superior to the Free Version, and has some newer features like Partition Management, more features available in Live USB etc.

B&R Compact is closer to the B&R Home in terms of features and is available for free

I have previously seen your post in Wilders and the mention of 3 years thats why I asked.

I only briefly used Compact Edition but didn't see the need for the additional features, so I kept the Free version.

Thanks for the answer. It is good to find users using Paragon tho, since majority use Macrium Reflect (that I know including RL friends).

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
Was feeling adventurous
so i made a few changes to my system

1)Took a backup of my system drive using Paragon B&R Compact
2)Uninstalled Avira Antivirus Premium 2013 and Comodo Firewall v6
3)Installed Kaspersky AV 2013(trial) and Comodo FW v6 (Chiron's config)
4)Updated Shadow Defender exclusion list

P

Plexx

Real-time Protection: Kaspersky Antivirus 2013
Emsisoft AntiMalware Paid v7
Comodo Firewall v6

For this I would give KIS 2013 a try first without Comodo Firewall.

KIS with some tweaks offers decent protection (search in MT forums the guide of 2012 by Jack, which can be mostly applied to 2013 should you wish to configure it further than stock settings).

Beware however that KIS/KAV whilst doing scans I/O is a bit high. RAM spikes are visible even when on idle. (Note that this was observed on the systems I tried 2013).

Some claim that the Automatic Exploit Prevention is a good addition to Kaspersky. Unfortunately I have been able to test it properly, so its something you should keep an eye out:)

If you are keen to give KIS a try instead, their 2 way firewall is quite decent. They also have the rollback feature similar to WSA, which in a nutshell:
Should your system gets infected by an unknown malware, Kaspersky's System Watcher should detect the behavior, thus allowing the user to rollback the unwanted changes/activities.

In short to go for KIS over KAV is mainly the 2 modules above described.

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
Biozfear said:
Real-time Protection: Kaspersky Antivirus 2013
Emsisoft AntiMalware Paid v7
Comodo Firewall v6

For this I would give KIS 2013 a try first without Comodo Firewall.
actually i am too comfortable with Comodo to try anything else,
but i will surely try KIS next week
KIS with some tweaks offers decent protection (search in MT forums the guide of 2012 by Jack, which can be mostly applied to 2013 should you wish to configure it further than stock settings).
i am gonna look for those tweaks now,
i always thought that the firewalls included in security suites to be weaker when compared to Comodo or Online Armor
maybe this has changed in recent years

Beware however that KIS/KAV whilst doing scans I/O is a bit high. RAM spikes are visible even when on idle. (Note that this was observed on the systems I tried 2013).
i haven't yet run a full scan yet as the KAV is still updating itself at a snail's pace
the speeds it is updating at is about 1/12th of my actual network speed
any idea how to make the updates faster?
should i choose an update server manually?

Some claim that the Automatic Exploit Prevention is a good addition to Kaspersky. Unfortunately I have been able to test it properly, so its something you should keep an eye out:)
KAV has the Exploit prevention function

If you are keen to give KIS a try instead, their 2 way firewall is quite decent. They also have the rollback feature similar to WSA, which in a nutshell:
Should your system gets infected by an unknown malware, Kaspersky's System Watcher should detect the behavior, thus allowing the user to rollback the unwanted changes/activities.
the Rollback system is present in KAV 2013, its not exclusive to KIS i guess
In short to go for KIS over KAV is mainly the 2 modules above described.

Thanks for the detailed input Biozfear :D

P

Plexx

KAV and KIS have EP. What I was saying was that I wasn't able to do enough tests to monitor how good/bad this "system"/module is.

I could swear however that the Rollback system was present on IS onwards and not on AV version only. Could you cross check?

Kaspersky firewall is actually good. Sure Comodo along with all modules offers a very good protection but Kaspersky is not far behind.

As for updates, unfortunately, I had bad and good experience with it. Sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's slow. I believe Tom is using Kaspersky so perhaps he could give you some input, or Jack since he used it for awhile as well.

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
I was having a myriad of problems/bugs with my Bitdefender Antivirus Plus, thankfully all of them were solved by Bitdefender tech support, so here i am back with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus.

Removed Kaspersky Internet Security, Emsisoft AntiMalware,

Installed Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013, Comodo Firewall v6

Installed Sandboxie x64 (paid) and Comodo Dragon
running Internet Explorer 10, Comodo Dragon, Sumatra PDF, CdisplayEX, VLC media player, USB drives on forced Sandbox Defaultbox.

Installed CCleaner with CCenhancer and System Ninja for maintenance and Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro , Revo Uninstaller Pro

VectorFool

Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2012
MrExplorer said:
Nice, Better than last Config.
What is CCEnhancer?

http://singularlabs.com/software/ccenhancer/
ccenhancer adds almost 900 new entries for CCleaner to clean

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
VectorFool said:
MrExplorer said:
Nice, Better than last Config.
What is CCEnhancer?

http://singularlabs.com/software/ccenhancer/
ccenhancer adds almost 900 new entries for CCleaner to clean

Is it Passed by Piriform as safe software

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Earth said:
You can optionally enable Enhanced Protected Mode from the Internet Options in IE10.

He can do that but will work only when running unsandboxed. When running IE under Sandboxie, SBIE disables it to avoid problems.

Bo

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
You are using Comodo Firewall v6. SO why using the SandBoxie. & Nice Combo you are using.

Only 1 Con in this Combo:
Very Large size updates of the BD.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.