Advice Request Very Odd Adguard For Windows problem

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I have a fully licensed version of AdGuard for Windows, and I've been having some issues with uBo and thought I might want to try something else. Enter AdGuard. However, after installing AG and installing the https cert, I've begun to have some weird problems with Waterfox that I was not having before installing AG. I'm hoping someone can help me understand why. The below message appears all the time now, and there's no reason to because I am not running out of space on my disk.

1.png

Also Bitwarden, the Firefox extension, locks itself constantly when it's not supposed to. I have it set to lock every 10 minutes, but not it locks itself 1 second after becoming unlocked. I can't find the reason for these two issues. The both started today, after installing AdGuard for Windows, and I don't think that's a coincidence. Anyone know how I might solve these problems?

Thanks

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Maybe do a backup first and try a clean browser/adguard install for testing. If it's not working you can try their github. For me they seem to answer there in ok time.
For me Adguard 7.9 works on FF 97.0.1

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Now after the problems you are also facing with uBlock it might be related to the browser itself. I've never used Waterfox but maybe you won't experience those issues with Firefox?
IMO the best advice given (y)(y)(y)

@n8chavez

Waterfox targets websurfers who want to get the last drop of performance out of their CPU. Do you know that the W3C governs and advices on standards across different webbrowsers. Yes AMD, ARM and Intel chips have different mechanisms of trying to get a competitive advantage over the other CPU makers. But the W3C tries to govern over the accepted standards of different (mainstream) browsers. The W3C usually takes a (Google dominated) middle of the road approach to minimize the impact of the hardware it runs on. I would be very interested in the actual (measured) performance difference between Firefox and Waterfox on desktop hardware. This is the only way to figure out whether using a niche browser is worth the hassle you have been experiencing lately.

Question to @Jack What about adding "IMO best advice" to the possible like buttons (or is +reputation intended for that?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
You're not the only one who noticed that something is wrong, strange things is happening with the latest version of Adguard (7.9), in the Windows version I can no longer set "use Adguard as HTTP proxy", at first restart, app not working anymore and enter in a constantly loop crash. Initially I thought something in the YOGADNS, H_C or KSCF settings was blocking something but the problem remained constant even after deactivation/uninstallation. Just info, on another pc with same software installed and same settings but previous version ( 7.8) of Adguard, everything works correctly. And Adguard for Android started to behave strangely, with the same settings and filters everything loads very slow, sites without images, incompletely loaded....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Now after the problems you are also facing with uBlock it might be related to the browser itself. I've never used Waterfox but maybe you won't experience those issues with Firefox?
I doubt it's related to Waterfox. It almost has to be AdGuard, simply because when I stopped AdGuard and its service both of those problems stooped. Given that, it's highly unlikely that the issue is Waterfox.

You're not the only one who noticed that something is wrong, strange things is happening with the latest version of Adguard (7.9), in the Windows version I can no longer set "use Adguard as HTTP proxy", at first restart, app not working anymore and enter in a constantly loop crash. Initially I thought something in the YOGADNS, H_C or KSCF settings was blocking something but the problem remained constant even after deactivation/uninstallation. Just info, on another pc with same software installed and same settings but previous version ( 7.8) of Adguard, everything works correctly. And Adguard for Android started to behave strangely, with the same settings and filters everything loads very slow, sites without images, incompletely loaded....

As weird as this sounds, good. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have unexplained issues with AdGuard 7.9.

IMO the best advice given (y)(y)(y)

@n8chavez

Waterfox targets websurfers who want to get the last drop of performance out of their CPU. Do you know that the W3C governs and advices on standards across different webbrowsers. Yes AMD, ARM and Intel chips have different mechanisms of trying to get a competitive advantage over the other CPU makers. But the W3C tries to govern over the accepted standards of different (mainstream) browsers. The W3C usually takes a (Google dominated) middle of the road approach to minimize the impact of the hardware it runs on. I would be very interested in the actual (measured) performance difference between Firefox and Waterfox on desktop hardware. This is the only way to figure out whether using a niche browser is worth the hassle you have been experiencing lately.

Question to @Jack What about adding "IMO best advice" to the possible like buttons (or is +reputation intended for that?)

Not true. I'm running G4, not classic. The only reason I run waterfox is because it eliminates telemetry. Mozilla has been getting more and more data needy in the last three major versions, and I don't like that. This is still true even after tweaking about:config settings. If I wanted a browser that sends data home I'd use Chrome.

Reactions: Kongo and cryogent
Upvote 0

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
View attachment 264617

My bad, you are right can't be Waterfox, they found the perfect balance.

I know you're making fun of me, but what if the issue is AdGuard? Three issues tell me it is; The issues stop when AdGuard is not running, the issues occur on FF 97.01, and now there are other who report hinky things happening with AdGuard 7.9. I'm sure that's all coincidence though, right?

Reactions: Kongo
Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I know you're making fun of me, but what if the issue is AdGuard? Three issues tell me it is; The issues stop when AdGuard is not running, the issues occur on FF 97.01, and now there are other who report hinky things happening with AdGuard 7.9. I'm sure that's all coincidence though, right?
Nobody is making fun of you, but I never saw anybody using Waterfox on MT and never saw anybody with the same issue either... So it might be related to Waterfox.

Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
As I said before, I have done that. The problem is still there. It cannot be waterfox.
Would be interested in your Security Config. On the one hand for easier troubleshooting and just out of curiosity on the other hand. Will be easier to find potential software conflicts etc. if we get a complete picture of your system. (y)

Upvote 0

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Would be interested in your Security Config. On the one hand for easier troubleshooting and just out of curiosity on the other hand. Will be easier to find potential software conflicts etc. if we get a complete picture of your system. (y)

Good idea. I just need to have the time to create the config post. I'll try today after work.

Ok. I think I've done everything. See it here.

Upvote 0

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Anyone using adguard for desktop? My filters arent updated for 2 days, changed to nightly, it started working but once again its 1 day without updates..?

Seems i have to downgrade to 7.8

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.