Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Periodic malware scanners
  • Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
  • Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
  • Norton Power Eraser
Malware sample testing
I do participate in malware testing. See details about my testing environment below.
Browser(s) and extensions
Mozilla Firefox
Secure DNS
NextDNS :
  • Security : All, Excluded - Google Safe Browsing
  • Block Top-Level Domains : 62 TLDs in Total
  • Privacy : All, unchecked - Allow Affiliate & Tracking Links
  • Native Tracking Protection - All
  • Blocklists : Steven Black + AdGuard DNS + Fanboy's Enhanced + BarbBlock
  • Parental Control Categories - None
  • Custom Allow & Deny list
  • Storage location : Switzerland, Retention - 1 month
  • All the options are checked, excluding :
    • Log clients IPs
    • Enable Block Page
  • Rewrites - None
Desktop VPN
  • Mullvad - in Main Gateway
Password manager
  • 1Password
  • Backup - Bitwarden
Maintenance tools
File and Photo backup
System recovery
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Downloading malware samples
Computer specs
  • CPU : Ryzen 9 3950X
  • GPU : GIGABYTE RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10G
  • Mobo : ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero
  • RAM : Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (2x16GB)
  • Cooler : Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black
  • PSU : Seasonic Prime TX-750
  • Case : Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black
  • NVMe M.2 : WD Black SN850 500Gb - System
  • NVMe M.2 : Samsung 980 Pro 2TB - Games
  • SATA SSD : Kingston A400 1.92TB - Storage
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
can also be done in Adguard Windows even tho I don't really see the use case of that. ;)
CanvasBlocker can protect against the following fingerprintings

1615594822894.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
CanvasBlocker have some extra functions like changing user-agent that's why I am not removing it yet.

Decentraleyes just working fine even it hasn't updated for a long time so will keep it for now but will think about removing HTTPS Everywhere.

Adguard doesn't have an extensive amount of parameters compares to ClearURL, until adguard updates there parameters I will stick with ClearURL
My current adguard parameters are:

utm_source,utm_medium,utm_term,utm_content,utm_campaign,utm_referrer,yclid,gclid,fbclid,_openstat,fb_action_ids,fb_comment_id fb_action_types,fb_ref,fb_source,action_object_map,action_type_map,action_ref_map,gs_l,gs_Lcp,client,sclient,sei,gws_rd gs_gbg,gs_mss,gs_rn,ved,uact,_hsenc,_hsmi,__hssc,__hstc,hsCtaTracking,sc_campaign,sc_channel,sc_content,sc_medium,sc_outcome sc_geo,sc_country,elqTrackId,elqTrack,assetType,assetId,recipientId,campaignId,siteId,s_cid,itm_source,itm_medium,itm_campaign itm_content,itm_term,spReportId,spJobID,spUserID,spMailingID,hmb_campaign,hmb_medium,hmb_source,mkt_tok,mc_cid,mc_eid,pk_campaign pk_kwd,pk_source,pk_medium,pk_content,amp;utm_medium
You have duplicated utm_medium..............the top row 2nd item and the last row last item

You can also add some missing tracking parameters from below

Can consider TRACE extension in FF. With your CanvasBlocker they'll form a powerful pair against fingerprintings

Also, if you are using NextDNS (DoT) and runs with your VPN you'll face some problems because the VPN provider uses its own secure DNS. Running regular DNS with VPN should be ok but not DoT/DoH

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
CanvasBlocker can protect against the following fingerprintings

View attachment 255433
I meant that Adguard Windows can also switch user agent, not that it can prevent fingerprinting.

I still don't understand why people recommend extensions to spoof fingerprints... The less extensions you use, the closer the browser is to a fresh installed one. Extensions that modify webpages in a way like CanvasBlocker does, just make your fingerprint more unique, cause the majority of people who aren't tech savvy wouldn't even touch such extensions. So you basically just put yourself in a small group of users who actually use that extension and make you more identifiable than the wide mass who doesn't use it.

Great article about the topic: How Canvas Fingerprint Blockers Make You Easily Trackable - Multilogin

Unbenannt.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I meant that Adguard Windows can also switch user agent, not that it can prevent fingerprinting.

I still don't understand why people recommend extensions to spoof fingerprints... The less extensions you use, the closer the browser is to a fresh installed one. Extensions that modify webpages in a way like CanvasBlocker does, just make your fingerprint more unique, cause the majority of people who aren't tech savvy wouldn't even touch such extensions. So you basically just put yourself in a small group of users who actually use that extension and make you more identifiable than the wide mass who doesn't use it.

Great article about the topic: How Canvas Fingerprint Blockers Make You Easily Trackable - Multilogin

View attachment 255461
There are 3 ways you can handle fingerprints

1) Block them
2) Randomized them
3) Fake them

You decide which to use. The article you posted talks about blocking and randomizing them which makes you outstanding from the crowd. Also, it talks of canvas fingerprinting only. There are many other types of fingerprints

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus and Kongo

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
There are 3 ways you can handle fingerprints

1) Block them
2) Randomized them
3) Fake them

You decide which to use. The article you posted talks about blocking them which makes you outstanding from the crowd
Well, the extension is called CanvasBlocker, so I assumed that it's blocking them.

About randomizing fingerprints (same article):

Unbenannt.PNG

Possible solution:

Unbenannt.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Well, the extension is called CanvasBlocker, so I assumed that it's blocking them.

About randomizing fingerprints (same article):

View attachment 255462

Possible solution:

View attachment 255464
1615639472205.png

The articles you posted want the users to fake the canvas fingerprints and change it when necessary

CanvasBlocker and Trace extensions allow the user to protect against different types of fingerprints

Reactions: Kongo
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Useful article. Thanks!
Therefore, badness enumeration doesn't work as i wrote many times already. Same also for blocking (Ad+Tracking) content.

Nice to see people moving more to a non-extension browser config. Also, a lot of work is already done at Upstream (Browser) so user can more easily hiding in the masses.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Useful article. Thanks!
Therefore, badness enumeration doesn't work as i wrote many times already. Same also for blocking (Ad+Tracking) content.

Nice to see people moving more to a non-extension browser config. Also, a lot of work is already done at Upstream (Browser) so user can more easily hiding in the masses.
Have to give credits to you actually, cause you made me ditch most of my extensions and made me read more into fingerprint protection. Thanks for that! ;)

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
View attachment 255465

The articles you posted want the users to fake the canvas fingerprints and change it when necessary

CanvasBlocker and Trace extensions allow the user to protect against different types of fingerprints
So does privacy.resistFingerprinting and the fingerprint protection which is enabled by default in the enhanced tracking protection settings.

Reactions: Venustus

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So does privacy.resistFingerprinting and the fingerprint protection which is enabled by default in the enhanced tracking protection settings.

Yes, it does but only the below (so far) are protected

Quote from your mozilla link

However, the Canvas Permission Prompt is not the only thing that Fingerprinting Protection is doing. Fingerprinting Detection changes how you are detected online:

• Your timezone is reported to be UTC
  • Not all fonts installed on your computer are available to webpages
  • The browser window prefers to be set to a specific size
  • Your browser reports a specific, common version number and operating system
  • Your keyboard layout and language is disguised
  • Your webcam and microphone capabilities are disguised
  • The Media Statistics Web API reports misleading information
  • Any Site-Specific Zoom settings are not applied
  • The WebSpeech, Gamepad, Sensors, and Performance Web APIs are disabled
This is not an exhaustive list - other features may be altered or disabled.

Unquote

If the above overlaps into CanvasBlocker and Trace extensions then disable those in the extensions.

One example is the User-Agent in my FF v86.0.1 reported as below at browserleaks.com. So no need of any change/randomizing of User-Agent in Adguard for Windows/Trace/CanvasBlocker.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

This is not an exhaustive list - other features may be altered or disabled.
The more settings you change, the more unique your configuration becomes and the easier it is for people to identify you.
Safari currently handles this best. Tor Browser developers also advise this but fail massively because of their own UI for implementation.

The browser fingerprint test pages don't work either. none of them checks real tracking which happens on the server side and therefore cannot be manipulated or blocked on the client side.

The only what you're achieve which your tweaks are crippling down your browser and browsing experience.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.